Dura Ace 9000 - ETA late 2012/early 2013

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BobSantini

by BobSantini

jmilliron wrote:I disliked the 7900 crank the day it came out and still strongly dislike it. Think this looks better.

Me too. This one is still not quite right though in the fine modelling, but I think I like it.

"Form follows function" only goes so far. A lot of the functional modelling is always somewhat arbitrary. The designer makes choices that take both pragmatic function and aesthetics into account. A corollary of "Form follows function" might be "Aesthetics must not interfere with function" rather than "Function defines everything" unless of course you are pragmatic about aesthetics and include it under "function". However you can't do aesthetics like engineering with formulas and numbers simply because the results of any such programatic procedure will always be contestable unlike engineering where the test is ongoing structural integrity. The test for aesthetic performance is in the market place and then it's just one of a bunch of attributes. The upshot of all that is aesthetic mediocrity or inoffensiveness is valued just as highly as good aesthetics and is easier to do. Another thing to remember is that a component like a crankset is not a stand alone bit of sculpture. It has to look at home on a wide range of bikes so there is value in understatement. JMO.
r o y g b i v

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wingnut

by Wingnut

NGMN wrote:I'm guessing shimano has research to back it up.

Does anyone remember "Biopace"? :)

Gazelleer

by Gazelleer

I completely agree with you BobSantini. I also like the idea of the four arm crank with optimized spider arm locations. Especially if it will accept rings smaller than 38t, eliminating the need for a special 'compact' crankset. But it is with what you call the 'fine modelling' that they mess up lately. In this case with the sweep on the rear derailleur and the indentation in the crank arm. Similarly, 7900 could have been a nice groupset if they hadn't gone for the silly black and chrome colour theme. I am therefore very curious what they come up with for 9000, colourwise. I am not too optimistic though, as the sweeps indicate another two-tone...
Last edited by Gazelleer on Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

jmilliron wrote:I disliked the 7900 crank the day it came out and still strongly dislike it. Think this looks better.

I am with you there. 7900 crank was a definite step up from 7800 in function terms, but two steps down in aesthetic terms. That two tone look killed it.

eric01

by eric01

Some similarities with current gen XTR. Not just the 4 arms -- but look at the shaping on the arms.

XTR looks quite sharp IMHO. Would be nice if final 9000 looks similar

Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

Dustin

by Dustin

God damn that D/A crank is nasty.

anhk

by anhk

http://sankei.jp.msn.com/sports/news/12 ... 025-n1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
New DuraAce release version? debut at Japan pro tour.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

anhk wrote:http://sankei.jp.msn.com/sports/news/120421/oth12042123210025-n1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
New DuraAce release version? debut at Japan pro tour.

look at the shifter photo- again you can see a blurry BB30 CRANK!

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Interesting...
Attachments
oth12042123210025-p3.jpg

jasjas

by jasjas

....that is just soooooo ugly :cry:

solarider

by solarider

That looks really good, and very close to (if not) production quality. Personally, I like the finish.

I am currently waiting on my Super Record EPS, but unless Camapgnolo pull their finger out and deliver it, 11 speed Di2 might beat them to it, and clinch my order, assuming Di2 is at the same state of progress.

Not much clearance on those brakes though.

Not sure about the BB30 spot. Still might be running an adapter.

Any firm news on rear spacing now that it is out there "in the flesh"? 130mm or 135mm?

DMF

by DMF

I quite like it! Okey, the aestethics are really alien and waaaay out there! But I like what it is, it's pushing the envelope for our sport, knowing very well that doing so is a great compromise in aestethics! That's a brave move from Shimano, and hopefully technically beneficial for us users... And let's face it, it can't all be square taper 130BCD non-oversize everything forever even if slim and symetrical lines are nice to look at...

It's a huge leap forward, that's what it is - and I applaud it...

Phill P

by Phill P

what is the deal with the brakes? Seems to be joints and large pivot points in strange locations. Strikes me Sram aren't the only ones coming out with something different in the linkage layout of their brakes.
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

Doolop

by Doolop

Phill P wrote:what is the deal with the brakes? Seems to be joints and large pivot points in strange locations. Strikes me Sram aren't the only ones coming out with something different in the linkage layout of their brakes.

They are hollow forged, so they just look a little different. Seems to still be dual pivot.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djm

by djm

Hated the 9000 crank at first... now I'm starting to like it..!