Lightest Frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Illuminate

by Illuminate

Agreed Ssb. One of the major draw cards of ww over other bike forums are the stunning high end bikes. Love the international feel of the forum and the stunning scenic pics posted up too! We have ourselves a unique and, i feel, quite special community.

Cheers,
I

JWolf

by JWolf

The CA is a science experiment by according to the people I've spoken to in the company. The material used in building the frame was very expensive - according to them. They wanted to build the lightest frame - and they wanted it to be there strongest frame. The design and geometry is very unique and after riding it and thinking about it - its very smart. Everything they did now makes sense to me - even though on paper it didn't at first.

And the tolerances are 5 times less than that of a regular Cervelo R5 VWD. That is why they are able to press fit a bearing directly into the carbon fiber bottom bracket. No metal down there at all.

Although a pain I the ass to own now due to the lack of compatible cranks, a direct fit BBright Bottom Bracket - if affordable - would seem to be the strongest / lightest / cheapest bottom bracket around. It's just 2 bearings, that's it. The problem is that it is so limited in production right now, no one makes the correct sized spacers except for a handful of small brands. The two majors do not. And frankly, unless campy removes the bearings from their cranks, they will never fit.

That said, if the industry goes that way, instead of BB30, or press fit BBright, we will all save a bunch of parts and weight at the bottom of our frames, and we will all have stronger frames. No more BB Cups moving or making noise. No more adapters. Just in large spacer or the right side and one small one on the left.

That advancement in design alone is worth a lot to the industry I think. It was very well thought out. And, it looks really good as well - very clean and simple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andy2
in the industry

by andy2

Hi Gents,

A first for you WW's:
In a about a week at the German Carbon Group Stand at EB we will show a 640g frame, complete with der hanger etc.
That is 87g lighter than the Cervelo Ca.
The framset (frame/fork/headset) weight is 931g. *
The frame has a BB stiffness higher than the SWorks Venge McLaren and is just as aero but with main focus being placed on lack of sensitivity to crosswinds.
It also has comfort value that is better than the Cervelo Ca, it's pf30 and is prepared for fully internal electrical or mechanical cabling.
Another salient characteristic of our frame(s) is that we take care that headtube stiffness is more closely matched to BB stiffness than the competition for a more coherent feeling/handling frame.**

I can't show you pics just yet, here's one from the build though.

*(1085g Cervelo Ca, 1118g Ax-Lightness, 1145 Storck Fascenario0.6, 1148 Cannondale Evo)
** Our bb/ht stiffness ratio is 70% whereas most light frames have a bb that is 50-57% of the headtube stiffness.
rolobikes

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

:shock:

One day... one day.... one day I will be able to afford an A2J frameset.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

hoggy

by hoggy

I don't know about real world confirmed weights but I really like this bike and the reported weight is excellent.

http://sartocycles.com/it_IT/cima_coppi.html

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Mate on mine wants a boutique frame, light, and I'm struggling to think of much aside from a Stork. Not that there's anything wrong with them.

Any other suggestions for something along those lines?

(needless to say Evo, Wilier, BH, etc are too run of the mill for him)

andy2
in the industry

by andy2

ImageImage
640g in 56, pretty boutique and in production now.
Sorry I couldn't resist...
rolobikes

cloudnine

by cloudnine

I had to pick up my jaw off the floor when I saw andy2's picture, It looks amazing!

On a side note, is that a Berk saddle combo? I've really been wanting to get one, but my wallet doesn't agree with me for the meantime. :noidea:

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

andy2 wrote:Image
Not bad. But those Obermayer Special Editions are rather pedestrian, and hardly befitting the exalted stature of the frame. A little more attention to the total package, please.

andy2
in the industry

by andy2

Sorry Hammer, will be sure to post a pic with the top secret Übermaier wheels next time.
Coud9, yes Berk did the combo for us. Top job Jure!
rolobikes

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Übermaier, or would that be Übermayer, now that would be a good name for a new top end wheel for CS. But then could the Übermaier ever be topped by an even better model?

By the way, what ever happened to the Challenge 600?

JAB

by JAB

ax-lightness
vial 745 grams (medium)
alpha 660 grams

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

@andy2
Beautiful photos!!

andy2 wrote:/....
Coud9, yes Berk did the combo for us. Top job Jure!

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

JAB wrote:ax-lightness

No interest in trying to deal with them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jooo

by jooo

Tinea Pedis wrote:Mate on mine wants a boutique frame, light, and I'm struggling to think of much aside from a Stork. Not that there's anything wrong with them.

Any other suggestions for something along those lines?

(needless to say Evo, Wilier, BH, etc are too run of the mill for him)

Why not a Crumpton?