racing wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

goldielox

by goldielox

thinking of getting a new set of racing wheels. doing cat 2/3 races. my weight is 65kg. not sure what i am looking for. i know for tt and tris what i want/have but for straight out road racing not sure. i know there are countless setups out there but hope you would throw out some ideas.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ross

by ross

Well you don't mention a budget but the old adage remains: don't race what you can't replace

Second hand set of Zipp 404 tubular, Reynolds Assault tubular etc etc

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Where are the biggest differences made in the races that you run?

Where do your strengths lie? Attacking on flat, steeps? Longer solo efforts?

What are the conditions? Often wet? Windy?

What are the courses like?

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Following :)
Using Tapatalk

goldielox

by goldielox

price range lets have two. below 2500 and above

my riding is tt and hills. my club gets mad at me doing a pace line and i pull to hard. not a sprinter. its nothing for me to go out on century anytime was bored last sat and left the house at 4pm for one. the wind really doesnt bother me. at 65k not that light to get whipped around.

goldielox

by goldielox

btw, it can be seperate items. doesnt have to be a set just from a company. it can be rims from one, hubs from someone else ect....

LeDuke

by LeDuke

I'd get two sets of Chinese tubs on DA or DT 240 hubs. Sapim Lasers, DT Revs or similar 2.0/1.5 spokes.

38mm and 50mm fronts, 50 and 60mm rears.

Spend the rest on good tires.

goldielox

by goldielox

i've thought about going the import route but not sure for side by side racing. tt's and tri's ya not a problem but not sure about the road races. anyone use them for racing

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Rims from the land of carbon fibre are fine. Some will be better than others but i think most of the horror stories relate to rims and wheels from a few years ago. Spending the money you are thinking of on wheels is excessive. did a set of wheel that cost less than £300 for a cat 2 racer who won with them and ended up as a cat 1. The ammount you spend is not necessialry related to your performance in a race. That said a carbon rim from the land of carbon fibre and many other things laced to some decent hubs is going to be a lot cheaper than zipp or enve wheels and they will do the job in a very similar way.

I have gone that way but it has not helped me much yet. Still need to sustain higher power outputs.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

goldielox wrote:i've thought about going the import route but not sure for side by side racing. tt's and tri's ya not a problem but not sure about the road races. anyone use them for racing

I've been racing Pro/Open MTB on Chinese 30mm wide tubulars for 2 years.

Racing Pro/1/2 on the road on 50mm Chinese tubs for most of a decade.

Multebear

by Multebear

Goldielox, are you in the market for handbuild wheels or factory build ones?

goldielox

by goldielox

really doesnt matter on if hand built or factory

Multebear

by Multebear

With your relativity light weight, I wouldn't pick a deeper rim than 46 mm. I'd say something between 38 and 46 mm would be best. Zipp, Enve, Bontrager, Reynolds, Roval are solid brands and have wheels in that department. Maybe even November Rail 52 mm, if you think you can handle them in crosswinds.

If you are aiming for handbuild, then pick a pair of wide Farsports or Carbon-Cycle rims, lace them to Chris King R45, White Industries T11 or Dura Ace hubs with bladed Sapim or DT Swiss spokes.

sawyer

by sawyer

Budget - Chinese stuff as per suggestions above

Mid range - FFWD / Reynolds

Higher end - Campag/Shimano
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

I'm weight 75kg, personally, I built up two sets of wheels. One 40mm clincher, Chinese wide/aero rim, with custom/high end hubs/cxrays...and a set of 56mm tubulars, chinese aero, cxrays and Tune hubs for flats/racing.

I primarily use the 56mm tubulars, due to hassles of flats, close to home and racing. They come in around 1250gms I believe or there abouts. Def under 1300g if I recall. Then I run my clinchers for hilly/remote riding, easier flat repair etc...they are about 1320g total with high-end hubs, alchemy/DTSwiss combo.

Paid about $1300/pair to do that. Stopped throwing my money away on Zipp/HED whatever brand names, at 2x the price, and get 2 sets of wheels for the price of their 1 set.

Just my two cents..and they run/work fine...20/24 spoke setup on each.