Cannondale SuperX Force 1 SE

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

menkar

by menkar

Just picked up the gravel version of Cannondale's carbon cross bike in size 56. Weight is 18.90 lb, stock, no pedals, 10.22 lb, no wheels. They say it's tubeless ready and it really was. It came with valves and when I took out the tubes the rims were already taped. Haven't ridden it much yet because of all the smoke from the California fires but so far so good.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

menkar wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:54 am
Just picked up the gravel version of Cannondale's carbon cross bike in size 56. Weight is 18.90 lb, stock, no pedals, 10.22 lb, no wheels. They say it's tubeless ready and it really was. It came with valves and when I took out the tubes the rims were already taped. Haven't ridden it much yet because of all the smoke from the California fires but so far so good.
Let's see some pictures!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

When I'd ride Angel's Crest and Glendora Mtn I'd see all the dirt roads heading off and think that seemed like a great place to use a gravel bike for mixed surface centuries. I was wondering how long Cannondale would try to market the Slate to this crowd before just selling a "normal" gravel bike. I wouldn't want to ride the fat 650 tires and haul that fork around on the long pavement sections and climbs.
Same frame/fork as the CX bike or different geo?

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Lelandjt wrote:When I'd ride Angel's Crest and Glendora Mtn I'd see all the dirt roads heading off and think that seemed like a great place to use a gravel bike for mixed surface centuries. I was wondering how long Cannondale would try to market the Slate to this crowd before just selling a "normal" gravel bike. I wouldn't want to ride the fat 650 tires and haul that fork around on the long pavement sections and climbs.
Friend of mine was getting this built up at a local shop.

I'd love to throw some gravel tires and mid depth carbon rims on this beast. Haven't heard how much it weighs but I'm guessing it's light.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Looking at the Cannondale website I see "SE" models that appear to be based on their endurance and cyclocross framesets so it appears they took the framesets they already have with sufficient tire clearance and specced "gravel" wheels and gearing. Seems fine so long as the Synapse based models don't end up with a tall BB and the CX ones with twitchy handling.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

menkar

by menkar

Lelandjt wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:35 am
Same frame and fork but has gravel friendly wheels and gears.
LeDuke wrote: I'd love to throw some gravel tires and mid depth carbon rims on this beast. Haven't heard how much it weighs but I'm guessing it's light.
See my original post for weights. I saved some weight going to tubeless. I'll probably eventually change out the cassette which is rather heavy at 1.2 lb.
Lelandjt wrote: Looking at the Cannondale website I see "SE" models that appear to be based on their endurance and cyclocross framesets so it appears they took the framesets they already have with sufficient tire clearance and specced "gravel" wheels and gearing. Seems fine so long as the Synapse based models don't end up with a tall BB and the CX ones with twitchy handling.
I've ridden it a bit now and it's not at all twitchy. Very stable on loose downhills but maybe slightly less responsive when going slow.