pc7 like mount for Garmin 500?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JasperGr

by JasperGr

It's just my first post but after reading this topic i just bought a racewaredirect mount for my Garming Edge 500. I will post a picture and my opinion when i recieved the mount.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pawnii

by pawnii

does the original raceware mount work with a garmin 510?
2012 Scott Foil Premium

drmutley

by drmutley

pawnii wrote:does the original raceware mount work with a garmin 510?

Works fine... I broke 2 RWD mounts when going over bumps with my carbon ergonova bars, so go careful if your running carbon bars. Don't over tighten the tension nut... My first 510 got run over when the first RWD mount let go... My second was saved by the tether strap! I'm now running one of tilquists alloy mounts.. No probs now!

pawnii

by pawnii

thanks that's the exact answer i was hoping for :)
I wanted a tilquist alloy mount too but he was out of stock for a 3T ARX LTD stem a while ago.
2012 Scott Foil Premium

Tillquist

by Tillquist

pawnii wrote:thanks that's the exact answer i was hoping for :)
I wanted a tilquist alloy mount too but he was out of stock for a 3T ARX LTD stem a while ago.

I have the LTD Mount now :-)

Send me a mail ;-)
See all my bike h e r e

OhPinchy

by OhPinchy

Wow, who'd have thunk it that what would seem to be a simple thing like getting the perfect mount would be so complicated? From browsing this and other threads, it seems there's tonnes of different options and it's hard to keep up on which ones are the latest, pros and cons of each, so I'd really appreciate some current advice.

I'm looking for a mount for my Garmin Edge 500 for my road bike (31.8mm FSA K-Force carbon monocoque bars) and my TT bike (3T Pro alloy aero bars). On the road bike, I'd like the Garmin positioned a little in front of the stem and on the TT bike, I guess in between the aero bars would be ideal?

Which option is best for these positions and is also light and reliable (I'd rather pay a few quid extra and not have to worry about it possibly falling off and destroying my Garmin)? Thanks!

pawnii

by pawnii

drmutley wrote:
pawnii wrote:does the original raceware mount work with a garmin 510?

Works fine... I broke 2 RWD mounts when going over bumps with my carbon ergonova bars, so go careful if your running carbon bars. Don't over tighten the tension nut... My first 510 got run over when the first RWD mount let go... My second was saved by the tether strap! I'm now running one of tilquists alloy mounts.. No probs now!

Just got my 510 and at first it seems to fit perfectly on the original RWD mount...but the 510 sits so close to my 3T ARX LTD stem that any bump i hit makes the two rub together and gives you a annoyingly loud vibration sound.

Looks like I'm in the market for a new mount.

What's the best???
2012 Scott Foil Premium

ave

by ave

It took an awful lot of time that they came up with this.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

The problem (as I see it) with the mounts that involve the stem itself, either bolted to the faceplate or on the faceplate, is that while they may be beautiful piece of craftsmanship they are also subject to the angle of the stem & headtube. With a mount that utilizes the handlebar and is free to rotate, such as the RWD one, you can adjust the angle not only give a better viewing angle for you (and we're all different!), it may also be a little bit more aero heading into the win(d).

So if you've got your stem angled up, which some people do, then the Garmin's angle is affected as well, and it presents a larger surface area into the wind.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

drmutley

by drmutley

prendrefeu wrote:The problem (as I see it) with the mounts that involve the stem itself, either bolted to the faceplate or on the faceplate, is that while they may be beautiful piece of craftsmanship they are also subject to the angle of the stem & headtube. With a mount that utilizes the handlebar and is free to rotate, such as the RWD one, you can adjust the angle not only give a better viewing angle for you (and we're all different!), it may also be a little bit more aero heading into the win(d).

So if you've got your stem angled up, which some people do, then the Garmin's angle is affected as well, and it presents a larger surface area into the wind.

I see your point but the angle of the faceplate on most stems is 90deg to the horizontal... Therefor the garmin should be in an ideal viewing position if your bike position is setup appropriately...

I run tillquists mount on both my 3T -17 and -6 degree stems and both are in the identical (ideal) viewing positions...
Last edited by drmutley on Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trychle

by trychle

Ave, is that mount/stem plate (which stem is it?) commercially available?

Tillquist

by Tillquist

trychle wrote:Ave, is that mount/stem plate (which stem is it?) commercially available?

Look at Barfly Mount Web-site
See all my bike h e r e

trychle

by trychle

Ah thanks, found it!

I still prefer your mount. ;)

Tillquist

by Tillquist

trychle wrote:Ah thanks, found it!

I still prefer your mount. ;)

Thanks 8)
See all my bike h e r e