First Cross Race Sunday, 1 Hour to Train

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

EpicriderGMAC

by EpicriderGMAC

So I am rcaing in my first cross race this weekend on Sunday morning.

I am borrowing a cross bike, and won't get the bike setup until Saturday afternoon. Therefore, I won't have a whole lot of time to train and get used to riding it before the race Sunday.

So what should I practice with 1 hour to train? I was just planning on practicing my dismounts in an empty park and also a few high speed corners. Other than that, I'm just trying to survive!

I'm racing two races Sunday, a short 30min warmup race, and then the 45min B's race.

Any hints, tips, or secrets to practice for the race so I don't biff it while trying to bunnyhop the first barrier at 25mph?
"It doesn't get any easier--You just get faster."
-Greg Lemond-

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

well, first off unless you're the state bunny hop champ, don't try to BH an 18 inch barrier.

That being said, this is my first season of CX, and I didn't really practice at all before lining up. However, my first dismounts would have been much cleaner if I had practiced. HAve you raced road, MTB, BMX before? If so, you should be good to go. Getting through a CX race is easy, getting the technique to be really fast takes experience, and the best experience comes from racing. Good luck and have fun!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Irish

by Irish

Just relax & enjoy it, if your a roadie the main thing to remember is to have FUN.I rode my first cx race in 2 years 2 weeks ago, didnt do any training ,finished near to last but had a great time.Faster than the MTB'ers on the hard pack stuff but couldn't dismount/run for sh1t....

EpicriderGMAC

by EpicriderGMAC

I've raced quite a bit of MTB and Road crits and RR's before, so I'm no newbie to the cycling scene.

I just spent 1.5 hours outside on my road bike messing around, practicing dismounts and run ups with no clips, just normal shoes. It was a blast, I can't wait to try it at Cross State Chaps on Sunday!
-Greg Lemond-

EpicriderGMAC

by EpicriderGMAC

Thanks for the tips, I had a blast! I had some major problems with the chain, however--it dropped off the front ring at least 5 times during the race. I thought I had the race in the bag until I dropped the chain--and then again--and then again--and then......

You get the idea. I still got some cash, even with the mechanicals. I'm definatly going to build up my own cross bike for next year so I can race some of this stuff....its a great mix of mtb and road riding. I love it!

-Greg Lemond-

EpicriderGMAC

by EpicriderGMAC

Oh yeah.....

Any tips on a good set of CHEAPER aluminum tubular cross wheels to get? If there is not a good prebuilt set, what is the best tubular rim to build up to a set of cheap hubs for cross?

I used an old Tufo tubular on the front, it was great...now I'm hooked on tubies. 30psi is smoothhhhhhhh.
-Greg Lemond-

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

get a good set of hubs and then find some older new rims on ebay, there are tons of them.