Dura Ace 9000 - ETA late 2012/early 2013

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eric01

by eric01

BobDopolina wrote:Once again Shimano demonstrates its inability to work carbon.

Their C24 carbon laminate clinchers are pretty darn good.

My impression of shimano is that weight isn't their #1 design target. Their stuff does have a good reputation for durability and consistency though.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

vboy19

by vboy19

wassertreter wrote:

Either that, or their commitment to put out rock solid products with ample safety margin, targeted at average Joe, who's not very interesting in weighing things.

I do agree with your statement. Shimano takes it's time to produce high quality products that last for a long time. But they can get the hint on their wheel production for good god man 1700 grams for tublars!!! Oh well...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NGMN

by NGMN

the wheels on the scale are 50mm deep clinchers...

HillRPete

by HillRPete

vboy19 wrote:But they can get the hint on their wheel production for good god man 1700 grams for tublars!!! Oh well...

NGMN wrote:the wheels on the scale are 50mm deep clinchers...

Yes, clinchers, with aluminium brake tracks. The weight figure is not out of the ordinary by any means.

Horacio

by Horacio

Just release the 9070 Di2 in the states for crying out loud!!!!!
My frame has been sitting for waaaaaay too long!!

atxfireman

by atxfireman

I'm in the same boat. Frame waiting in the bike shop. Ten days ago, my LBS gave me an ETA of 2/21 which is tomorrow. I'm hopeful, but don't believe it will be here tomorrow or anytime soon.

BobDopolina
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by BobDopolina

eric01 wrote:Their C24 carbon laminate clinchers are pretty darn good.

fify

eric01 wrote:My impression of shimano is that weight isn't their #1 design target. Their stuff does have a good reputation for durability and consistency though.

They make top notch stuff. No argument here.

They've never really been successful with carbon in their bike line but it seems to me more of a case of them never embracing the material. They sure can work the heck out of alloys, though.

Who knows what is in development.
BDop Cycling Co., Ltd.
https://www.bdopcycling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NCBikeGuy

by NCBikeGuy

Horacio wrote:Just release the 9070 Di2 in the states for crying out loud!!!!!
My frame has been sitting for waaaaaay too long!!

I can't imagine it being much longer. The 9070 di2 stuff has been showing up in the states for at least the past month. I got my new C'dale Evo a month ago. I have already done a detailed write up of my impressions on the thread titled "Is buying a mechanical grouppo in 2013 wise?"

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=112066&start=60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FWIW
My rides:
2006 Look 555 Ultegra
2006 Felt B2 Dura Ace
2013 Cannondale Evo HiMod Dura Ace di2

SpeshK

by SpeshK

Sam wrote:I think that some weight claim might be with skewers included.

The numbers I posted were without skewers. Straight out of the box.

Ghost234

by Ghost234

They make top notch stuff. No argument here.

They've never really been successful with carbon in their bike line but it seems to me more of a case of them never embracing the material. They sure can work the heck out of alloys, though.

Who knows what is in development.

They did make a carbon crank for a number of years, but it never really caught on.

The alloy stuff might be a little heavier, but the build quality of it is absolutely absurd. It is incredible what they are able to do with alloy. If anything I forsee a good amount of weight loss occuring with the Di2 shortly as the shifters have a lot of room to drop significant amoiunts of weight.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

And let's keep in mind that Shimano's material expertise is in aluminum forging. They have incredible capabilities in that realm. They feel that there are many components, such as cranks, that they can make better in aluminum than could be done in carbon. Shimano does a lot with carbon in their fishing and golf divisions, so they do have some expertise should they wish to use it. They simply feel that they can do many things better with aluminum.

It could be that in many cases, due to their technical abilities, Shimano can do things in aluminum that other companies cannot and those other companies have to use carbon in order to achieve a final design with attributes that Shimano can achieve with aluminum.

KWalker

by KWalker

Has Shimano ever needed to use a lot of carbon? Not really. Their cranks are ridiculously stiff, rings shift really well, they're light enough to be considered decent amongst OEM offerings, and quite simply they last. Shimano doesn't benefit from changing from this philosophy and it hasn't really seemed to help Sram. Campy cranks aren't super light either and lets be honest, the last gen of alloy 10sp cranks will always be their prettiest modern cranks.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Also, the sheer volume of production that Shimano has to supply lends itself to forging with metals. carbon work, especially truly upper end stuff, still involves a lot of hand labor. The auto and aero industries are working hard to develop cost effective, machine manufactured methods of construction, hopefully some of those methods will apply to bike parts too.

atxfireman

by atxfireman

Last week my LBS gave me an ETA date of Feb 21 for a 9070 group I purchased back in December. It's Feb 22, and still no 9070 group. No new ETA either. I wouldn't believe it anyhow. I'm fairly certain I'll have it by August, but who knows. What's with Shimano? They have really dropped the ball with the release of this group.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dvincere

by dvincere

The aero industry is investing in automating the carbon fiber layup process because the tiniest imperfections (trapping little bubbles inside for example) can cause a lot of structural problems. Neither cost nor scale are motivating much of their investigations and the processes don't actually lend themselves to be of much help or relevance in the cycling industry. I can't speak as to what the auto industry is researching but I can say with authority what the aerospace industry is doing won't be of a help anytime soon in this regard.

I for one applaud Shimano's approach. Their reliability is amazing and they are being extremely competitive at all relevant performance markers. As an added bonus, their materials do a lot less damage to our planet. I hope they continue.