Dura Ace 9000 - ETA late 2012/early 2013

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

I emailed KMC. We'll see what they say.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

upside

by upside

QBP has the 11 speed KMC links in stock :smartass:

edesigner

by edesigner

wingguy wrote:
rei14 wrote:Just picked up my DA 9000 shifters hoping that it'll work with my current 10 speed components. I wasnt happy with the ergonomics of the 6700/7900 shifters so I just stuck with the 6600 until the 9000 came out....

2. Rear derail was another story. It just wont shift to the 13t and it kinda rubs the 14th teeth. Other than that it shifts fine throughout the other gears. Most of the time I have it on the 15t so this is not a problem for me. Overall I'm pretty happy with the performance.

I don't mean to be rude - but I don't get it.

What are you gaining from the 9000 levers that is more important than having a drive train that works? :noidea:

If Dura-Ace would come out with a 9000B version that would work with 10speed they would fly off the shelves I bet.

I for one just don't understand this direction from Shimano. It's great if you are building a brand new bike and have the spare cash but many of us that have multiple sets of wheels...especially expensive carbon ones. Also Cyclocross bikes that share the same wheels, cassettes ..etc. I guess they wanted something less finicky than Campy? I mean plenty of people here have Campy and love it it seems so why not just narrow the spacing..cogs..etc. Why couldn't they come up with a new group where shifters and cassettes could be upgraded separately? People would still buy the group for something new and cool but many many others (like me) would probably jump at the chance to moderately upgrade bike by bike and pieces by pieces.

I know this has probably been posted already so excuse the repetition. Just venting a little since I am in the process of upgrading now for a big return to racing next year.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

upside wrote:QBP has the 11 speed KMC links in stock :smartass:

Yea, so do I, but the question is why KMC initially stated compatibility with DA9000, and then retracted.

SvenNijs

by SvenNijs

edesigner wrote:I for one just don't understand this direction from Shimano. It's great if you are building a brand new bike and have the spare cash but many of us that have multiple sets of wheels...especially expensive carbon ones. Also Cyclocross bikes that share the same wheels, cassettes ..etc. I guess they wanted something less finicky than Campy? I mean plenty of people here have Campy and love it it seems so why not just narrow the spacing..cogs..etc. Why couldn't they come up with a new group where shifters and cassettes could be upgraded separately? People would still buy the group for something new and cool but many many others (like me) would probably jump at the chance to moderately upgrade bike by bike and pieces by pieces.
I know this has probably been posted already so excuse the repetition. Just venting a little since I am in the process of upgrading now for a big return to racing next year.

It's called progress & selling new product.
I'm guessing you're not that old otherwise you would have already been through this a few times with 5>6>7>8>9>10 and now 11spd. Freewheel to freehub. Down tube to integrated shifters. Etc to etc.
Just remember no-one (Shimano included) is forcing you to upgrade. Your 10spd will be supported for a fair few years yet (I'm running 12 year old Record 10s and can still get parts) so if you're happy with it, stick with it. :D

edesigner

by edesigner

Hey I starting racing on Freewheels and shifting didn't have clicks if that's a measure :lol: The difference now is cost vs previous eras. Wheels then were a fraction of what they are now. Then a set of racing wheels set you back in the hundreds vs 1000s. Cassettes didn't run 250 and up as well. I would love to see data from the last major Shimano upgrade vs this one. Im' all for progress but don't tell a guy with 3 sets of carbon wheels that they won't work with the new stuff.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Who is compelling the guy with three sets of carbon wheels that he has to upgrade and buy the new DA 9000?

edesigner

by edesigner

BdaGhisallo wrote:Who is compelling the guy with three sets of carbon wheels that he has to upgrade and buy the new DA 9000?

Nobody of course. I was just speaking my mind about Shimano's choice to make that big a change that affects so many racers/hobbyists that like "new stuff"

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Fair enough, and I am just playing devil's advocate here.

Do you recall when Campy changed their spline pattern when they updated their product line, including an increase in the number of cogs? I don't recall if it was 7sp to 8sp or 8sp to 9sp. Sometimes it has to be done in order to create a platform that companies feel the market desires. Shimano's spline pattern and cassette body dimensions have remained unchanged for a very, very long time, at least as far back as the launch of 8sp 7700 in 1997, and probably further back than that but my recall is fuzzy beyond that.

Campy chose to do it a few product generations ago. Shimano held off as long as they felt they could but now that they are moving to 11sp, they obviously felt they had no choice.

hjb1000

by hjb1000

BdaGhisallo wrote:Shimano's spline pattern and cassette body dimensions have remained unchanged for a very, very long time, at least as far back as the launch of 8sp 7700 in 1997, and probably further back than that but my recall is fuzzy beyond that.

Even further.
Dura Ace 7400 hubs from the early 90's were the first 'Hyperglide' freehub (with both Uniglide and Hyperglide compatibility) when they introduced 8-speed.

roadytracky

by roadytracky

If you want 10 spd. just get DA 7900 or even Ultegra. I think it's great that Shimano is going all the way and delivering the most cutting edge product available. If you don't like the move to 11spd. better close your eyes when that new DA 4-arm crankset passes by.

Also, I'm sure Shimano wasn't happy with the compatibility with SRAM. Probably cost them more sales than they might lose (debatable either way) with the switch to 11spd. I just bought new wheels with 10spd. hubs so I will probably be on 10spd. for another season or 2. I feel like I still have plenty of options...Plus they're cheaper options now.

bigcalves

by bigcalves

I just do not get some of the comments. Look at the web site we are all on, it is for bike geeks and equipment geeks. 6 speed, to 7 speed, to 8, to 9, to 10, to electronic, to 11. Also it is not like Shimano is the first two market with this, how long has it been out on Campy?

As for me I love the new stuff, I just got my new 2013 bike last week with Dura Ace 9000. I love the look of the new crank and der. Sure having to change wheels is a bummer, and the price of new cassettes is painful (until an Ultegra version comes out in 2013), but I want the best stuff and it was not that big a deal. I sold my old race wheel and I look forward to an upgrade. My bike came with new DT training wheels and I am plenty happy with them. I had a nice set of old school metal tubulars I used for dirt and I was sorry to have to sell them, but they were 10 years old.

Also keep in mind all the wheel companies are aware of this issue and are working to figure it out. Heck Mavic's wheels already work. A friend is running HED and they told him they are getting ready to release a rebuild kit so he can keep his current wheels. I am sure that as time goes by this will not be that big of an issue.

rei14

by rei14

Update: I just installed the 9000 chain... it works a little better than the 6700 chain with the 6600 cassette. I'm able to get it to go from 12,13, it skips 14, 15~27t. With some tweaking I got it to go from 12~17t, skips 19, 21~27t. I decided to lose the 14t instead.

I also picked up the 9000 front derail (since it was on sale). Have to say... its easier to shift than my 7800 fd/9000 shifter combo.

Hope, my experimentation helps anyone who is trying to get their 10 speed gear working with the 9000 shifters.

NCBikeGuy

by NCBikeGuy

asv wrote:
Geoff wrote:Hmmmmm. My friends at GreenEdge said that Shimano is having difficulty with the delivery of DA9000 Di2, so they can't get me my bike until Spring... :cry:

I hope that's not the case, I have a 9070 evo on order, and the last word on delivery was the end of this month.

So, have you received any updates regarding delivery? I have a 9070 Evo on order as well. When I placed the order sometime in September, Cannondale gave the LBS a ship date of 11/19. That came and went with no update until last Friday when they changed the ship date to 12/16. I am not sure I believe it given the comment by someone else estimating February.

That being said, I can't get too upset about it right now. I am recovering from a broken ankle suffered in a crash the end of October. I hope to be able to get back on the bike by the end of January, albeit with piss poor fitness. I figure I can't ride the Evo until I get back to at least 4w/kg so I don't look like some kind of poser on a superbike. So, the Look 555 may get some more miles after all.

New to the site, Hello all.

Thanks,
Greg
My rides:
2006 Look 555 Ultegra
2006 Felt B2 Dura Ace
2013 Cannondale Evo HiMod Dura Ace di2

edesigner

by edesigner

roadytracky wrote:If you want 10 spd. just get DA 7900 or even Ultegra. I think it's great that Shimano is going all the way and delivering the most cutting edge product available. If you don't like the move to 11spd. better close your eyes when that new DA 4-arm crankset passes by.

Also, I'm sure Shimano wasn't happy with the compatibility with SRAM. Probably cost them more sales than they might lose (debatable either way) with the switch to 11spd. I just bought new wheels with 10spd. hubs so I will probably be on 10spd. for another season or 2. I feel like I still have plenty of options...Plus they're cheaper options now.

I got this off a thread on roadbikereview on the topic SRAM 11spd. Interesting opinion.

"I think the rub is this:

The first designs for Shimano (and presumably SRAM) 11 speed have come out and it seems that 11-speed require completely different rear hubs in order to fit into conventional 130mm dropouts. To me this is non-starter. As nice as an extra intermediary cog would be, its not worth rebuilding 2 rear wheels for, and by the looks of it, there's no way around it.

To me, it makes more sense to wait for 12-speed down the road, and what appears to be the inevitable standardization of 135mm or larger rear dropouts (although I'm curious what that means in terms of chainstay length, foot clearance, Q-factor, etc). At that point, it makes more sense to me to make a big change that might last awhile rather than what appears to be an intermediate change that will be outdated in a year or two. It's going to make frame buying a fairly hazardous activity the next couple of years, I'd wager."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com