HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lightest cassette
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:27 am 

lee16 wrote:
artray wrote:
.... sram red cassette because I felt like being sensible for a while..
''

I just watched Competitive cyclist's review of Sram Red on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1ApWTgrL9o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is the Sram red cassette really made out of aluminum?

what i always have heard, it´s made in steel

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:27 am 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:20 pm 

The new (2012?) version is like the XX cassette with a hollow steel 'block' and a pressed on aluminum large cog.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:56 pm 

Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed
The video pertained to the old Red, and the CC dude was just flat out wrong in the statement about being made of aluminum. But it is good to know that he likes all things ceramic.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:14 pm 

Seeing as red cassettes are mostly machined out of a bock of steel, I'm surprised they don't offer a aluminum or Ti version. It would pretty much just be a case of putting in a block of metal and pressing start on the CNC. Maybe Al would crack but I would think Ti would be fine.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:01 pm 
in the industry

styrrell wrote:
Seeing as red cassettes are mostly machined out of a bock of steel, I'm surprised they don't offer a aluminum or Ti version. It would pretty much just be a case of putting in a block of metal and pressing start on the CNC. Maybe Al would crack but I would think Ti would be fine.

Not exactly same thing..

If it´s only swapping material , SRAM would done it ages ago, 6al4v titanium has totally different properties than 4130 crmo and much much more expensive, it would cost at least 500-600 usd, who will buy that?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:08 pm 

styrrell wrote:

but as a big brand, as shimano, campagnolo and sram, durability is more important then weight, considering that they are selling to a broad public, it has to work for everybody and for a long time, thats why we probably don´t se a one in just aluminum. A Ti one would be more understandable, but at the same time, it would cost even more (Red is pricy as it is) and would probably just save some grams (it would´t be half the weight or anything like that)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:09 am 

And therefore appeal to a select few willing to pay the price differential (AKA weenies!).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:58 pm 

+1 on the Red cassette. It is both light and durable. A bit loud for some, though. Try it on the Hed 9, that'll keep you awake!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:51 pm 

After some more miles on my Dura-Ace 7800 cassette from an Ultegra,
I have to say the DA is noticeably better & smoother and in my opinion,
worth the extra coin. Weight difference is only about 38g. I managed to get
mine brand new for just $9. over what a replacement 6600 cassette would've been.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:13 pm 

Mattias Hellöre wrote:
styrrell wrote:

Not exactly same thing..

If it´s only swapping material , SRAM would done it ages ago, 6al4v titanium has totally different properties than 4130 crmo and much much more expensive, it would cost at least 500-600 usd, who will buy that?

people who buy Super Record 11sp cassettes (~500)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:07 am 
in the industry

mjduct wrote:
Mattias Hellöre wrote:
styrrell wrote:

Not exactly same thing..

SR cassettes are from separate cogs that are riveted together, these cogs are very cheap to produce, which a solid block of 6-4 ti isn´t, I may be wrong in my price assumptions about 500-600 usd, it could be higher due to increased tool wear as Ti isn´t friendly to the end mills, Cr-Mo is far much easier to work on.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:41 am 

jmartpr wrote:
The KCNC full Ti are not available in Campy format.....not yet.

Any idea when the campy compatible versions would be released?

This year, I hope...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:37 pm 

Mattias Hellöre wrote:
mjduct wrote:
Mattias Hellöre wrote:
styrrell wrote:

Not exactly same thing..

SR cassettes are from separate cogs that are riveted together, these cogs are very cheap to produce, which a solid block of 6-4 ti isn´t, I may be wrong in my price assumptions about 500-600 usd, it could be higher due to increased tool wear as Ti isn´t friendly to the end mills, Cr-Mo is far much easier to work on.

I wasn't talking about the manufacturing process, I was just responding to the question of who would pay that much for cassette...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:01 pm 

I don't recall if I posted this hear before, but...I had a recon alloy cassette, very light. Kind of noisy due to the alloy design and machining.

With that said, be careful with these things. The tolerances are so tight and machining so critical to proper smooth operation, that some companies are hit/miss.

Recon is one of those. Mine, nobody could setup and get it to shift properly. I never had to take my bike to the LBS, but I was stumped. A couple of guys at the shop looked at it, and were determined to get it working just to prove their prowess as mechanics...NOPE. Nobody could get this thing to shift/setup properly.

We put a DuraAce cassette on the wheel, within a minute, working great. I normally use DuraAce cassettes anyway, but wanted to be a "weight-weenie"..what a phail that was and waste of time/money.

I contacted the company that sold me the cassette, told them the situation and asked for a refund. Their response "we get that complaint about 50% of the time with that cassette"?!?!?!

Okey dokey! Thanks for looking out bros! Sent it back, got a refund and went back with my "heavy" DuraAce cassettes that actually work with my SRAM Red setup.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:04 pm 
Shop Owner

Copperband wrote:
jmartpr wrote:
The KCNC full Ti are not available in Campy format.....not yet.

Any idea when the campy compatible versions would be released?

This year, I hope...

We sent a request for those recently but they are probably seeing if more distributors will jump in so they can justify the production.
I really hope they do as I only ride campy on my bikes and the experience witht he Shimano/SRA< ones has been very good.

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:04 pm 

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next