Using stem as cable stop to allow slammed stem

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

skiandbikecmh

by skiandbikecmh

I am currently using a headset spacer cable cross bike. I would like to slam my stem all the way down. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with drilling their stem as a cable stop. I was talking to the Thomson rep at gloucester and he said that if you drill in through the side and out through the bottom, that it passed their fatigue tests. Not sure if this would be true with all stems or if anyone has any experience with it. I have a Ritchey WCS 4-Axis stem. On my pit bike I have a Cannondale OEM C3 stem (125 grams!) My pit bike doesn't need to be slammed, but I would prefer it.
My Bike:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110318" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ricerocket

by ricerocket

Just go mini-V?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

If the thomson stem passes their fatigue tests with two holes drilled in the middle of their extension, then every one of their stems should come with those holes predrilled. Theyre clearly not trying hard enough.

truebeliever

by truebeliever

You can call Thomson and ask for a diagram on where to drill.

thisisatest wrote:If the thomson stem passes their fatigue tests with two holes drilled in the middle of their extension, then every one of their stems should come with those holes predrilled. Theyre clearly not trying hard enough.
\
Not everyone has cantis

TerribleCadence

by TerribleCadence

Could you not just use a fork mounted hanger, such as the Kinesis RC09 hanger?
FELT AR0 Now sold.
CAAD10 Force 22, Quarq, Ksyrium SLR
LOOK 695 Light, Force22, Zipp 303.

skiandbikecmh

by skiandbikecmh

Unfortunately not, my fork is carbon monocoque and therefore I cannot bolt through it
My Bike:

YoKaiser

by YoKaiser

What about the FSA headset.

Or the Ritchey one

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

truebeliever wrote:You can call Thomson and ask for a diagram on where to drill.

thisisatest wrote:If the thomson stem passes their fatigue tests with two holes drilled in the middle of their extension, then every one of their stems should come with those holes predrilled. Theyre clearly not trying hard enough.
\
Not everyone has cantis

i kinda meant that they should drill their stems for weight savings, or thin out the walls, etc.

SlipperyT

by SlipperyT

"if you drill in through the side and out through the bottom, that it passed their fatigue tests"

A little strange a stem with hypothetical holes in a conversation could pass actual tests. Tests actually mean tests, and not talk.

skiandbikecmh

by skiandbikecmh

The thomson representative said that he drilled holes in one of their stems and then put it through their fatigue tests. It was not hypothetical, sorry for the confunsion.

Regarding the using a headset cable stop, That is what I am using. The issue is that the housing bend is very severe, so the brake feels like trash, and I want to put my stem even lower, aka no headset spacer cable stop.
My Bike:

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Some people in your situation offset the cable stop to one side for housing clearance, and readjust the brake accordingly. Not a perfect solution, but its better.

Snicks

by Snicks

This is what I will be doing when my cross bike finally comes together.
Attachments
drilledStem.jpg

jonbek

by jonbek

I offset it over the stem and the hanger is like at one o'clock.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Does that stem have an extra ridge along the top of the extension, or is the light playing tricks on me?

Snicks

by Snicks

The article that I pulled that from said only this:

"This Thomson stem was drilled out by JC Breslin, one of his sponsored racers. He put it in a drill press and says he’s run it for a couple seasons with no issues."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com