Dura Ace 9000 - ETA late 2012/early 2013

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Horacio

by Horacio

I have Tillquist's Garmin mount and this is how I mounted the Junction A to my bike.
juncA by Harleyhoracio, on Flickr

morrisond

by morrisond

Will it fit inside a 3T Team Integra? It has a cavity to accept these boxes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rmerka

by rmerka

vwo05 wrote:I didn't think of that. Although I am hesitant to epoxy something onto my stem. Can you post a pic?

This is the closest shot I have on my computer right now. If you want a different shot let me know. It was the cleanest looking install I could come up with. I did remove the little rubber pad from the mount before I stuck it on there.

vwo05

by vwo05

Horacio, is that a long version of morten's garmin mount modified to bolt underneath the stem? I don't recall a version of his that went undeneath the stem.

rmerka, that actually looks good. I have the same stem so a perfect visualization! Does it feel pretty secure? And what epoxy did you end up using?

rmerka

by rmerka

It's rock solid! More so than using a big rubber band. I very lightly roughened up the surface where I stuck the bracket on with a fine grit sandpaper. Let it cure completely and then slid on the junction box. I didn't worry too much about it as the bike is only going to be a Di2 bike and the junction box can be easily removed and replaced from the bracket. I used Loctite 5 min epoxy

vwo05

by vwo05

Horacia, nvm. I think I found the tillquist mount. But looks like you have the FSA plasma bar/stem version. Pretty neat that you have the setup for this.

Horacio

by Horacio

Yes, it's the FSA stem/bar. I thought I had responded to you via my phone, but it looks like it didn't post. My apologies.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Can anyone compare the chain noise from the 9000 chain compared to the 7900? I always felt that the cutouts and hollowed pins made the 7900 chain noisier than the 7800 chain. The 9000 chain has the hollow pins, but the cutout links are gone if my memory serves me.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

The noise really is from the hollow chainring fpr the 7900. The DA9000 has filled out the hollow in the chainring to address this it seems.

vwo05

by vwo05

Horacia, I saw your flickr album had more photos. I really really like the way that looks. Any reason why you felt you needed the extra velcro strap?

doggatas

by doggatas

The mid carbon spider cracked on meafter track standing at a set of lights and taking off with extreme pressure on the pedals, I'd estimate around 750-800 watts in the 53-19, it gave way as if the chain was slipping, but upon further inspection is was the spider spinning around to the next spline on the freewheel. I eased off the pedals and took it easy all the way home, only using the 25 or 23. cassette was an 11-25. I dare say it was somehow slightly cracked prior to this and the violent take off was the actual breaking point.

I've since had the 11-25 replaced with a 12-25, 500 more km's, no issues yet.

Horacio

by Horacio

^^
Cannondale Evos with Di2 come with a zip tie on the rear of the junction...at least my buddy's did. So I went with Velcro instead. I also installed 2 rubber washers between the Garmin mount and the stem to hopefully soak up some vibration. There has to be a better way to stick the junction on instead of using epoxy. That's a rigid install and maybe asking for problems down the road. Just my .2

rmerka

by rmerka

Rigid install issues??? What possible problems are you thinking of?

Horacio

by Horacio

Just that that box is an electrical device and there's a lot of vibration through the stem.
I could be way off the mark here, but the last thing I would want is an issue out on the road where it rendered the shifting useless.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rmerka

by rmerka

With all due respect I think your off the mark. I only say that because the shifters are attached directly to bars, the FD is attached directly to the braze on, the RD is attached directly to the dropout.