pc7 like mount for Garmin 500?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

scico

by scico

timzcat wrote:So as I previously complained about my RWD mount was loose at the interface with the Garmin. Martyn contacted me about it.
I had one of the original mounts from when he first started making them. I now have the new mount and it is excellent.
The mount itself is stiffer and doesn't vibrate on the road, mind you the old one only did it a little bit and it was not a big deal.
The Garmin interface is great now, so much tighter I love it.

In addition he has eliminated the nut portion and now has the nut integrated into the mount itself.

All in all I still think it is the best mount for weight and position of garmin.

I agree with you!!

tohd1978

by tohd1978

I have the same issue and was planning to switch to K-Edge. But K-Edge is kinda heavy compared to the RWD mount.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RaceWareDirect
in the industry

by RaceWareDirect

Our latest 800 mount will be fully launched at the end of the month but as this test video shows the interface is certainly not loose now and still very light at 16grams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBl_7Jo1tcg&feature=youtu.be
2011 Track Masters World Champion
Cervelo T3
Colnago CX-1
S works shiv
Specialized Tarmac SL5 Di2
Specialized epic comp

tohd1978

by tohd1978

scico wrote:
timzcat wrote:So as I previously complained about my RWD mount was loose at the interface with the Garmin. Martyn contacted me about it.
I had one of the original mounts from when he first started making them. I now have the new mount and it is excellent.
The mount itself is stiffer and doesn't vibrate on the road, mind you the old one only did it a little bit and it was not a big deal.
The Garmin interface is great now, so much tighter I love it.

In addition he has eliminated the nut portion and now has the nut integrated into the mount itself.

All in all I still think it is the best mount for weight and position of garmin.

I agree with you!!

+1

Good to hear that the new mount is better as Martyn has just made me an offer to get mine replaced. A happy buyer I am.

timzcat

by timzcat

Go for it. The mount is really solid now and for very little weight penalty over the old mount.

drmutley

by drmutley

RaceWareDirect wrote:Our latest 800 mount will be fully launched at the end of the month but as this test video shows the interface is certainly not loose now and still very light at 16grams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBl_7Jo1tcg&feature=youtu.be

I run 2 of these mounts... Rock solid... Fantastic mounts...
Last edited by drmutley on Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DesignCycles

by DesignCycles

pyf wrote:DesignCycles,

Thanks for chiming in.

The fact that there is only one bolt makes me wonder --> Is the mount flexible enough to be installed without removing shifters, tape, etc. and be installed and removed as many times as we wish ?

For triathletes the 310XT / 910XT orientation in a 22.2mm diameter will be must, when it's available I'll definitely order some of your mounts for both my road bike (with Garmin 500) and TT bike (with 910XT).

Testing is complete on a mount that is compatible with the Edge 800/500/200 and Forerunner 310XT/910XT. These will be available very soon on our website for $35 with free shipping.
www.designcycles.net

Horacio

by Horacio

Are there any mounts available for the FSA Plasma bar? I'm not crazy about the FSA supplied mount.

Thanks

aerozy

by aerozy

Nothing personal against racewaredirect but have to report another failure this time with more serious consequences. I hit a pothole around 45km/h and the mount snapped, my Edge 800 flew off into swampy ditch. Spent an hour looking for it! Nada! Couldnt find it. Was a really really frustrating experience which I dont plan to repeat any time soon.

This was a first generation mount so I guess the new ones should be stronger but this episode (second time for me) was the nail in the coffin. Im going to wait out for the official garmin mounts... just saying. Might consider getting a k-edge.
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

ms6073

by ms6073

Horacio wrote:Are there any mounts available for the FSA Plasma bar? I'm not crazy about the FSA supplied mount.
Myself and a couple others have asked this same question and the guy from RWD has made a couple prototypes but as integrated bars are more of a niche market, there has not been much progress in the past month.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

RaceWareDirect
in the industry

by RaceWareDirect

ms6073 wrote:
Horacio wrote:Are there any mounts available for the FSA Plasma bar? I'm not crazy about the FSA supplied mount.
Myself and a couple others have asked this same question and the guy from RWD has made a couple prototypes but as integrated bars are more of a niche market, there has not been much progress in the past month.

Hi Michael,

sorry for the lack of updates, I have had a few weeks off as I have recently had a new baby boy. Things have however moved on and a new version is currently on build and all being well this will be stiff enough. I have made 3 versions so far and all have had issues with either fit or strength. As you can see from previous comments the early bar mounts where not strong enough and this is not a mistake I will be making again. I am sorry for the slow progress but rest assured that once ready it will be a fully tested and probably slightly over engineered product.

Martyn
Cervelo T3
Colnago CX-1
S works shiv
Specialized epic comp

RaceWareDirect
in the industry

by RaceWareDirect

aerozy wrote:Nothing personal against racewaredirect but have to report another failure this time with more serious consequences. I hit a pothole around 45km/h and the mount snapped, my Edge 800 flew off into swampy ditch. Spent an hour looking for it! Nada! Couldnt find it. Was a really really frustrating experience which I dont plan to repeat any time soon.

This was a first generation mount so I guess the new ones should be stronger but this episode (second time for me) was the nail in the coffin. Im going to wait out for the official garmin mounts... just saying. Might consider getting a k-edge.

It is sad that I have to hear of another failure and even more so via a forum site. I have tried to contact all owners of the mk1 mounts so they can be replaced, I am sorry if I did not contact you. I dont recognise you from your forum name but if you would like to contact me then I would love to help you out if i can with regards to your lost 800 head unit. If any other members have RWD road mounts purchases before June 2012 then please contact me as you may well be eligible for a free upgrade to our current version. If you want to see how they perform there is a link to a youtube clip earlier in the thread which hopefully helps to give you confidence.

Martyn
Cervelo T3
Colnago CX-1
S works shiv
Specialized epic comp

skinnywater
Shop Owner

by skinnywater

Do you have this mount so it can be attached 90 degrees to an aero bar on a TT bike?
Richard Traugott
Sales Manager
Ryder Bikes - Bradenton
1905 Cortez Rd W
Bradenton, Fl 34207
941-756-5480

http://ryderbikes.com/
http://www.seasucker.com/

RaceWareDirect
in the industry

by RaceWareDirect

skinnywater wrote:Do you have this mount so it can be attached 90 degrees to an aero bar on a TT bike?

Yes indeed, they are available in a variety of sizes and colours and can be ordered from the website, i have them all in stock just now. 22.2mm, 24mm and oval shape for the Pro Evo missile TT bars.

Martyn
Cervelo T3
Colnago CX-1
S works shiv
Specialized epic comp

Horacio

by Horacio

I rode a double century a few weeks ago and I noticed a rider that had the FSA Plasma bar. He had his Garmin mounted out up front, so I asked he what mount he had. He told me it was a Bar Fly. He said there was just enough "give" to wrap it around the bar. I'm not sure he knew what he had because last I checked, that Bar Fly wasnt going around anything that wasnt round.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com