Tune cassettebody campa->shimano

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Oswald

by Oswald

I know you have two options when buying a new Tune rear hub... With Campa or Shimano body...

But are they interchangeable? Or is the Shimano completely different from the Campa?

I know someone who has a wheelset for sale, but it is for Campa, and I don't want to use a third party cassette... Prefer Dura Ace Cassette...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JTC

by JTC

Campy 10 and DA 10 are not compatible. Both have different hub boddies as well.

Oswald

by Oswald

I meant: Can I remove the Campa body from a Tune rear hub and install a Shimano body?

But thanks anyway for your answer.

martin

by martin

Oswald wrote:I meant: Can I remove the Campa body from a Tune rear hub and install a Shimano body?

But thanks anyway for your answer.

That is possible. If you send the hub to tune, the'll do it. I don't know if you can do it yourself.
you should maybe inquire at info@tune.de (or whichever e-Mail address they have on their website) about the price.

Martin

Oswald

by Oswald

Thank you...

I thought it was possible, but wasn't sure... It wouldn't make sense to make a completely different hub for campa and shimano, since that would up the cost of production...

I hadn't thought about using any special tools yet, so you may be right about sending them to Tune...

The Corima website has info in their faq about how to do this with their hubs...

I can get the Corimas at a nice price too... Aaarrghhhnnn... hope to win the lottery this week... just buy a set of each brand...

collinsc

by collinsc

I, too have a Tune hub on which I wish to switch the freehub body. From Shimano to Campagnolo, actually.

I was searching for the replacement bodies for a long time, and stopped just short of contacting Tune. Unfortunately, I have heard mention that it is not quite as simple as swapping the body out. I am not a wheel builder, but the impression that I got was that the spacing or alignment is off by just enough that the wheel would have to be at least re-dished, possibly rebuilt.

I am using an American Classic conversion cassette at the moment, while it isnt super light, it isnt a boat anchor, and I find it shifts quite well.

martin

by martin

collinsc wrote:I, too have a Tune hub on which I wish to switch the freehub body. From Shimano to Campagnolo, actually.

I am using an American Classic conversion cassette at the moment, while it isnt super light, it isnt a boat anchor, and I find it shifts quite well.

There is another conversion cogset available, made by "Wheels Manufacturing". "AEBikes" had the best price on them.
This one is very light (my 12-27 is just below 200g) because Dura Ace cogs are used, and can be made even lighter by replacing the two middle cogs, which are steel, by original Dura Ace Ti ones.
I use them on my Lightweights and am very happy with the way they shift.

Martin

Francois_Viviers

by Francois_Viviers

I would mail Tune just to make double sure, I am trying to convert a pair of FRM sl hub 2002 model and spoke to them and they said they are completely differnt and conversion is not possible. As for my Ksyriums it was a matter of buying a new freehub body and just installing it all you need is a 6mm & 4mm allen key(?)

Francois_Viviers

by Francois_Viviers

Just forgot to mention, I upgraded my record 9s peed levers to 10 speed this weekend(quite a job but easy non the less) and on the shimano freehub body I put on a Marchisio aviotek cassette, with campag 10 speed conversion spacers, this did not work as I ran out of space on the body, but di manage to get 9 gears on. So locked out the range on the derrailler and now I have campag 10 speed speed spacing for 9 gears on 9 speed shimano, and this shifts better than any 9 speed conversion cassette i have ever bought.

For lightness I suspect that this can be done with the Miche supertype cassette as the work on the same principle of same gear sizes with different spacers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com