HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lightest Frame
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:03 am 

Oh and andy2 - I didn't heaps love the painted frame at Eurobike but other than that I think they've all looked amazing! It's been great to have a little more of an 'inside look' at them on WW compared with what's been out in the e-press so far.

Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:03 am 

Post subject: Lightest Frame
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:53 am 
in the industry

Thanks joo I will cook something up for the WW community in a separate thread.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:46 pm 

The Rolo frame looks spectacular. I also like the Alpha, BTW. Berk: on the saddle, it seems there would be an issue with lack of flex: center of the saddle goes straight down the seat post. Is this a problem?

I am a big fan of "tuned stiffness" and think the phenotype of the super-fat-tubed-carbon frame, while it may well win in Tour magazine, seems the wrong way to go for anything other than crazy fast accelerations which are over-rated. (in particular all my races in the past few years have been hill climbs, where these are avoided, or 200 mile double-centuries, where they are also avoided at my level).

My view: since I try to keep weight savings capped at $4.00/gram or so, the frame is not an economical place to do it compared to my 865 gram Fuji SL/1. It would likely cost me $20/gram to save much there. I could get some Schmolke bars which would cut maybe 80 grams far more cheaply, but still over my budget.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:55 pm 
in the industry

djconnel: I´ve made many saddle/post combos, I can tell you that´s a non existent problem, when you see the rails and clamping system, you feel a effect here but in fact very small difference, bigger difference can be taken from the seat tube flexing, wider tires and the frame itself and so on.

A flexible saddle shell is good but not always as you get inconsistent flex on the middle, nose and the very back.

That´s my opinion.

Yes I use full carbon saddles, mostly built from my molds, like Berk does.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:19 pm 

500 grms :unbelievable: Vekta told Moda they could build a frame which weighed as little as 500g.
http://roadcyclinguk.com/news/gear-news ... -8817.html

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:07 am 
in the industry

artray: I´ve seen many manufacturers claim they CAN do or have did a xxx frame weight, but when coming to the real deal they have shortcuts like size 42 frame or other excuses.

Until now I have only seen a few frames which was around 600 gr mark and it was A2J Rolo superlight, Ruegamer Zen Überlight and Gunter Mais Spin Gato.

The A2J Rolo is a size 56, the others was smaller.

Last edited by Mattias Hellöre on Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:43 pm 

My favorite is Pinarello's "raw" frame weight, which means right out of the oven.

But yeah, the typical "conversation" is:

"We can make a 700 gram frame! (competitor's is 850!)"
"Hey, this frame is 850 grams"
"You didn't want a 700 gram frame, anyway (can still build this one out to sub-6 kg!)"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:01 pm 

Mattias Hellöre wrote:
artray: I´ve seen many manufacturers claim they CAN do or have did a xxx frame weight, but when coming to the real deal they have shortcuts like size 42 frame or other excuses.

Until now I have only seen a frame which was around 600 gr mark and it was a Ruegamer Zen Überlight.
Then a Spin Gato too.

I agree .It was an article I saw and just thought it would be of interest to post . I was thinking the same or maybe a bike built only for climbing. 500 grms is quite a claim and most companys have failed to deliver there claimed weights . Gunter mai's spin was very light ,643grms and Donalds Rue as well. Wonder what Gunter is up to .

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:38 pm 
in the industry

I´ve edited my post and it was unclear what I meant, the A2J Rolo is the real deal, verified 640 gram at size 56, the others was smaller and not as stiff as the Rolo.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:56 pm 

Mattias Hellöre , I seen the A2J Rolo web sight. Bikes are amazing . I love the look of the frame. I ride a 54cm . What weights are expected for a 54cm when one gets built ?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:40 pm 
in the industry

artray: I have no clue how much it will weigh but as their homepage said, they can tune the ride characteristic to your specs so I assume you can talk down the weight a bit, they can do a good balance between weight and relevant stiffness in certain areas for you.

There´s a lot of in production pics on their Facebook page, they do build the frame from prepreg weave cutted in custom templates for each frame specification so therefore can the characteristics be tuned to any taste from sir Chris Hoy to Paolo Bettini.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:53 pm 

:beerchug: Mattias

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:38 pm 

My 54 cm. Ruegamer is exactly 600 grams with front and rear derailleur hangers, built over 5 and a half years ago. It is a very stiff frame, I never notice any flex. I'm sure there will be something lighter that also has a great ride quality. Who knows what the future holds.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:07 pm 

My hands once held a 550 gram frameset! This one was ridden and raced for about a year and belonged to Brent (now Bre) Ruegamer. It was rather small compared to typical medium frames though.

Then a few years after that during a trip to Australia, WW-member 'whodesigns' showed his 460 gram frameset. He did add that it was still in need of wrapping of the joints. I never found out if he finished the frame or what it finally weighed.

Nick Crumpton mentioned that he's able to build a really light frame, except he refuses to, since he doesn't want to be held accountable in case something goes wrong with it.

Still, so far nothing has impressed me as much as Rolo. Their Zedler stiffness testing and aero numbers simply look incredible. At first I found the front end too bulky but when I saw these bikes at Eurobike, I found them much better looking in the flesh. Photos simply don't do them justice.

There always seems to be a quest for lighter, and nobody is immune. Then again, bikes are made to be ridden. I'd personally much rather have a slightly heavier frame that rides exceptionally well than an ultralight finicky one that feels it might crack upon riding over a pebble the wrong way.

Donald, how many miles have you put on your frame so far?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:31 am 

@mythical - Maybe to say that you can't get the really light Crumpton frames is not quite correct, there seem to be a few lighter ones around.

:lol: wasn't gumgardener's frame the devil weight - 666grams:

p.s. how far did things get with your Stainless Steel project? Maybe not gunning for the lightest frame outright but certainly worth a mention here IMO...

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:31 am 

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next