HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:51 pm 

So I might have to sell me Enve 45's, which I absolutely love, due to bill$ and was thinking of replacing them with a pair of Easton EC90 sl's (clinchers) for I can get a pair at half the cost. I wanted to reach out and get some feedback from anyone has ridden them...

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:15 pm 

Watching the thread as well.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black

2013 Cannondale EVO Hi mod DA 9000

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:15 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:23 pm 

I saw a pair warp at the brake tracks after one ride this autumn... I had checked them upon building the bike the day before, and they were fine. Both front & rear went in one ride - the weather was perfect and we were riding not racing, so for the life of me I can't think of what did it.

The rider said he'd just gotten those as a replacement from a previous pair that warped, and had experienced problems with the rear hub of a pair before that.

Sorry that I don't have a better experience to share.

For what it's worth, EE brakes & Swiss stop yellow pads were his set-up, and it was certainly hilly terrain (Lombardia).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:50 pm 

I own a pair of Easton EC90SL's, 38mm clinchers! Before I purchased these I had only ridden low-medium profile aluminium rims, so I cannot compare them to other carbon rims. I took them with me to the French Alps and was terrified the first few hairpins on a descent. In comparison to aluminium wheels it felt like I hardly had any brakes, but there are loads of people who have zero issues with braking on carbon wheels, so it is probably my problem. I use them with the yellow SwissStop-pads by the way.

I have mixed feelings about these wheels. I love the look, bought a pair of Neutron Ultra's after the Eastons and that was quite disappointing from the fashion-POV. After a year of moderate use the rear wheel cracked and got replaced under warranty. Unfortunately this took a couple of months and they changed the decals in the mean time (Easton logos now bigger) so I now have two different looking wheels. The wheels do feel stiff, but I am a lightweight, weighing only some 62 kilo's, so I don't know how they feel for a heavier rider. I loved descending the Col d'Ornon. For some reason other wheels sometimes shimmy a bit when entering a corner at relatively high speed, but not with these.

I am not really impressed with the hubs which feel to seem a little sluggish compared to Campagnolo hubs. Also, the rim-diameter is very small compared to Campagnolos (which are so insane I am now selling the Neutron Ultra's), so tire fitting is so easy it sometimes scares me. I can easily remove the outer tire without the help of levers.

So, all in all, I love the way they make my bike look but the wheels haven't blown me away. I am probably going to sell these and order a true lightweight handbuilt aluminium set, but that also has a lot to do with my inability to ride the Eastons in foul weather (zero breaking) or in the mountains (not enough braking). That basically means I have these lying around for flat training rides and they're too expensive for that. And changing the wheels and brake pads everytime rain is expected is too much of a hassle for me.

If I can be of any more assistance please let me know!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:20 pm 

I appreciate the honest feedback, I almost bought a set yesterday, but decided to check threads first. To the OP, I appreciate you putthing this up to the group

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black

2013 Cannondale EVO Hi mod DA 9000

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:58 pm 
Resident Pro

hubs, round spokes for such a high priced wheelset and braking in rain suck...
the rims cannot be destroyed though, which make them cool for dry cyclocross races(and for winning the tour if you don't have to fix your bikes by yourself 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:07 pm 

how about there thermatec, was it new for 2011? just asking because anyone know if it makes any difference in braking?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:49 pm 

I had the tubular versions. Kept wanting to like them, but preload cups always came loose; literally EVERY single ride. Did one rain ride and the bearing were done, had to replace. However, the did brake exceptionally well with swiss stop yellows.

I would personally look into finding a set of Bontrager xxx lite carbon clinchers.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:27 pm 

I have to say that I was very happy with mine until breaking surface buckled on a very short descent (not a lot of breaking). That was a 2010 model. Wheel was replaced by easton without any problem, but that kind of makes me wonder when the new wheel will go.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:43 pm 

I don't get it. Why are people who are worrying about finances buying carbon clinchers? With the exception of maybe a combination of the latest stuff from Zipp, a small rider, and flat terrain, why would anyone buy carbon clinchers. It is just asking for trouble. How much slower and heavier is a good set of alloy clinchers? Actually I can answer that question: almost not at all. Not worth the hassle or danger for something that looks cool. Rant over.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:53 pm 

I've put a several thousand miles on my 2010 EC90 SL clinchers so far and love them. No problems in crosswinds and they brake fine in the dry with the included SwissStop yellows, the Thermatec braking surface seems to work well and I've never had overheating issues. After reading some of the other reviews I was a little paranoid about descents, but I think the concerns are overblown.

Only downside is that despite the ceramic bearings the hubs don't roll as well as my DA C24s.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:06 am 

simon wrote:
the rims cannot be destroyed though

I destroyed my rear rim and I have no clue when or where. And I weigh next to nothing! Although my rims never melted, there are numerous negative reviews on http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/wheel ... 88crx.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Shouldn't be posting this though as I will be trying to sell my pair in the next couple of months to generate some cash for that set of handbuilts :oops:

I forgot to mention btw that the wheels are extremely comfortable. That's a plus!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:51 am 

JensW wrote:
how about there thermatec, was it new for 2011? just asking because anyone know if it makes any difference in braking?

I know that our guy was riding a new pair with the Thermatec brake track.

All in all (even having personally been sponsored by Reynolds for 3 seasons), I have to agree with Mr.Gib, as I don't think that Carbon Clinchers are a good idea for anyone who might be riding in poor weather or hilly terrain - even if some people have had success in these areas, there are far too many tales of the opposite to tip the risk/benefit balance.

I recommended that our guy replace his with a pair of DA C35 clinchers.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:40 am 

I have no idea what was happening here...sold them!

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:40 am