aquasure on basetape

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

beardking

by beardking

just finished aqua sure-ing my tubs tonight, and I've managed to get quite a bit on the base tape. will tub glue stick to this or do I need to rub/rough it off with some sand paper?

the tubs are vittorias and I have vittoria glue.
FFWD F6R ltd edition wheels should be arriving tomorrow :D

ms6073

by ms6073

beardking wrote:just finished aqua sure-ing my tubs tonight

Do your Vittoria's have cotton casings? If not, while this is common practive for Dugast tubulars for road and Cx, it is because those tires are handmade with cotton or silk casings which typically do not have any kind of protective layer to keep the casing from developing mold and rotting should they get wet. Vittorias typically already have a protective layer on the casing to prevent such damage from happening so really no need to take any additional precautions.

will tub glue stick to this or do I need to rub/rough it off with some sand paper?

Consider using a dinner knife or similar dull edged implement to scrape away excess sealant that may have gotten on the base tape.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

beardking

by beardking

wasn't really sealing them for protection, just to make the side walls easier to clean and keep looking fresh.
They might have had some sort of seal on the side already but the sidewalls looked and felt like they might absorb oil or dirt. and I figured there would be no harm in sealing them?

Geoff

by Geoff

You should get it off...

boysa

by boysa

No harm? What was the weight penalty?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny