What's the best single ring setup

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

CXrider

by CXrider

Hello,

i'm already looking for my single ring setup for next season.
I was thinking of the K-Edge solution until I saw the problems with the Sunweb team.
The last four races(Rome, Hoogerheide, Worlds & Maldegem) they had each problems with it.
I'm looking now for something like the MRP guide. Someone know if there is a variant available for 44t or 46t

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

Granted I ride no where near the pace of the pros but having used a K-Edge with a mechanical Dura Ace 7900 front mech and SRM Hollowgram all season. Seems like for single ring, either the K-Edge Cross Single Chain Catcherl or Cross Single XL Chain Catcher would be a sturdy solution.
Last edited by ms6073 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

JBV

by JBV

Double guards will always be more reliable than any watcher on the inside, and little to no weight penalty.

I suspect some of the problems you see when riders switch to a single ring setup is leaving the chain too long, you need a shorter chain for single ring than for a double setup.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Agreed on making your chain as short as possible.

I've had better luck with the E13 XCX style catchers than any of the other setups.

I have used an outer guard and an N gear Jump stop with success as well. I don't like the straight up/down profile of the K-edge stuff. The Jump Stop has a nice angle on it to help keep the chain on or push it back on if it does pop off.

If you run Sram, you should just get an x9 or X0 type 2 rear mtb der. You'll have no chain slap and never drop a chain again.

limba

by limba

Next season? Don't buy anything right now. Wait and see if SRAM does XX1 for cross. You'd pick your front ring (48/46/44/42) depending on the course and have a big ass cassette in the back.

maddog 2

by maddog 2

Not had any issues with a N-gear jumpstop and a BBG guard here.

jonbek

by jonbek

limba wrote:Next season? Don't buy anything right now. Wait and see if SRAM does XX1 for cross. You'd pick your front ring (48/46/44/42) depending on the course and have a big ass cassette in the back.

this.

CXrider

by CXrider

Already some news about the special 1x10 chainrings?

mjduct

by mjduct

I'm running 10 speed Campy 42 up front on a Vuelta "flat" ring and 13-29 in the back (of course 2 weeks after I bought the cassette Campy released a 12-30!!!)

ohsnapitsed

by ohsnapitsed

mjduct wrote:I'm running 10 speed Campy 42 up front on a Vuelta "flat" ring and 13-29 in the back (of course 2 weeks after I bought the cassette Campy released a 12-30!!!)

I have my eyes on a 12-30 for this season. Not sure what I am going to end up doing in the front. Interested in how your Vuelta setup works out.

jonbek

by jonbek

The last three seasons I ran SRAM Force 1x10 with dual chain guards up front and never lost a chain, though I'm sure it was slightly heavy.

This year I'm running SRAM Red 22 in a 1x11 set-up with dual Ruckus Comp chain guards, and I think it's going to rock. :twisted:

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

There is a guy on ebay (user name morecowbell if I recall correctly) who makes custom carbon fiber chain guards. I bought two from him to run a single 42t chainring (one inside, one outside). I purchased some extra-long chainring bolts online from cyclocrossworld. The entire setup cost under US$100.00. I have not dropped a chain with this setup.

velohorst

by velohorst

I've only raced cross one season. But I built up a bike with SRAM force cranks, thorne 42T chainring with an FSA Cyclocross carbon fiber chainguard, 11-36 cassette, X9 rear derailleur, and k-edge cross single chain catcher. Stronger riders could run an 11-32 or bigger gear in the back. I'd echo what others have written about correct chain length. You also need to make sure you buy a front chainring that doesn't have ramps or pins. I've had no issues with chain drops with this setup.

A 1x11 would be sweet too.

AaronKellogg

by AaronKellogg

Definitely a +1 on the clutched rear D. My friend who has one swears by it.

Briscoelab wrote:Agreed on making your chain as short as possible.

I've had better luck with the E13 XCX style catchers than any of the other setups.

I have used an outer guard and an N gear Jump stop with success as well. I don't like the straight up/down profile of the K-edge stuff. The Jump Stop has a nice angle on it to help keep the chain on or push it back on if it does pop off.

If you run Sram, you should just get an x9 or X0 type 2 rear mtb der. You'll have no chain slap and never drop a chain again.

grover

by grover

I should be receiving this this week. Off to the anodiser today and then to my hot little hand!

It's a 130bcd, 42 tooth ring with thick/thin tooth profiling (similar to the XX1 mountain bike group). He can also do them ovalised aka Rotor rings.

I got it made by a Melbourne based company - Fetha components - http://www.fetha.com.au/

If the stars align I'll be installing it with an X0 type 2 rear mech and S700 hydro disc brakes prior to our national round next weekend.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com