Shaving weight off a TCX

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

jonbek

by jonbek

Question for the experts:

I have a 2011 Giant TCX frame with Sram Force on it. I've raced it for two seasons and I'm at a point where I either want to reduce the weight of the bike or upgrade the frame.

Would upgrading the stock carbon/alu steerer fork to an Enve unit (rated at 450 gr) reduce the weight much? I am unsure what the stock fork weighs. Anyone know?

Beyond that I have a Pro Vibe 7S bars and stem, and the Giant 30.9 SLR carbon setpost. So I may shave 110 gr or so there by upgrading to all Enve components.

My current wheel set is DT Swiss 240 hubs and Hed C2 rims.

I'm pressed as I don't see a lot of room for reduction in my current set-up—single ring front, no fd, no cages etc—unless the fork yields big savings and I possibly upgrade to all SRAM RED and throw on some insanely expensive tubulars. Perhaps at that point it would be smarter and more cost effective to buy a new bike and use the TCX as my 'B' bike?

Opinions?

Version 2.0 by selectro-ed, on Flickr

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

I would go for a lighter frame or tubular wheelset - ofcourse you can lighten the bike by changing all the components but compared to the cost I think you will be better off with my suggestions.

If your fork is with alu shaft and carbon blades I guess the weight is around 750 grams.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jonbek

by jonbek

Thanks for the response. Neither Easton nor Enve make a compatible fork. So I think I've decided to upgrade the pedals, wheels, and seat this year and then get a new frame next year. Appreciate it!

joeyruan
in the industry

by joeyruan

jonbek wrote:Thanks for the response. Neither Easton nor Enve make a compatible fork. So I think I've decided to upgrade the pedals, wheels, and seat this year and then get a new frame next year. Appreciate it!

good decision :up:

ms6073

by ms6073

jonbek wrote:Thanks for the response. Neither Easton nor Enve make a compatible fork.

Why cant you use the Enve Cross 1.5" Tapered fork to replace the stock fork on your TCX?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Frans

by Frans

When I really blow up that pic I can appreciate what a nice rig that is:
- you have a short cage derailleur
- single chainring
- sram shifters which are the lightest
- great wheels - those are top top wheels b/c the wider rim should give you a nice riding tyre profile

Any gram-shaving would be tinkering around the edges very expe$ively! For example,
- carbon or alu in-line post like a woodman or KCNC or Easton EC90
- lighter saddle
- narrower/shallower bars

I have a M/L TCX and the fork is ~640g IIRC so you could lose 100 grams with an ENVE fork but the Giant for is stiff, it's less judder-prone than my Van Dessel FTB which is also 1.5" but has a carbon steerer - so there you go...

Just race the snot outta it and save your dosh for the TCX Advanced which is pure sex on dirt in my opionion, even if the BB is a little high...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

A few suggestions in cost ascending order:

Alligator Ilinks
Lighter pedals. I can’t quite work out what you are running
Lighter post (enve are not the lightest, new ultimate is probably better weight vs cost ratio)
Lighter Saddle? Again i can’t quite work out what you have on there
Carbon bars ( 7S’s are Alu right?)
Clavicula or Hollowgram crank
Carbon tubs
New Frame
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde