32h aluminium tubular rims?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Can anyone give some pointers on how to determine if I should replace the rims of my Reflex wheelset or if they have another season of life left in them? I bought them second hand (don't know how old they are I'm afraid) and used them for two seasons of cyclocross.
Last edited by the_marsbar on Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

OK I have been told if there's more than 1 mm wear, the rims should be replaced. It looks like that's the case.

They are 32h. Would I be better off with another rim? Velocity Major Tom? Something else?

jooo

by jooo

The Major Tom or the KinLin TB25 would both be good replacements. They weigh slightly more than the Reflex but are stronger rims. The KinLin is probably the nicer rim but the Major Tom has the wider gluing surface so take your pick really.

The HED Belgium C2 tubular is a good option. Probably nicer than the other two but a little less common and about twice the price depending on where you get all of the above from. If you're happy with more weight still, there's also the Ambrosio Nemesis.

If you want lighter options, try NOS on Ebay or maybe even the Velocity Escape if you're not too hard on gear.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Thanks!

The Major Toms are listed at 432 g each, Escapes at 390 g, Mavic lists the Reflex at 360 g each. Are these weights to be trusted?

I'd like the wheelset not to gain any weight. I weigh around 70 kgs at the moment, the current Reflexes have held up just fine.

Are there any lighter options than the Reflex?

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

I cannot speak for all of the rims, but the Toms seem to be pretty consistent around that weight.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I'll be going for Reflex's again then. The others are heavy and apparently also hard to get here (UK).

cerro

by cerro

Don't miss Ambrosio Crono F20, better rimshape than Refley I think. More flat so easier to glue cxtubulars better on them.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

They look nice! Do you know where to get them?

jooo

by jooo

Starbike

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

The reflex is much heavier than the 360g claimed weight. They are around 400g (sometimes over). I also don't like them for cx tires, as the center channel where the eyelets are needs to be built up with glue to get good adhesion.

The Major Tom is a nice rim, the HED Belgium is better though.

I've used the Escape in the past, but wouldn't now that the wider rim options are available. However, the TB25 makes an excellent cross wheelset, as it has good stiffness (even if it is a bit narrow).

The F20 is a bit too weak for cross (IMO), but the Nemesis is excellent.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Unfortunately I've already ordered a pair of Reflex rims. I'll have to just live with them. Thanks anyway, now I have some good references if I decide to build another wheelset :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mtbwrx

by mtbwrx

I have a pair of slightly used 32 hole reflex rims/no hubs/no spokes

I would sell if anyone is interested.