The Sequel: Colnago AMORE-PS

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DucatiRacer

by DucatiRacer

It's been a while...nearly two years ago I posted Evolution of The Dream with great enthusiasm.

The Lightweight Clinchers are gone, but I still train on that beauty weekly. Couldn't have imagined a more perfect machine...until...I found AMORE.

There is just no sane way to reason owning two Italian masterpieces. Then again, I'm not sure there is much "sane" about cyclists. We are a rare breed indeed. My "normal" friends listen to colorful tales of climbing dizzying passes and seeking out unexplored roads...all they hear is pain, suffering and insanity. And perhaps they're right. No matter...AMORE struck me as a vision of beauty and potential. I decided that instead of buying a sensible trainer, I'd just ride the Cristallo weekly and equip AMORE with mountain-crushing gear. Took about 6 months to get this one built, then took her (and the girlfriend) over to Italy for a spin.

Managed to summit Cima Fausto Coppi, Passo Sella, Gardena, Campolongo, Pordoi among others in the Alps...did a few rides through the Sibilini mountains as well including Sassotetto. Spent more time on 10% plus grades than I did sleeping...awesome trip. Here is the machine that got me there--beat her down pretty good, especially on the descents (Flanders has nothing on the ice-cracked, desolate Sibilini dirt-rock backcountry!), but that's why we build'em right? This bike was created specifically to conquer the Dolomites and she was an absolute dream to ride...I felt like Chris Horner climbing with perma-grin.

The vision was to build a machine that perfectly balanced beauty, weight, strength, performance and reliability. Here's how she specs out:

Frame Set: Colnago EPS AMOR (54cm Standard)
Wheels: Campagnolo Bora Ultra Two Gold
Tires: Continental Sprinter Gatorskin Tubulars
Pedals: Look Keo Blade 12nm
Handlebars and Stem: FSA Plasma Full Carbon (Custom Painted)
Headset and Spacers: Colnago EPS
Brake/Shift Lever Set: Campagnolo Super Record 11
Brake Calipers: Ciamillo Zero Gravity Olympic Edition (SwissStop Yellow King Pads)
Crank Set: Campagnolo Super Record 11 (50/34, 172.5)
Front Derailleur: Campagnolo Super Record 11
Rear Derailleur: Campagnolo Super Record 11
Sprocket Cassette: Campagnolo Super Record 11 (12-27)
Chain: Campagnolo R-11
Brake/Shift Cable Set: Campagnolo Super Record 11 and Alligator iLink
Seat: Selle Italia SLR Flow Carbon
Seat Post: Token MonoQ Carbon (Custom Painted)
Water Bottle Holders: Campagnolo Record Carbon

Weighs in at 6780 grams or 14.95 pounds.
Attachments
Just arrived at our home in Le Marche--along the Sibilini range.  Could not believe the bike made it in one piece...largely thanks to the Sci-Con hard case I suppose.  The wine is ready to go in the background!
Just arrived at our home in Le Marche--along the Sibilini range. Could not believe the bike made it in one piece...largely thanks to the Sci-Con hard case I suppose. The wine is ready to go in the background!
Custom-painted FSA bars and seatpost.  Sly did a great job matching the flawless factory scheme.
Custom-painted FSA bars and seatpost. Sly did a great job matching the flawless factory scheme.
Handlebars were nicely detailed with factory-spec logos and kept the EPS butterfly lines moving from front to back.
Handlebars were nicely detailed with factory-spec logos and kept the EPS butterfly lines moving from front to back.
Was tough to come up with the right tape--decide to double-wrap cork and foil and capped with 5 gram carbon ends...worked out well.
Was tough to come up with the right tape--decide to double-wrap cork and foil and capped with 5 gram carbon ends...worked out well.
Shots with Shamal Ultra spare hoops in front of our accomodations...note the pasta sauce cooking in the background!
Shots with Shamal Ultra spare hoops in front of our accomodations...note the pasta sauce cooking in the background!
Top shot
Top shot
View of the land...can you tell what kind of tree that is in the upper-left?  I'll give you a hint...it's non-native:)
View of the land...can you tell what kind of tree that is in the upper-left? I'll give you a hint...it's non-native:)
New girl with her older sister...
New girl with her older sister...
Here's a shot of the ol'girl, for you enthusiasts.  She's pristine and we still ride her (albeit with new pedals, saddle and tires!)
Here's a shot of the ol'girl, for you enthusiasts. She's pristine and we still ride her (albeit with new pedals, saddle and tires!)
At the summit of Passo Pordoi--(at the Giro D'Italia monument) came down off this descent with a group of German motorcyclists--caught their lines, and next thing I knew we were passing buses at 90kph...AWESOME!!!
At the summit of Passo Pordoi--(at the Giro D'Italia monument) came down off this descent with a group of German motorcyclists--caught their lines, and next thing I knew we were passing buses at 90kph...AWESOME!!!
Last edited by DucatiRacer on Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:09 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Training Days: Colnago Cristallo
Mountain Days: Colnago AMOREps
Off Days: Ducati 600SS and Bimota DB1
Track Days: Honda CBR1000RR
Yesterday: Colnago Regal

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DucatiRacer

by DucatiRacer

Two more shots...
Attachments
At the summit of Passo Gardena with my girl.  She kicked some serious arse.  Had never climbed like this and managed to summit the Quattro Passi...nice.
At the summit of Passo Gardena with my girl. She kicked some serious arse. Had never climbed like this and managed to summit the Quattro Passi...nice.
Needed a little religion after all the riding we put in...
Needed a little religion after all the riding we put in...

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

:welcome: back!

:thumbup: What else to say about the bikes and the trip?
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Great thread and story. How did you find the Boras on those crazy descents?

And more details about your time there please... If you feel like it of course.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

cesemo

by cesemo

feels like you're riding in heaven with those gold things..

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I love that custom paint job on the seatpost and Plasma!! (I hate the computer mount though)

Yes, please tell us more about the actual holiday and the riding, it sounds amazing! How long are some of those climbs? What was the longest day?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DucatiRacer

by DucatiRacer

Sella Ronda Bike Day

The event closes the Quattro Passi to all motorized traffic, for the exclusive use of cyclists. AWESOME!
Attachments
Coming back down to the house from Gamsblut Hutte. About 1.5 hours each way in snowshoes.
Coming back down to the house from Gamsblut Hutte. About 1.5 hours each way in snowshoes.
Map of the Sella Ronda Bike Day around the Quattro Passi.
Map of the Sella Ronda Bike Day around the Quattro Passi.