Dura Ace 9000 - ETA late 2012/early 2013

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mann2

by mann2

NGMN wrote:
mann2 wrote:

I have somewhat mixed feelings on the rims though. they seem to be constructed like the last generation (wh-9000) C24 wherein it's a deeper box section. Not teardrop shaped like the previous C35. Also, it doesnt yet have the C50's wider rim. I measured the inner width at 20mm.

I'm kind of confused, because a blunt inner edge(i.e. like box section of days gone by) and an inner width of 20mm sounds a lot like the new age wheels to me. Is there something lost in the text here? 20mm inner rim width is actually very wide(Zipp FC is 16-17mm).

i was expecting something wider for the C35.... kinda more like the C50's width. The carbon laminate portion of the C35 isn't smooth like the previous version. it has those hexagonal reinforcement shapes at the spoke bed. i dunno. just not my style, i guess. and yes, the cross section for these will be boxed.

it's more of a deeper C24 than a shallower C50 lets put it at that :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

atanger

by atanger

merka, that was very informative, do you or anybody else have the 9000 manual handy, thank you

rmerka

by rmerka

http://si.shimano.com/content/si/rear-d ... 01-ENG.pdf
http://si.shimano.com/content/si/shifti ... 00-ENG.pdf

Here's two links but if go to http://si.shimano.com you can search for the dealer manual for each 9000 component.

dha

by dha

Reading the dealer manuals from the link above (thanks rmerka) it says that a 10spd cassette requires both the 1.85mm and 1mm spacers to be used. Had thought it was just the 1.85mm that was required with the 10spd cassette on the 11spd hubs.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

10sp will need both spacers. The 1.85mm is needed to make it fit the 10/9/8sp dimension but recall that the 10sp cassette needs that 1mm spacer to bring it up to that dimension since it is 1mm shallower than the 9sp cassette.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

So now that a few of you have 9070 DI2, how about some reports? It's always nice to get reports from folks who aren't magazine or web writers beholden to companies for ad revenues and access.

keith

by keith

BdaGhisallo wrote:So now that a few of you have 9070 DI2, how about some reports? It's always nice to get reports from folks who aren't magazine or web writers beholden to companies for ad revenues and access.

I've been riding the DA 9000 for a little while now and it is amazing, very light and precise shifting. Front shift is the same - light and buttery. I'm also having my LBS build a Di2 9070 bike, hopefully in the next week or so when the parts arrive, so will let you know how it works out then.
Riding my road bikes around Eryri

http://www.strava.com/athletes/keith_robertson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

smooth1978

by smooth1978

I posted this over in BNA forum with no response so I thought I'd try here...

I recently upgraded to a 2013 cannondale evo dura ace di2. awesome bike, but on the second ride I noticed a noise from the cassette whilst applying power through the cranks. the noise was in the 3rd, 4th and 5th cogs (from the top) which is the section joined by the carbon carrier.

after many tests the lbs confirmed that the noise was definitely coming from these cogs. shimano said they hadn't heard of the issue but sent a replacement cassette. the lbs fitted the cassette and I did a few passes up the footpath applying power as I rode past the mechanic. the noise was still there, and when I really powered through the cranks I actually smashed the carbon carrier to pieces.

shimano say it might be a bad batch and they are now sending another cassette. I know this is only early days for 9000 and 9070 but I was wondering if anyone else knows of any similar issues with the carbon carrier.

the bike is 63cm and I am 193cm and 94kg. Don't have a power meter but I'm not pushing enough power to be smashing cassette's!

a bit of an open ended post but I just wanted to know if anyone has had (or heard of) and similar issues.

cheers

mann2

by mann2

not exactly the same but i had some similar issues. Mine's a creaking noise from from 13T, 14T (im on 12-25) while powering down. weird thing is that there were no issues with 12T. sounded like creaking and i suspected lockring tension or something from the RD/cassette end because the sound seemed to come from there. anyhow we later was found the culprit to be FD chainrub and experimented and tried so many positions on the height. finally minimized it to the point that it's no longer bothersome.

rmerka

by rmerka

BdaGhisallo wrote:So now that a few of you have 9070 DI2, how about some reports? It's always nice to get reports from folks who aren't magazine or web writers beholden to companies for ad revenues and access.

I've got about 120 miles on my Di2 9070 and so far it's fantastic :D It's super smooth and shifts perfectly every single time whether its under power or not. Using praxis 52/36 rings with it so it's a little different than than the Shimano crank. The crank was just too ugly for me.

Horacio

by Horacio

Myself and another rider from a different squad are having these issues as well. He has the same bike as I do and we were comparing notes.
When I'm giving an out of saddle effort, it starts making all sorts of racket. Its rather embarassing to have a brand new bike doing this. It almost sounds as if the rear skewer isnt snug enough. I've experimented with different skewers and the outcome is the same. A friend has a Cannondale Evo Hi-Mod with Di2 and his makes no noise. Shimano needs to figure this out.
Taking it to my LBS will prove useless since they cant ride it on any hills since thats the only place it occurs.

rmerka

by rmerka

I'm not having these issues, what wheels are y'all using? Maybe it's a freehub incompatibility... I'm on Zipp 202's.

Horacio

by Horacio

DA 9000 C24 on my bike.
Rider from the other squad has Fulcrum Zeros.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rmerka

by rmerka

Well that rules out my freehub theory. You'd think the DA wheels wouldn't have any issues. I guess the bad batch theory maybe the most plausible thing right now.