Speedplay ZERO cleats vs LIGHT ACTION cleats

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tillquist

by Tillquist

Hello

From what I can see is these 2 cleats quite similar.

So should I be able to use LIGHT ACTION cleats for Zero pedals?

ImageImage
See all my bike h e r e

cogsci

by cogsci

No!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wetpaint

by wetpaint

Yes, you can, I've put several thousand miles on combinations of Zero cleats, LA pedals and LA cleats with Zero pedals. The cleats are exactly the same except for the spring rate and the float screws.

cogsci

by cogsci

http://speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseacti ... ightaction

"Note: Light Action pedals are not compatible with Speedplay Zero and X-Series cleats.
Light Action cleats are not compatible with Zero and X-Series pedals."

Why would they discourage you from doing so?

Gregorio

by Gregorio

As wetpaint said, they will work fine. I have used them without any problem. You just cannot adjust the float as you can on zero cleats.
And you can also use zero cleats on the LA pedals.

Tillquist

by Tillquist

Gregorio wrote:As wetpaint said, they will work fine. I have used them without any problem. You just cannot adjust the float as you can on zero cleats.
And you can also use zero cleats on the LA pedals.

Thanks a lot 
See all my bike h e r e

wetpaint

by wetpaint

cogsci wrote:http://speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.lightaction

"Note: Light Action pedals are not compatible with Speedplay Zero and X-Series cleats.
Light Action cleats are not compatible with Zero and X-Series pedals."

Why would they discourage you from doing so?

Probably so that people who start on LA and want to upgrade have to buy pedals too instead of only having to spend $30 on cleats.

Grimpeur

by Grimpeur

Coz Speedplay = the devil :evil:
This is my Bike. There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without me, my bike is useless. Without my bike, I am useless.

andyoo

by andyoo

OK guys, Just like the other guy said, light and zero's cleat is almost identical and I have tesed and it works fine on both.
After careful comparison, on the cleat side, the bottom shoe plate is identical on both and so is the metal top piece.
The only different is the plastic layer in the middle, zero has screw for adjustment and light don't.
The other difference is the 'C' shape metal piece is made of softer metal and open a little wider. However, the metal 'C' piece zero has same shape as light.
This make the metal easier to 'open' and clip on.
As for the pedal side, there is some slight difference in the opening being the light is earier to clip in...but it don't make much difference.
(cleat work on both).

I did the following mod, take the C shape metal from the light and relace the C shape metal on the zero cleat.
Now I have a cleat that is easy to open and can adjust float!
I try it on my zero padel and it locks in and out just fine and of course much easier to get in and out.
I then try it on my light padel and it locks in and out fine and even easier to get out.
Just wonder if anyone can confirm my finding and let me know if there is any problem you encountered.

mrnotwo

by mrnotwo

Do they also work on X series?

allezkmiec

by allezkmiec

They certainly do not work on X series pedals. 100% incompatible.

zsir

by zsir

It's also stated that light action and zero axles are not interchangeable.... is that true? It's kind of expensive to get titanium axles for light action pedals

aadamcycle

by aadamcycle

light action spindles are definitely not compatible I have tried to do the same thing you want to do. If you are wanting a set of ti spindles check ebay 50$ for a set. Couple that with 125$ cromo pedals then you have ti spindled speedplays for 100$ less than normal.
put the fun between your legs

wetpaint

by wetpaint

mrnotwo wrote:Do they also work on X series?

No. You can clip into X series pedals with Zero or LA cleats, but good luck getting the shoes unclipped. It's nearly impossible to pull them apart from the pedals.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ipaul

by ipaul

Can you just simply drive in some set screws in to the LA cleats to control the float?
Seems like the easier way to get float limits along with a lighter entry/release as opposed to swapping the sprng over to the zero cleats.
:P