Shimano r214 shoes: SPD & SPDr?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

twistyaction usa

by twistyaction usa

I've been using my sh-R214 (1 ratchet, 2 velcro straps) carbon shoes for 2-3 years with m2racer orb pedals (2 bolt spd) and now I want to try some slightly different pedals that have spd-r (3 bolt) cleats. Question is: My shoes seem to have the holes for my new cleats, but no threads on the outer two holes. I assumed it just required another cleat receptacle inserted from inside the shoe so I removed the insole only to find that the base insole seems to be non-removeable, glued down, permanent - allowing no access to the steel plate the cleats thread into. What gives? Nice weather that isn't forcasted to last long and new pedals installed, old cleats removed. :noidea:

HXTi

by HXTi

I had those shoes and I too had to remove the original metal plate and insert the 3 bolt pattern plate to use the shimano spd sl pedals. Look carefully right above the cleat area inside the shoes and there should be a partially cut window that you need to pull up on. You need to pull up on the outer material as well as the thin insulation layer under it. Its a poor poor design and on one shoe I had to actually cut it a bit to get it to open. The bad news is that that window can cave downward under hard pedalling and give you an unpleasant feeling at the balls of your foot.

My advice would be try it and see if it works but IMO the new r215's are a better shoe especially if you're going to use 3 bolt pattern pedals. There is nothing to remove and they use a much more solid threaded plate to receive the screws.

Your shoe could be messed up though and not have a cut out section. If so then you can try and cut into it but the results will not be that great.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

twistyaction usa

by twistyaction usa

Yup, I forged ahead with a very large screwdriver for prying and a utility knife, and one gruesome surgery later... My shoes that say spd-r, now actually are! Hope I can avoid the cave in as I only severed about 30% of the whole "perforation" Thanks Shitmano. I like the look of the 215's a lot and the lighter weight too. My last excuse for not getting them was that my 214's were perfectly fine and rigid still. Guess I got rid of that obstacle. :roll:

HXTi

by HXTi

Yeah I used the 214's for a while but never did like the cave in feeling and after some time the shoe got sloppy on my foot....meaning I had to tighten up a bit more than before because the uppers stretched out.

I was able to fit into a smaller size with my current 215's so they feel more snug without pinching and the uppers are stiffer. If you have really wide fore feet though then the 215's might be a bit tighter. Heck you've got about 3 yrs of good service.....buy the r215's (if they fit nicely) and use the older ones for a rainy day.

There problem solved....with no guilt. :D