Dura Ace 9000 - ETA late 2012/early 2013

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Horacio

by Horacio

My buddy with the Can Evo Hi-Mod and 9070 says he has no noise out of his 11-28. Don't know if its relevant, but he's not running the DA crank and has a 50-34 up front, so he's prob not powering down on it as much as me with my DA standard crank.
Maybe we should state what crank we have and if its a compact or standard?

petal666

by petal666

Power output has nothing to do with chain ring size.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Horacio

by Horacio

Power might be the wrong word.
How about tension.
There's got to be more in a 53 vs a 50 or 34.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

One more question on the pros and cons of using Ultegra DI2 levers with 9070, if you'll indulge me. Many of the reviews of 9070 mention that Shimano increased the tactile feel of the shift buttons, giving the user a firmer indication that they have pressed the shift buttons. I presume they put stronger springs behind the shift button.

Can anyone who has handled, and perhaps shifted both 9070 and 6770 STI levers comment on the difference between the two? The 6770 levers look to provide a nice cost reduction in assembling a 9070 setup. I don't mind the feel on my 7970 STI levers, even now that they've seen 3.5 years of use, but I would like to flesh this decision out from all angles and get as much information as I can.

Thanks.

rmerka

by rmerka

@BdaGhisallo I have both and yes the 9070 shifters do have a firmer and a bit louder click when you press them. It's subtle though and IMO not a big deal at all. Ergonomically speaking I prefer the feel of the 9070 levers, but again it subtle and I'm sure other may feel the exact opposite as that purely a preference thing. They're both excellent IMO.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

@rmerka,

Thanks for the feedback. Ergonomically, are the 9070 hoods much different from 7970? I find the 7970 hoods to be the best shaped hoods I have ever used and I gather the 6770 are very, very similar to them. That is adding to my inclination to go with 6770 levers.

rmerka

by rmerka

Ergonomically, are the 9070 hoods much different from 7970?

Can't say, I've never used the 7970. Between the 9070 and the 6770, they both great but I also find I'm just grateful to have such a sweet setup I can't complain about much :D

efitzhug

by efitzhug

I'm also experiencing noise out of my 11-28... noise in the 25 and 17sprockets...

I can trim the RD and get the 17 quiet, but the 25 gets noisy... I trim to get the 25 quiet and then the 17 gets noisy...

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Final question re 9070 with 6770 STI levers: Will there be any issue with using the 6770 levers with 7900 or 9000 calipers? I recall when 7900 was launched that there was much talk that 7900 levers wouldn't play nice with 7800 or earlier calipers due to leverage ratios and such, leading to compromised modulation and power mis-matches. Any such issues with 6770 levers and the new style DA calipers?

Here in Bermuda, there's not much call for heavy or sustained braking since there aren't any long downhills. Most of my braking is for stop signs at the bottom of hills or for traffic lights. That said, I would like to iron everything out before I pull the trigger.

Thanks.

smooth1978

by smooth1978

Righteo

To those who care...

I have been through five (5) 11 speed dura ace cassette's (all supplied by Shimano - who are aware of this problem through several stores in Australia). Cassette's were fitted by the LBS mechanic and I tested with him there.

Story to date
- Brand new SuperSix Evo Hi-Mod
- Noise in the cassette (11-25). To identify this, we swapped out my back wheel for a used wheel which had a 10 speed dura ace cassette. Tested through similar gears and no noise present. Took the 10 speed cassette of the used wheel, and put it on my new wheel (mavic 11 speed) with suitable spacers and tested. No noise apparent. Put the 11 speed dura ace cassette back onto my mavic wheel and the noise is again present. FEELING PRETTY CONFIDENT that it's the cassette.
- Shimano send a replacement cassette (11-25) which is fitted to my wheel. Noise is still present. At this stage I am riding up a slight incline, past the LBS mechanic and powering hard through the cranks as I pass him. He, i and other onlookers can clearly hear the noise! When I really crank down, the carbon section gives way...SMASHED.
-A guy at the LBS has a Giant tcr with 9000 fitted. I jump on this bike and I can replicate the sound on the carbon section of the cassette (but not the top 2 cogs).
-At this stage I will point out that there is also a similar noise on the top 2 cogs (on four of the tested cassette's, not the cassette fitted to the TCR), but as these are not joined by carbon I don't feel as worried about a catastrophic failure!!!
-Shimano send two (2) new cassette's (a 11-25 and 11-28). Both are fitted and tried, with the head mechanic, and other mechanics listening as I apply power whilst riding past them.
-Getting very frustrated.
-Mechanic starts to think outside the square...... Now that we have so many cassette's... he removed the carbon carrier section (cogs 3, 4 & 5) and replaces them with the same sized tiagra cogs, and spaces them correctly with spacers taken from the defective dura ace cassette's. And there we go....NO NOISE on those cogs.... But still a similar noise on the top two cogs (as I said before, I wasn't as concerned by this noise as I don't see the same potential for catastrophic failure as with the carbon carrier.
-In a bid to eliminate the noise in the top 2 cogs I am going to try two things (I have a 23-25 arrangement, and a 25-28 arrangement) to the different cogs. I will simply apply a liberal amount of lubrication to the 6 rivets holding these 2 cogs together and test. With the other, I will centre punch and then apply some loctite to each rivet.
If this works, maybe the noise in the carbon section was loose rivets, or rivets that have not been pressed enough in the shimano factory.

Anyway, I'm sick of typing. I will provide another update if I have any luck.

Cheers

smooth1978

by smooth1978

None of the above is a long term solution, and Shimano still need to address what is becoming a common problem.

rrkite99

by rrkite99

Smooth 1978 Any updates ? I am putting my DA 11 speed bike together next week and want to anticipate problems. Kinda bummed there could be a problem but I guess teething woes should be expected, Heck I am building this bike to be my hill climber and if I have noise and durability questions going uphill it blows the whole point. thanks

vwo05

by vwo05

Does anyone have an elegant solution for an alternate way to mount the new di2 3 port and 5 port junction boxes? I think the current method with the big rubber strap around the stem is pretty ugly. Am I the only one who thinks this?

All I could think of was either make a headset spacer with a protrusion that snapped onto the junction box mount or something that you could mount between your bolts and stem faceplate that would protrude inwards and connect to the box mount underneath the stem. Seemed like it'd be a great task for an aftermarket company like k-edge or bar fly or do it yourselfers like Morten Tillquist. I have his garmin 500 ahead mount by the way. Gorgeous!

rmerka

by rmerka

I too think the strap is nasty looking. I put a small dab of epoxy on the plastic mounting bracket and stuck it to the bottom of my stem. Let it cure and then slid the junction box on. Very pleased with how it turned out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vwo05

by vwo05

I didn't think of that. Although I am hesitant to epoxy something onto my stem. Can you post a pic?