So what's the verdict on the CX disc debate?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

For your next cyclocross bike, which brakes will you use

Disc's
63%
Canti's
26%
V's
12%

Total votes: 112

limba

by limba

Awesome job posting a quiet video of a guy riding cantis to show us how noisy discs are. FAIL.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

limba wrote:Awesome job posting a quiet video of a guy riding cantis to show us how noisy discs are. FAIL.

:welcome:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

edesigner

by edesigner

limba wrote:Awesome job posting a quiet video of a guy riding cantis to show us how noisy discs are. FAIL.

In fairness he was wrong about the actual hardware, but the video clip did correctly replicate that horrid, nail on a chalkboard torture that is foreign matter on a disc surface :) I will admit despite not loving the look of discs on Cross Bikes .... if I could have a cold weather cross racer where snow is present.. discs wouldn't be bad.

doubleD

by doubleD

Rich, we have met once before. Will you do the little race in NJ this weekend?
If so ride my bike w/ discs for a few laps.

elmar schrauth
Shop Owner

by elmar schrauth

i prefer "nail on a chalkboard noises" rather from a disc, than from my carbonrim

Doyler

by Doyler

I notice that Stybar rode with disc brakes at Boonen's charity CX race.

limba

by limba

Apparently he didn't ride with discs. He just switched his bike on the last lap so it would be in the pictures when he crossed the finish line.

I wasn't there. That's what I read.

:noidea:

limba

by limba

Here are the best pics so far of the new Red discs.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/12/ ... xla_267379

Doyler

by Doyler

limba wrote:Apparently he didn't ride with discs. He just switched his bike on the last lap so it would be in the pictures when he crossed the finish line.

I wasn't there. That's what I read.

:noidea:

That's possible, cos I didn't notice them until the end of the race. I'll watch the vid again. Seems to me that some riders are only on them for sponsorship reasons. I had a discussion with one person at the weekend asking why the likes of Nys doesn't use them. Apart from the fact that he probably doesn't need them, cost might be a factor. He is probably retiring soon, so changing 30 odd wheels, or whatever amount he has, probably doesn't make sense for him. But what do I know?

Geoff

by Geoff

Nys? Worried about the expense? He is a sponsored rider at the top of the sport! He doesn't ride discs because he doesn't trust them for 'cross. Note that he used discs for XC... :beerchug:

JBV

by JBV

Doyler wrote:I haven't checked extensively but it seems like more of the American pros are using discs: Powers, Trebon, Johnson (I think) to name a few that I have noticed. Whereas the Europeans are still on rim brakes.

The manufacturers are the ones driving it. Nearly all the top Americans are SRAM sponsored, whereas the Europeans are almost exclusively Shimano. When Shimano has a product, expect to see their riders on them.

LeePaton

by LeePaton

JBV wrote:
Doyler wrote:I haven't checked extensively but it seems like more of the American pros are using discs: Powers, Trebon, Johnson (I think) to name a few that I have noticed. Whereas the Europeans are still on rim brakes.

The manufacturers are the ones driving it. Nearly all the top Americans are SRAM sponsored, whereas the Europeans are almost exclusively Shimano. When Shimano has a product, expect to see their riders on them.

Stybar has bikes that are disc equipped, shows them off on twitter, but still uses canti's for racing.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

XC mountina bikes are almost exclusively on discs now. Now while I ride a MTB with canti for XC riding the braking is poor compared to my disc brake XC MTB.

If I was riding my XC bike of CX type track I know which bike would give me better braking. Why there is even a debate I do not know.

I'm sure when Tuilo came up with the quick release there were many who said they don't need it or want it That was industry driven, he created an entire company around it. In fact if the naysayers had there way there would be no advancement and we would still be riding bone shakers. Maybe this a little harsh but I think discs are a good idea.

limba

by limba

There's a debate because in cyclocross racing you don't have to stop. You use your brakes to slow down. Cantis work well enough and they're a lot lighter.
Current disc brakes are heavy and have and on/off type feel. By the end of 2013 we will see the 2014 bikes with RED discs and then in 2014-15 hopefully we'll see Dura-Ace discs. When Shimano makes something serious it's over for cantis.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

People will eventually figure it out: http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/01/ ... mud_271112" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :beerchug: