Custom Wheel Decals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

How much for a set of gloss black outlines shipped to Australia for 1.45s..?

I have a set of factory decals my mate was going to produce a vector file of but I'm lazy... ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

Bill,

Really nice work.
I just had this custom decal made for my CAAD9 that's going
to go on the seat tube to cover up the factory warning label:
[The "?" is for the model number because it's way beyond a CAAD9-7 now.]

I'm going to cut the outline of The Riddler's character out with an Exacto knife.
If I cannot get the Edge stem I wanted with the Pinline graphics, I'll hit you up for
a set of the traditional Edge Pinline Logos to be placed over a stock Enve block logo.

Besides that, I will definitely keep you in mind for my 58mm carbon clinchers.
I'll be wanting something similar to Enve's Smart decals or Zipp's Beyond Black style decals.

Wish I knew of you when I had to have my wife (who's an artist) hand paint my fork...

Before:
After:

Before:
After:

Before:
After:

billspreston

by billspreston

I'm going to move forward with having these made. I've been in touch with some printers and I feel confident that I can recreate the decals with high accuracy. I will probably start with a couple different versions of Zipp 404 and Enve 45 decals as those seem to be the most popular depths. I have artwork for Zipp 202/303/404/808 and Enve 25/45/65/3.4/6.7 so I can make those too if things go well. I don't have final pricing yet, but it should be around $30-$40 for the Zipp decals and $40-$60 for the Enve decals. I assure you they will be high quality and look as OEM as possible unlike many of the janky decals you see sold online. I'm obsessive about the details and spent a lot of time getting the artwork right.

Help needed: Can somebody with Zipps take a close look at the decals and tell me if the silver color used in the box containing "Speed Weaponry" is metallic ink (shiny) or just regular grey ink? How about the new beyond black decals? I know those are reflective, but is the silver color used metallic ink?

I'll post some photos of the final artwork shortly. Please PM me if you're interested!

Also, just to be clear, I'm not manufacturing these myself I'm having a company make them for me. Because of that, one-off custom sets and colors are impossible. I have to order something like 200 decals as a minimum for each style so it's a bit of investment for me to have them made. I think there is a good enough market for the more popular colors to make it work.

rodebaron51

by rodebaron51

Hi,

Took a look at my 404FC decals;
The grey is something like semi metalic.... dont know how to describe... bit in the middle of mormal gray and metalic look....

A stupid question since I am looking at a nice decal set for my 404FC in the same style as my C59 MTBK...
At Zipp they cost $24,- (all black)... whats the advantage of yours for $30-40?
Please dont be offended... just asking ;-)
Pascal

2012 Colnago C59 MTBK Camapgnolo Hyperon Ultra 2 and Campi SR11
2014 Merida Big 99 CF team fully
2015 Pinarello F8 Sky Campagnolo Bora Utra 2 and Campi SR11 EPS (RIP after crash)
2016 Trek Mad-One Limited Team Edition

billspreston

by billspreston

Thanks for checking out the Zipp decals for me! I came to a similar conclusion last time I looked at them. Hopefully I can find a similar ink to use.

The decals you can get from Zipp are $24 per wheel (6 decals). I'm aiming for $15-20 per wheel or $30-40 for the full set of 12. Apologies for not being clear. They may be cheaper than that in the end but I don't want to promise a lower price and disappoint.

luckysix

by luckysix

Any chance we can get some gloss black Reynolds decals?

billspreston

by billspreston

luckysix wrote:Any chance we can get some gloss black Reynolds decals?

I may do some later depending on how the first run of Zipp/Enve decals goes.

billspreston

by billspreston

Here are the decal combinations I'm considering making. Let me know your opinions on which you like and don't like, I can only pick a few of these to start with.

dmohara

by dmohara

I had made some HED decals for a disc with carbon fiber weave decals.....I loved the look that it added to the wheels. HED design was easy for an amateur like me to make, but anything more intricate would definitely require some expertise.

rodebaron51

by rodebaron51

Hi,

On the Zipp decals;

Can you make a set for 404 matt black with white outlines (white outlines as wide as the Colnago C59 MTBK logo's).
The speed weaponry below in matt black with the text also in white....

Guess what would look cool ;-)

But I also like the stealthy gray all black (bottom) version!
Pascal

2012 Colnago C59 MTBK Camapgnolo Hyperon Ultra 2 and Campi SR11
2014 Merida Big 99 CF team fully
2015 Pinarello F8 Sky Campagnolo Bora Utra 2 and Campi SR11 EPS (RIP after crash)
2016 Trek Mad-One Limited Team Edition

audibmi

by audibmi

enve decals are clear vinyl with printed graphics. stock is silver metallic outline pinstripe with solid white fill. if custom ones were to be made, i would definetely prefer just the outline with no fill to be more unique to 'stock' decals. silver would be my choice of color.

lockwood1

by lockwood1

How about Mavic Cosmic SLR decals?

HunterGrant

by HunterGrant

Hello all,

Feel free to contact me as well for custom decal needs. I didnt read over every reply in the thread, but it seems that there may be room for a couple of vinyl sources here. I can print and cut and will do conceptual work as well.

cheers
HP
disguisingindria@yahoo.com

ergott

by ergott

I think the solid lettered ENVE logo looks better without the things on the sides.

billspreston

by billspreston

dmohara wrote:I had made some HED decals for a disc with carbon fiber weave decals.....

Nice!

rodebaron51 wrote:Hi,

On the Zipp decals;

Can you make a set for 404 matt black with white outlines (white outlines as wide as the Colnago C59 MTBK logo's).
The speed weaponry below in matt black with the text also in white....

Guess what would look cool ;-)

But I also like the stealthy gray all black (bottom) version!

I will mock this up and see what it looks like.

audibmi wrote:enve decals are clear vinyl with printed graphics. stock is silver metallic outline pinstripe with solid white fill. if custom ones were to be made, i would definetely prefer just the outline with no fill to be more unique to 'stock' decals. silver would be my choice of color.

The solid color (Enve styles 1 and 2) will be die-cut from a solid color so the clear background isn't needed. The clear background is only need on style 3, when using 2 colors like the stock Enve decals.

ergott wrote:I think the solid lettered ENVE logo looks better without the things on the sides.

Personally, I agree, but can also see why people would want to keep things looking OEM with the wings. The solid color decals will be die-cut from 1 color so people can just snip the wings off before application if they don't want them. Win-win there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com