Aero base bar with rise instead of drop

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jever98

by jever98

Does anybody know an aero base bar that provides rise instead of drop? I need to fit a frame with a low handlebar clamp.

Thanks
Jever
----
No longer in the industry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ldamelio

by ldamelio

Do you mean low stem ? If it's angled down from parallel with the top tube, flip the stem. If not, get a new stem that works for you. Have you been fitted for this bike or is it a used purchase with not enough steerer for your height or position ? Another alternative is a relatively tall stack of spacers under your aerobars to put them in a good position even though the base bar is low. This would do it for flat, straightish TTs where you would rarely use the base bar. Position means everything in TT/tri and if it doesn't fit well, you're gaining drag and throwing away much more time than you're gaining just by the shaping of the frame. Long answer to a short question, but things to think about.

jever98

by jever98

ldamelio wrote:Do you mean low stem ? If it's angled down from parallel with the top tube, flip the stem. If not, get a new stem that works for you. Have you been fitted for this bike or is it a used purchase with not enough steerer for your height or position ? Another alternative is a relatively tall stack of spacers under your aerobars to put them in a good position even though the base bar is low. This would do it for flat, straightish TTs where you would rarely use the base bar. Position means everything in TT/tri and if it doesn't fit well, you're gaining drag and throwing away much more time than you're gaining just by the shaping of the frame. Long answer to a short question, but things to think about.

Yeah I know. I've been riding a TT bike for a while and have my position dialed more or less (have never done wind tunnel testing though). I'm considering a frame with an integrated front end where I don't have the chance to work with a flipped stem or spacers.Structurally it seems equivalent to me to use spacers or to use a bar with rise.

Cheers
Jever
----

jsinclair

by jsinclair

could you not use something like the drop version of the zipp bar upside down? i think there is a profile design one that doesn't have the cable exits on the bottom.

jever98

by jever98

Thanks for the idea, I was thinking about the same thing. The Profile Design Svet seems to be the best bet for the moment: Image

- since it has straight grips.

I was also wondering what a Missile Evo would look like upside down :)
----