So what's the verdict on the CX disc debate?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

For your next cyclocross bike, which brakes will you use

Disc's
63%
Canti's
26%
V's
12%

Total votes: 112

gummee

by gummee

I'll agree with whomever said that cx is where mtb was in the mid-90s. With the exception that people KNOW that discs work.

I pooh-poohed discs till I rode em on a muddy mtn bike ride on a borrowed bike. Same stopping wet, dry, or muddy. :thumb

As little as I ride my mtn bike, I'm OK with it being a mullet right now. I could see a cx mullet being OK. After all, that rear brake doesn't do much when you get all your weight transferred to the front wheel.

What I really don't like is the manufacturers pushing discs like they're the best thing since sliced bread. Set up your cantis right and discs're nicer, but not all that and a bag of chips.

M

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

gummee wrote:I'll agree with whomever said that cx is where mtb was in the mid-90s. With the exception that people KNOW that discs work.

And except for the fact that the braking requirements of 'cross and MTB are quite different...

4crosswheels

by 4crosswheels

The limiting factor for braking is always tyre traction, having the choice or bikes from my sponsors mean this year I chose to stick with canti's. Where as I now ride lighter bikes with unequalled stopping power.I have carbons with swiss stop pads and Cx9 v brakes.They dont rub even in deep mud and I out brake canti riders. Why would I bother racing with a heavier system? If your racing at an elite level I think that it makes no sense as we can change onto identical bikes every half laps. However If I was racing by myself with one bike and No pit crew I would go for disk brakes.But Trust me disk brakes or no disk brakes when your racing down a hill in 40cm mud in december in belgium you change every half lap regardless and its too muddy to brake on either system.... thats my view anyway.
Bruce

Rich_W

by Rich_W

great points Bruce - especially on the tire traction factor and system weight :thumbup:

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Of course I'm just stoking the fire again :mrgreen:

But check out this GoPro clip of the Koksijde course. Obviously the guy is running discs when you hear him brake after the sand.

Listen at 4:00 and worse... 6:06 into the clip. Yikes. Like nails on a blackboard. Sent my cat running out of the room when she heard it! :unbelievable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dWQO9hdBLU

limba

by limba

Every cross race I've ever heard has noisy, squealing brakes.

Edit: I just watched the video. It's one of the quietest cycling videos I've ever seen/heard. The shifters make as much noise as the brakes. :noidea:

edesigner

by edesigner

I have two cross bikes with cantis (with carbon tubes for racing), a hardtail with V's and a FS with discs.. I absolutely love the discs in any conditions EXCEPT when they make noise and that "grinding grit feel".. in a cross race that would be like.. EVERYWHERE :lol:

Nys mentioned in that link about the distracting noise as well. Also color me a traditionalist but discs on cross bikes just look wrong.

Privateer

by Privateer

Rich_W wrote:But check out this GoPro clip of the Koksijde course. Obviously the guy is running discs when you hear him brake after the sand.

That sounds to me more like brake pads on a carbon rim. Do you know who the rider is? Chances are if it's a European he's not on discs.

At any rate it didn't sound particularly loud to me- no more noisy than his shifters or freehub.

elmar schrauth
Shop Owner

by elmar schrauth

thats the typical "sand on carbonrimnoise"

zambony

by zambony

As for myself, I choose canti for my new build; but only for compatibility issue. I have 2 bikes (TT and CX), and when I go for a training camp; I bring the CX with 2-3 sets of wheels.

For pure CX, my choice would have been disc...

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Come on guys... no way that sound is sandy pads on carbon rims... to sharp of a screech. That is sand on metal.

Anyway... will continue to look for more ways to stoke the anti :laughat: CX-disc topic!

edesigner

by edesigner

Rich_W wrote:Come on guys... no way that sound is sandy pads on carbon rims... to sharp of a screech. That is sand on metal.

Anyway... will continue to look for more ways to stoke the anti :laughat: CX-disc topic!

If the overall sound weren't so "tinny" which would explain that awful noise possibly being produced by cantis :lol: Wasn't Powers the only racer doing a WC race on discs anyway?

elmar schrauth
Shop Owner

by elmar schrauth

i have been riding carbonrims for decades in cx.
sometimes so long, that they have been worn out from braking.
and i ride disc on mtb, since years
i know what i am writing about

elmar schrauth
Shop Owner

by elmar schrauth

Rich_W wrote:Of course I'm just stoking the fire again :mrgreen:

But check out this GoPro clip of the Koksijde course. Obviously the guy is running discs when you hear him brake after the sand.

Listen at 4:00 and worse... 6:06 into the clip. Yikes. Like nails on a blackboard. Sent my cat running out of the room when she heard it! :unbelievable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dWQO9hdBLU

check his Facebook account
he is riding canti

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com