Lightest cassette

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Marzz

by Marzz

I ran one of them KCNC jobs for 1 ride after I got it cheap from a mate.
I couldn't it get it to shift right no matter how much adjustment was made, and from reading on the forums, this was apparently the norm.
Such a shame as it was feather light, and looked awesome too.
In the end I went back to an Ultegra cluster which is heavier, but cheaper, bullet proof-ish, and does the job.
S-Works Venge

konky

by konky

Marzz wrote:I ran one of them KCNC jobs for 1 ride after I got it cheap from a mate.
I couldn't it get it to shift right no matter how much adjustment was made, and from reading on the forums, this was apparently the norm.
In the end I went back to an Ultegra cluster which is heavier, but cheaper, bullet proof-ish, and does the job.

Was that the full Ti model. Also maybe it was worn if second hand.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

theremery

by theremery

This one is the lightest without getting one modified by NINO.
Manufacturer is branded as TR but it looks like a recon to me.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Plus 5 grams for a lock ring. Which brings it up to 88g.

theremery

by theremery

Lockrings aren't all 5g. Though they are close, The SRP ones I just weighed are 4.2+4.6g and given I have them to go on the beater....the other ones will be lighter. I think the TR one may have been 3.8 ish (or maybe 3.5??) I can dig it out tomorrow and weigh it on scale if you need proof. Basically, however, the question was asked "what is the lightest cassette?" To my knowledge, it is the TR versions (unmodified, that is).....total of 85.Xg. Possibly within the variance range for the recons...but as I said, the question was asked.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!

joegem5

by joegem5

Ultra-lightweight and longterm reliability usually don't go hand in hand. Recon seems to be the lightest around.

theremery

by theremery

Indeed, Joegem. These types are raceday-only (unless you are made of $$) though I did have a recon last about 3000km, I believe that this is unusual and high hundreds ->1500 is more usual (especially if there is harsh weather/grit etc)

theremery

by theremery

I dug out the lockring that came with the TR. 4.43g. 86.55g including the lockring. I had a good look at the Recon vs the TR....the only difference I can pick is the coating/finish.

Marzz

by Marzz

konky wrote:
Marzz wrote:I ran one of them KCNC jobs for 1 ride after I got it cheap from a mate.

Was that the full Ti model. Also maybe it was worn if second hand.

Nah, it was practically new. He sold it to me cos he couldn't get it to shift properly, so I bough it thinking I could rectify the problem, and I couldn't.
S-Works Venge

xrs2

by xrs2

Since this is the "lightest cassette" thread, what about Campagnolo?

I'm looking for a second cassette for my tubular wheels, I'm getting really tired of switching out my cassette weekly. Looking for something that weighs no more than Super Record, is reasonably durable, but (preferably) cheaper.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

as long as you're running 10spd, and as long as your cassette is matching the freehub of your wheels, you can run shimano/sram/campagnolo/whatever.
10spd cassettes are spaced the same. :thumbup:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

xrs2

by xrs2

Sorry should have specified 11 speed...

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

11spd? C'est dommage.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

theremery

by theremery

Hmmmm you are after a light, cheap and durable cassette? Oxymoron, really. You can have light OR cheap and durable. Campag super record is pretty light so to go as light and keep the cost down (ish) would possibly be something like the KCNC Al/Sc/Ti hybrids (do they make 11s?). They have mixed results for durability. How big are you? Are you "gear friendly"? do you want to use it in bad weather? Do you "power-climb"?/ Sprint Like CAV?
All these things have a bearing on what you could use.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jooo

by jooo

@Marzz - I doubt you had the new KCNC, it's only recently been available. The older model which is probably what you had is completely different.

prendrefeu wrote:10spd cassettes are spaced the same.

Nope
- Campagnolo: 4.12mm c2c
- Shimano: 3.95mm c2c