ETAP 1x

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

stormur

by stormur

Miller wrote:Does anyone worry about putting a super-expensive rear mech on a gravel bike or is that just me?

Welcome to the club :mrgreen:

From my point of view it is sometimes reasonable to sacrifice some weight for durability and reliability.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

by Weenie

dalgas

by dalgas

Nice.

Bream

by Bream

If/when I upgrade the CX bike from CX1 I'd be tempted to go eTap, seriously impressed with it since I fitted it to my road bike.

stormur

by stormur

don't fit to CX bike anything you can't easy ( for the wallet ) replace. If €/£/$ is not a problem... why not ? Nturally if you won't ride it in cold environment. By cold I mean COLD. It can and will drain any battery faster than you expect.
Mark Twain

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I agree with you Stormur, i have noted a really big difference in battery drainage.
However, (6870) Di2 is a blast over mechanical.

I wouldn't use Etap for gravel. I am a bit sceptical on that battery on the RD in case of a crash.
Weather here, snow, ice then rain and again cold, more ice aso..
A crash (or a few) is imminent,... sadly
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO D
Paduano Racing Fidia
Open *UP*
https://opencycle.com/showcase/the-xplo ... eelsonfire

stormur

by stormur

Di2 is or is not " a blast". It depends from your gloves thickness ;) I found 6870 buttons to small for me, so regardless shifting ( which wasn't better or worse than my anything mechanical, was just ... slower ) operating issue make me change it. New Di2 has bigger buttons ( wasn't my issue isolated ? ) so maybe some day....
If I have to go electronic and cold weather, then would like to have 1 big battery instead of few small ones. Just physics.

Installing few hunderd € component (for cross) which is most prone to damage in case of crash... No.
Mark Twain

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I would be amazed if you damaged a Di2 so easily.
I have in a few crashes ended up with bruises at the shifters. I used Sugru and made a bumper on my RD which works great.
No problems what so ever with my Di2. I heard a few guys managed to crack exploro ltd frame.
I had a tire deflate in a few seconds in a turn from tarmac to gravel. Did a serious flip and smashed myself and the bike pretty hard.
Nothing got damaged except cosmetics (looks like i've been using a file) on the shifters.
It's a freaking tank, the Open UP.
Back to Di2, if anyone says Di2 or a carbon frame doesn't stand a beating, It's not my experience
Sure a frame can crack, but that's most likely a thin wall and/ or a frame with stiffer/ brittle carbon.
I have one of those to...
Needles to say, if my Ax had seen a fraction of what my UP been through, i've had the worlds most expensive puzzle.

Sure, batteries can drain, but that is another thing.
Shimanos new battery (shimano bt-dn110) is better than the sm-br2. I had two of these failing.
The new, no problems what so ever.
Only thing that cracked was a helmet and a jacket got torned up.
Oh, and me :D
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO D
Paduano Racing Fidia
Open *UP*
https://opencycle.com/showcase/the-xplo ... eelsonfire

md255

by md255

I was hoping that this thread was going to feature an update on if/when SRAM was going to introduce an ETAP clutch rear derailleur. Anyone have any intel on this? I would pay big shekels for that.

cassard

by cassard

Hi guys !

I'm just contributing to the thread, since it rare to see this kind of build. I'm building a Stinner Gibraltar-D in 1x11 etap. I'll receive the components next week.

It won't be for cyclocross, but mostly for a mix of road/gravel 60/40.

As for now I'll use a 50T chainring with the wifli eTAP and I'll try to fit the new ultegra 11-34 cassette. Since the eTAP take up to 32t, I think I could squeeze the 34t. worst case scenario, I'll use the wolftooth extender.

Quick question for 1x11 eTap users. Chain drop, is it really an issue ? my cassette ratios aren't bigger than 3 teeth and I won't be doing mountain biking with it, but I'm still worried. Also, if I make the chain length the shortest possible (but to keep good shifting) can it help prevent chain dropping ?

I'll keep you updated !

cerro

by cerro

You don't have to worry with such a small cassette. I dropped my chain twice with 10-42 cassette and wolf tooth roadlink but that's when I've been on the 12-10 teeths so pretty slack chain.
/jonas l
http://cerrol.wordpress.com (my cyclingblog)