Is raw uncoated carbon frame ok for cyclocross

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

mikeyg

by mikeyg

The above question really. I am getting a carbon CX frame, and thinking of getting it in uncoated (not matt), to save weight. Is this a bad idea for durability issues?

Kegelhoff

by Kegelhoff

I wouldn't do it unless you plan on doing some kind of clear coat yourself. In testing here at work we find that clear coat paint definitely adds longevity to keep the resin from breaking down in carbon fiber. We use a special UV inhibiter in our resin for perpreg carbon fiber (we actually make our own carbon prepreg) as do most others conpanies but the clear coat helps protect the carbon, same as the paint on your car.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mikeyg

by mikeyg

Thanks, thats what i thought. I have seen raw road frames which makes more sense.

I assume its an epoxy overcoat as opposed to a pre-layup gel coat?

Also, in theory could carbon fibre be clearcoated with PTFE in the epoxy clearcoat? I believe its been used in decorating paints and impregnation for anodizing. Just wondering if it would stick?

Kegelhoff

by Kegelhoff

Actually Urathane 2-part coating over the graphite.
Some pretty interesting questions ... I actually called our paint supplier who makes paint for all the "Big automotive guys" and they said it is actually possible to add the PTFE to urathane but they don't know what the long term durability would be. Could be interesting though if you could make a "slick coating" where you could just easily wipe down the bike a few days after the race or have the mud just fall off your bike during the race.

We now have a super light weight coating we have been playing with for a few months that only adds about 10 grams to an entire frame. Cool stuff !!! But, the downside is that it isn't as durable as a automotive Urathane clear coat finish.

mikeyg wrote:Thanks, thats what i thought. I have seen raw road frames which makes more sense.

I assume its an epoxy overcoat as opposed to a pre-layup gel coat?

Also, in theory could carbon fibre be clearcoated with PTFE in the epoxy clearcoat? I believe its been used in decorating paints and impregnation for anodizing. Just wondering if it would stick?

vcnz

by vcnz

As far durability may concern, I wouldn't even suggest a carbon frame for cyclocross. Uncoated is even worst

mikeyg

by mikeyg

Any particular reasoning behind that? Would you say the same for carbon mtb frames?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Doctor Who

by Doctor Who

Aren't we over our fears that carbon fiber is a material only suited for road bikes? Any race nowadays either has tons of guys on CF frames and steel Surlys. :)

Get that carbon coated with a matte or gloss and race it.