Dura Ace 9000 - ETA late 2012/early 2013

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dynaserve

by dynaserve

Cool

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MarkThailand

by MarkThailand

My bike frame, including Shimano DA DI2 9070 groupset and the internal seatpost battery are at my builder.

My bike builder has procured a Pinerallo internal seatpost battery clamp that is normally used to affix the Shimano DA DI2 internal battery in the aero Pinarello seat post.

The clamp plus battery fits perfectly and snugly with the adjustment screw in my ENVE 34.9 mm seat post.

I do not know how to post pictures on this forum and I do not have a image dropbox account, so sorry for no pics.

Mark

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Some useful info posted by Tom Kellogg over on V Salon:

"OK folks. I "spoke" with Wayne yesterday about all of this. Here is the straight poop from the guy who knows his $hit:
- The Shimano 11 speed inter-cog spacing can only be shifted properly in a Di2 system with an 11 speed rear derailleur (currently only the RD-9070). Full stop. The control levers are irrelevant since they are simply dumb switches. The Di2 rear derailleurs determine the inter-cog jump spaces and they can NOT be reprogrammed.
- So, in order to use your old 10 speed rear cassettes, you will need to replace your RD-9070 with a RD-6770 (Ultegra 10sp Di2). That combo will work just fine.
- Conversely, if you want to "upgrade" your 10 speed Ultegra Di2 bike to 11sp, you will simply swap out the rear derailleur to the new RD-9070 and a new 9070 chain. The ST-6770 control levers will shift the 11sp rear derailleur without issue. The only potential issue with this combo is unintended funky shifts when in the big/big combination.

So there you go. Because the electrical engineering of the Di2 system is so simple, (relatively) Mixing and matching is generally not a big deal. All of the connecting wires in current Di2 systems are identical except for length. They can be unplugged from either junction box and plugged into different sockets and it won't make any difference. As mentioned above, the control levers and rear derailleur have no logic circuits that can be reprogrammed. The reprogramming available through the PC interface controls which control lever and which switches do what. Through that interface, you can change which lever shifts which derailleur and which lever shifts up or down. You can also program many aspects of the "multi shift" system which allows you to "dump" gears in a programmable fashion. Only two gears dumped per dump? Sure. Five gears dumped? Sure. Fast dump? Slow dump? No problem. All of that programming is done to the flash memory in the front derailleur ... which acts as the brain of the Di2 system."

dha

by dha

Do you need the 11ps chainrings (and new crank of course) if you want to upgrade a 6770 system to 11 speed with the RD-9070?

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

no 10spd cranks are compatable with 11spd
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

dha

by dha

Had "heard" shimano claiming the narrower chain can slip between the two chainrings and they have made them closer to each other on the 11spd versions to prevent this. Might be shimano bull to make us buy the new ones.......

upside

by upside

Yup, I have installed the 9000 crankset on 10sp bikes and it works nice.

Packs

by Packs

dha wrote:Had "heard" shimano claiming the narrower chain can slip between the two chainrings and they have made them closer to each other on the 11spd versions to prevent this. Might be shimano bull to make us buy the new ones.......

I just lined up my FC7800-C with the FC9000 and the chainrings are equally spaced.
The 7800C and 7900 chainsets do have slightly bigger teeth in places though. Not sure if that would cause any issues?

dha

by dha

Packs wrote:
dha wrote:Had "heard" shimano claiming the narrower chain can slip between the two chainrings and they have made them closer to each other on the 11spd versions to prevent this. Might be shimano bull to make us buy the new ones.......

I just lined up my FC7800-C with the FC9000 and the chainrings are equally spaced.
The 7800C and 7900 chainsets do have slightly bigger teeth in places though. Not sure if that would cause any issues?

Thanks

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Hi

Sorry if this has been covered already (did a search with no luck, checked listings no luck) but has anyone weighed their Dura-Ace WH-9000 C24 CL's?

Thanks in advance.

GJ

petal666

by petal666

Just got a new set. I shall weigh tonight.

doggatas

by doggatas

Have just replaced mechanical 9000 with Di2 9070. Wow, wow and wow. Electronic shifting is amazing.

petal666

by petal666

WH-9000-C24 CL 597g and 826g including blue rim tape.

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Great, thanks Petal.

:beerchug:

insightt47

by insightt47

Just tried a 9000 derallieur and chain with a 10 speed shimano cassette and sram red 1013 shifters and it works fine. There is a bit of chain skipping but the shifting is great. Ill update when i receive my cs-9000 cassette to confirm if the skipping is because of the worn cassette.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com