Dura Ace 9000 - ETA late 2012/early 2013

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Grill

by Grill

Anybody had a chance to try out the new C50 clincher? Waiting on reviews before I decide on it over a Hed Jet...

deek

by deek

skinnywellfed wrote:It was discussed that the f. derailleur uses a 'stabilizing screw / plate' to help hold it steady and fine tune the derailleur.

Can this feature be found on BOTH the braze on and clamp style front derailleurs?

I can't find any pictures of the clamp on derailleurs, but I would assume that it wouldn't have it. The screw primarily is there to make the system stiffer which the clamp also accomplishes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SvenNijs

by SvenNijs

skinnywellfed wrote:So has anyone made an attempt to replicate what Wayne Stetina did as described here by L. Zinn?

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/07/ ... now_228686" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Running Dura Ace 9000;
shifters
f. & r. derailleurs
chain

all mated to a (10) speed Shimano cassette? I just can't bring myself to hand over the cash for a super expensive D-Ace 9000 cassette with Ti cogs that will wear out in half a season. I went down that road with a 7900 Ti cassette. They aren't worth the money (for me).

I want to try and run D- Ace 9000 mated to a (10) speed cassette. When the Ultegra level (11) spd cassettes become available I will then buy (11) spd cassettes.

Maybe check this build thread? viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108205&start=15#p925553" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

skinnywellfed

by skinnywellfed

Thanks Sven,
the O.P. in that Thread mentions what I'm proposing. Sounds as if he thought about it and never tried it. I'll find out.

I swear I just don't want to buy a $200 + consumable component.

12x23

by 12x23

skinnywellfed wrote:Thanks Sven,
the O.P. in that Thread mentions what I'm proposing. Sounds as if he thought about it and never tried it. I'll find out.

I swear I just don't want to buy a $200 + consumable component.

Totally agree with that. I'll probably hold out until Ultegra is available so I can use the cassette for every day.

skinnywellfed

by skinnywellfed

rei14 wrote:Update: I just installed the 9000 chain... it works a little better than the 6700 chain with the 6600 cassette. I'm able to get it to go from 12,13, it skips 14, 15~27t. With some tweaking I got it to go from 12~17t, skips 19, 21~27t. I decided to lose the 14t instead.
I also picked up the 9000 front derail (since it was on sale). Have to say... its easier to shift than my 7800 fd/9000 shifter combo.
Hope, my experimentation helps anyone who is trying to get their 10 speed gear working with the 9000 shifters.

I have to thank guys like you who are willing to experiment like this, experiment and post about it. Don't let your buddies unwillingness slow ya down. Burglarize them, snatch the components and then take them back before sun up.

So your 9000 right shifter, mated to a (10) spd r. derailleur, mated to a (10) speed cassette never really got dialed it.

Questions;
what is the "latest" configuration you're running?

is your 9000 f. der. a braze on or clamp style?
Last edited by skinnywellfed on Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

rei14

by rei14

the right shifter has a different pull because of the spacing on 11 speed cassette is different than 10 speed. My setup is probably going to stay this way until the ice grey ultegra 11 speed groupo gets release or I get a great deal on a DA 9000 RD. I have no intention on getting the 9000 crankset since I think its kinda ugly (personal preference).

current configuration is:
DA 9000 shifters,FD (Braze on), chain
7900 RD and Crank
6600 12-27 cassette
6700 brakes

skinnywellfed

by skinnywellfed

Thanks for the info.

Does your braze on 9000 f. der have that stabilizing screw that some have mentioned?

As far as cable pull goes for the right side shifter, it can get a little more complex that just comparing the spacing on the cassettes, (10) vs (11) spd for example.

As cassettes went from 8, to 9 to 10 speeds Shimano kept the r. der. design completely unchanged.
the parallelogram was never changed for ea new generation of r. der.
the distance from the derailleur pivot (hinge) to the cable anchor bolt never changed for ea new generation
With all that remaining constant, Shimano simply changed the amount of cable being pulled by each new generation of right side shifter. The (9) speed shifter pulls a little less cable than the (8) spd shifter to achieve the shifts for the (9) spd cassette and so on. And of course it has 'another click'.

The other way to make these changes is to leave the amount of cable pull unchanged and then modify the r. derailleur.
So the (11)spd 9000 right side shifter can have the exact same amount of cable pull as the (10)spd 7900 right side shifter.
The 9000 r. der. certainly 'looks' like a complete re-design when compared to all those that came before it.

And shifting changes can be achieved by modifying BOTH, cable pull and r. der design.

I'm curious which path Shimano has taken.

rei14

by rei14

Not sure what you mean by stabilizing screw.... are you talking about the support bolt and plate (Y5NF98030)? When i setup the 9000 fd... i've only used the limit screws, clamp bolt and cable fixing bolt.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 805687.pdf

Gazelleer

by Gazelleer

I think he means number 8, the support bolt (& plate)

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

The braze on derailleurs definitely have the support screw. It is mounted further back than the ones on duraace di2.

skinnywellfed

by skinnywellfed

Gazelleer wrote:I think he means number 8, the support bolt (& plate)

That's the one.............thanks. I ordered the clamp style f. dr.

skinnywellfed

by skinnywellfed

thisisatest wrote:The braze on derailleurs definitely have the support screw. It is mounted further back than the ones on duraace di2.

Thanks.

You and a few others have posted about an aftermarket 'quick link' to join the 9000 chain (not use the Shimano pin).

Seems there was still some research to be done?

Has anyone discovered that one brand of link is THE BEST to use?

upside

by upside

I just installed the KMC 11 speed link. Unfortunately I am in New Hampshire and a bit cold and snowy, but hope to get out tomorrow. The chain went together as the 10 speeds went together, nice and solid. I don't see any issues.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bruno2000

by bruno2000

I have a KMC 11spd link on a Dura-Ace 11spd chain and it work fine.
Anyone has a complete manual for the DI2 11spd build up?