Stan's sealant with Vittoria valves

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Master-Ti

by Master-Ti

I got a flat tire the other day when a staple punctured my Vittora Corsa CX tubular. After changing tires and returning home, it occurred to me that Stan's would be a easy way to repair this tire, as the hole would essentially be the size of a pin-hole. However with the new Vittoria Corsa CX tubulars, the red valves unscrew close to the basetape, and does not have a removable core. I ended up unscrewing the red valve, and painfully dripped Stan's into the valve nub, making quite the mess, although it still worked with the tire off.

What would one do on the road when the valve core is not removable, and removing the entire red valve with the tubular still attached to the rim would leave the valve nub buried inside the rim?

I did a quick search and could not find any similar enquiries, and would appreciate any insight. And please, do not make this into a tubular vs clincher arguement. I'm an old dinosaur and still ride tubulars everyday like the old days!

Thanks in advance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

quattrings

by quattrings

seriously, how can a tub as high end as the evo cv not have a removable core.

Was doubting about which tubs to get. gonna go continental now for sure. Thx :thumbup:

NoAlibi

by NoAlibi

If you are talking about the Vittoriata Corasa EVO CXs, just unscrew the red valve stem and use the Stans injector. I don't use the hose at at all.

mr_tim

by mr_tim

Its a hard one to pull off. I never managed to get sealent into the vitt cx valves. Best possible answer I had was to use pit stop which forces itself in under pressure.

Happy to never use CX tires again they cut & pick up slits way too easily, in at least 10nr tires I never managed to use the thread before it got cut too much to be able to use it.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

laager wrote:
Master-Ti wrote:What would one do on the road when the valve core is not removable, and removing the entire red valve with the tubular still attached to the rim would leave the valve nub buried inside the rim?

You could get a piece of small diameter flexible hose and a screw on presta adaptor such as the tube supplied with the CaffeLatex injector:

Just stick the nozzle of the bottle of Stan's into the bare tube at the other end. If the tube is short enough you wouldn't waste much Stan's.

It seems to me that Vittoria goes to some great lenghts to make their tubulars unrepairable. Virtually impossible to repair the "old" way (needle and thread) and only easy to repair with their own stuff. Which does not work too well if at all...

Thank god there are better tubs around....(But no Conti Comps for me, thanks but no thanks) :mrgreen:

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

jwilliams

by jwilliams

I also had this happen on the road. I had to rip off the vittoria after there pit stop failed to fix the hole. I took off the valve and squirted tufo tire sealant in and added 50 psi and found the hole and heald it with my thumb and it sealed up.

got home and the tire being a worthless vittoria had deflated all night and glued it self together. NEVER will I use a vittoria again as a main tire. I now use the old one as a spare and went back to conti.
Wilier Zero.7 SR11 being built
2011 C59 Di2 AX SRT 24's, THM Calvica, Fibula
2010 RXR VIP @ Red RXR Sold
MY RXR VIP-> viewtopic.php?f=10&t=77056" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rongob

by rongob

What you need is a continental valve extender,with the tub still on the wheel you take off the red valve and insert the extender in upside down,then using the small bottle of stans that you can buy in any cycle shop cut the top to fit over the other end of the extender and gently squeeze.Remove extender refit red valve and voila.Itworks for me. :)

roca rule

by roca rule

This is what I did
1St take off the valve
2nd unglue a the small section where the valve goes
3Rd now that there no valve just pour stans .
4Th this is where it gets tricky push the valve thru the rim hole once it is on the other side if the rim try setting the tubular back, against the valve and then just thread it in. when you get home just add a tad of glue to the valve area. Hopefully this was helpful as english is my second language.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Just got a new pair of vittoria corsa evo CX's, and the appropriate red 110mm extenders. Since vittoria pit stop seems to be worthless and stan's seems to be the top sealant, I'd like to be able to add it after a flat without taking off the tire. In this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51232&hilit=vittoria+sealant&start=60#p804946
the guy describes carrying around an extra red vittoria valve extender that he had ripped the valve core out of for the sole purpose of adding sealant. In the case of a flat, he'd unscrew the extender with a valve core, and screw on the empty one and add sealant through it, then put the proper extender back on and inflate. I like this idea (if vittoria had just made the damn valve cores on their $25 extenders removable this wouldn't be a problem), but I really don't want to drop $25 for another set of 110mm valve extenders just to destroy one for sealant purposes. Are there any other alternatives? I know maxxis makes some supposedly compatible extenders, which DO have removable cores, but they don't seem to have a 110mm version and almost nobody carries them.
As an aside, since stan's seems to dry up after awhile, leaving behind a latex ball inside of your tubulars, can one add enough stan's to seal up a hole, and then drain out the excess out of the tire before it dries out?

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

As an aside, since stan's seems to dry up after awhile, leaving behind a latex ball inside of your tubulars, can one add enough stan's to seal up a hole, and then drain out the excess out of the tire before it dries out?

That seem very doubtful. IMO the trick is to learn to know just how much sealant it takes to cure a certain type of puncture and use a sealant that's as effective as possible.
No idea about Stans but I often need little more than 15ml of Tufo Extreme to seal a hole.

I do have a couple of tubs in the cellar though that do need their inner tube replaced because of too much sealant. One will even take pushing an iron rod through the tub as the sealant has acted as a glue between the inner tube and the casing.

Bottom line is, use sealant, the right sealant, and use it sparingly and wisely. It's sometimes more trouble than it's worth....

Be ware of some companies taking measures to built in extra obsolescence in what is by its very nature an obsolent product anyhow.

Ciao, ;)

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Kulivontot,
you can use the maxxis extender in any length you want, coupled with a Tufo-style one in series.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Looks like Maxxis has a 100mm version... Anyone know where I can get them in the US? Wiggle's got em' but shipping almost doubles the cost.

Gearhead65

by Gearhead65

+1 on the Maxxis MVS extender. That's what I used on my Vittoria tubies. Makes it a no brainer.

Agree it is ridiculous to not have a removable valve core.
2015 Specialized Crux Pro
2013 BMC TMR01 custom build
2013 Cannondale F-Series 29'er, Carbon 3
2012 Cannondale CAAD10-1 custom build, 14.06 lbs
1980 Palo Alto custom build

pawnii

by pawnii

I've just purchased a set of Maxxis MVS valve extenders.
Do you guys use plumbers tape when you put it on?

I'll be retro fitting one onto my already mounted tub so i hope that'll be fine to do without using plumbers tape.
2012 Scott Foil Premium

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Not familiar with these extenders so take my words with a grain of salt.
For the past ten years I've never used plumbers tapes between the valve stem and its extender.
Tufo style alumininium extenders are what I use.
They're screwed on by hand then just tightened gently by small tweezers.
Even though this is mostly done on tubulars using latex inner tubes (porous) I can't say I ever witnessed any leaks at the junction between the stem and the extender.

From my past experience there really is no longer any need for plumbers tape as tolerances are much tighter nowadays.

One question about Stan's sealant though. Was this ever designed with high pressure use in mind? After all this is one of these MTB, hence low pressure products, right?

Ciao, ;)