HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:41 pm 

I recently bought a set of these wheels and started using them early November. I clean my bike after most rides, weigh 78kg and use standard Shimano pads.

Yesterday whilst cleaning the bike I noticed that the front rim wear marks had disappeared :shock: :shock:

I know it is winter and the roads aren't clean but am amazed that a rim could wear out inside 3 months. I don't ride every day and have put perhaps 1500 miles on them. The rear marks are easily visible - I'd say the rim is half worn.

Is this unusual with these rims?(normally a pair of wheels last me at least 18 months where I live)

Cheers!

Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:41 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:32 am 

Svetty, I have no experience with those AmClassic wheels, but both my wife and I have wheels from the brand that use the 30mm alu clincher rims. They have held up for years. Please dont take this the wrong way, but what exactly are you doing to run through a rim's brake track in 18 months on average?

Rider weight does not seem to be a huge factor and the Shimano pads are perfectly fine when well maintained. Winter riding and grit can be rough on rims when you are grabbing big handfuls of brake on a regular basis. Is there a large burr in your front brake pads perhaps? Are you descending in grit and grime and riding the brake?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:43 am 

In late spring/summer/early autumn my rims hardly wear at all over 1000s of miles but in late autumn/winter they always wear fast. I do long rides of 80-100 miles. I can only imagine that being dirty/grit-exposed for rides of this duration allows time for abrasion to accumulate where shorter rides with cleaning in-between wouldn't. I ride in a rural area where farm vehicles cover the roads in mud when the fields are not dry or frozen solid.