Replacing Red for heavier Ultegra Di2, worth weight penalty?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

I've been running 2012 SRAM Red on my road and tt bikes but considering going electronic. Would go Ultegra Di2 to start since not quite ready to start moving to 11 speed but might eventually go that direction and move the Ultegra Di2 to the cross bike. The biggest thing that is holding me back is the weight penalty. Is the shifting worth the weight penalty?

Not interested in the old DA Di2 since want compatibility with the new system going forward. Record11 is also an option if I were to accept 11 speed but leaning torwards the big S.
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Rock Lobster Team Tig SL Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019
Gaulzetti Cabron Disc (Retired to the Kickr after an accident)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

Definitely.
The actuation is much smoother, and the front shifting alone makes up for the added weight.

Ultegra Di2 seems like the most practical option to me.

sungod

by sungod

my sram red (2010) shifts perfectly well, can't see why i'd want to add weight

shift down <<snik>> it's over in a fraction of a second, then you climb for 10km and the weight is there all the way up

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Made topic a little less ambiguous and it's also a topic that's been discussed ad nauseum on here, so searching will help you.

One thing I will mention is that on the TT bike mechanical is still my preference simply because of the reach restrictions you get when going to electronic. I (and mates of mine who TT and even Wiggins and Froome) need the extra reach, so have stuck with mechanical.

Otherwise Di2 is fantastic stuff.

NGMN

by NGMN

Just as a counter point to what Tinea said, the electronic stuff on a tt bike also gives the advantage of the second shifting point. I haven't used it though.

There was a huge Sram Red v. Ultegra Di2 topic not too long ago, so definitely search.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

How is shifting a counter point to a fit/aero issue?

No matter how good shifting might be, if you're losing reach and it's not leaving you as aero as possible it doesn't matter how where you can shift from.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com