pc7 like mount for Garmin 500?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lalahsghost

by lalahsghost

Quick shots of the Race Ware Direct 500 mount's weight:

( tiny bolt! :D )

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rippin

by Rippin

Nice weight for the Race Ware Direct mount. The Barfly is heavier by about 7-8 grams.

How is the surface finish on the Race Ware mount? It looks rough from the pictures.
Also how durable and flexible are these? I don't know much about 3D printed items.
____o
_`\<,_
(*)/ (*)

lalahsghost

by lalahsghost

Rippin wrote:Nice weight for the Race Ware Direct mount. The Barfly is heavier by about 7-8 grams.

How is the surface finish on the Race Ware mount? It looks rough from the pictures.
Also how durable and flexible are these? I don't know much about 3D printed items.

The finish is great, but there is as you can see on my past images that the round "belt" part of it has ridges that you can feel and see, but aren't stack/graded like steps or anything like that. You can see and tell its there, but there is no real physical "lapping", I guess you could say.

The flexibility is similar to ABS plastic. You know the cheapy reflectors that strap on seatposts and handlebars? It's much stronger than that. With force it will flex, but not enough to think it is made out of boiled spaghetti, but still enough to have some give for safety and installation.

@anyone else: Any other questions about it?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Just received a couple BarFly's for the garmins. Mounts nicely. Good placement of the computer. Only complaint (and it's not major) is the actual fit of the computer in the round mount itself. It's just not as nice a fit as the garmin mounts that the unit comes with. On the original mounts, the computer fits in nicely, you turn it, and there's a nice solid locking feel when properly in place. With the Barfly, it's tight to get in, you turn it and the position where it should be "locking" is rather mushy. Not a deal breaker by any means, but I think a slight revision on future batches would be a good idea. Shouldn't be that hard to make the round part where the computer goes fit as well as the original Garmin mount.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Rippin

by Rippin

Totally agree with you there on the interface mount, Calnago.
____o
_`\<,_
(*)/ (*)

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

Definitely would like a more positive click and less downward pressure required to turn it into place. I have to hold the mount and turn with the other hand to keep it from pushing down.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

Murphs

by Murphs

lalahsghost wrote:

Have you tried riding over some very rough road? Is it still readable?

In saying that, I don't know how readable a stem-mounted Garmin would be on very rough road.

lalahsghost

by lalahsghost

Murphs wrote:
lalahsghost wrote:

Have you tried riding over some very rough road? Is it still readable?
In saying that, I don't know how readable a stem-mounted Garmin would be on very rough road.

Just got it today. Riding tomorrow, and I'll let you know. My concern is light/reflection angles, since when it is on the stem, it is easier to bob your head around to get the light to reflect the right way! :shrug:

And believe me, we ride some pretty rough abandoned roads. Most of the college kids around here call our road rides "rough", our rough road rides "cross rides" and our cross rides "xc rides" etc etc :P

Ex: Hillbilly Roubaix

JTKK

by JTKK

Anyone have pics of the Race Ware Direct Edge 500 mount on a -17° stem?
Mount looks pretty good and is what I have been looking for but would like to see how it looks on a -17° stem.

scotty

by scotty

Barfly have hooked up with Excel sports..
I wonder if they have made a sizeable batch??

http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?pag ... ailspecial

lalahsghost

by lalahsghost

JTKK wrote:Anyone have pics of the Race Ware Direct Edge 500 mount on a -17° stem?
Mount looks pretty good and is what I have been looking for but would like to see how it looks on a -17° stem.

100mm -17° stem.
You can see I angled it up just a bit.

JTKK

by JTKK

lalahsghost wrote:
JTKK wrote:Anyone have pics of the Race Ware Direct Edge 500 mount on a -17° stem?

100mm -17° stem.

You can see I angled it up just a bit.

Thanks for the pics :thumbup:
I thought that when angled up it would rise higher but that looks really good.
I have to get one of those mounts ASAP.

literider

by literider

I'm thinking of getting one made like this for the 800.
Attachments
Untitled 5.jpg

Rippin

by Rippin

Interesting literider, but why have clamps on both sides? other than for symmetry? I think the single clamp is sufficiently sturdy.
____o
_`\<,_
(*)/ (*)

RaceWareDirect
in the industry

by RaceWareDirect

literider wrote:I'm thinking of getting one made like this for the 800.

We would be more than happy to produce a Garmin mount to this design if required, it would be more costly due to the extra size but more than happy to make them.

We have now produced a new stiffer version of the 800 mount with a set of stiffening ribs running along the underside. This design had originally been worked on with the intention of using it for MTB riders but the weight is still very low at around 17grams so would work just as well for road use. All our mounts are also now offered as Right or Left hand versions as several customers had Di2 remote mounts so had no space on the right hand side.

We are also now doing 2 new TT mounts, one angled version and one for aero bars with an Oval Profile.

Martyn
Attachments
800 Mount with Ribs.jpg
2011 Track Masters World Champion
Cervelo T3
Colnago CX-1
S works shiv
Specialized Tarmac SL5 Di2
Specialized epic comp

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓