Soul CA 5.0 Wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

triplep

by triplep

My wife has been riding them for training wheels for about a year now. The only issues that I have had with them is the freehub is not sealed all that well. So after riding a fair amount in the rain, I had to pull off the freehub and relube it because the pawls were sticking. Aside from that, she has had no complaints. Although she is not very hard on wheels being only 120 pounds.

bendix

by bendix

I have a vinterbike for rainy days so unless its wet on raceday they ar not gonna see water, did you wheels hold wheigt ?? and do they roll whel. i am 83 kilo or about 195 pound

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

juzme

by juzme

Got the Soul CA 5.0 2 months back... Weighed them and the pair weighed in at 1650gm.

However, only ridden 5 times with them.
Wheels are stiff and doesn't flex. That's based on my friend's observation who was riding right behind, when I rode off saddle on a hard gear up a slope.

The CA 5.0 wheels can maintain good speed on the flat... It's ok to climb with it but will definitely feel the drag on slope with gradient above 7%.

As for crosswind, only ridden once with strong cross-wind... Didn't feel the cross-wind unsettling me on the bike...

rugger

by rugger

Got my wheels today....mounted and ready for a test ride this weekend...will post initial thoughts..

Buffalo

by Buffalo

just as I was thinking I might get to test ride mine the other day it dumped about foot of snow back on us. oh well...

joshvoulters

by joshvoulters

Any update?

Give me an excuse to buy a set!

rugger

by rugger

Have been on 3 - 40 km rides. Have to say I like the wheels so far. Stiff, the hubs are quite, spin up nice, no real feeling they are unstable in crosswinds. All in all I'm pretty happy. Unfortunately my current condition after winter doesnt do the wheels justice :-) Gotta put a few more KM's before I can give a true review...I run out of legs before I run out of wheel :-(

On a side note, as most others say the customer support, and contact with Soul bikes was second to none! Sean took the time to answer all my questions and pointed me to the wheel set that best suited my needs....i can strongly recommend doing business with them. Shipping took no time at all and i cleared customs with no problems at all either.

Buffalo

by Buffalo

Went on my first ride today with the CA5.0s. My experience with road wheels is the shimano r500's that came with my cervelo P2SL and an older set of Zipp404's with an Ultegra rear hub and an unknown front hub. The CA5.0s feel very good. The r500s suck so its not fair to compare, but compared to the zipps I like these wheels better, they spin up faster and feel stiffer. The zipps make that cool sound though when I'm really cranking it, I didn't notice with these so much. As a climber I found these gave me no trouble climbing +10%, and they were fun descending(also felt nice having aluminum brake track;).
Untitled by dissemination47, on Flickr
I rode downtown and thought "hey let's stop at the LBS to get this fork cut"
10 minutes later and I'm on this because the owner cut my fork too short.
Untitled by dissemination47, on Flickr
So now I'm getting a new fork.
You know I very much like the ride of my steel Cervelo than the carbon Tarmac. I've always struggled measuring stiffness in one frame to the next but I didn't notice any difference between the two...

Anyway the wheels are good.

dummey

by dummey

Can anybody comment on the internal nipples and how much of a pain they are for truing?

juzme

by juzme

dummey wrote:Can anybody comment on the internal nipples and how much of a pain they are for truing?

It'll be indeed more troublesome to true as the tyre, tube and rimtape have to be removed. But then it's the same with some carbon tubular wheels..

ODT

by ODT

Am I right that the Carbon-Alu wheels are no longer available? At least not on the 2012 site

Grasschopper

by Grasschopper

ODT wrote:Am I right that the Carbon-Alu wheels are no longer available? At least not on the 2012 site

I would find that very hard to believe...last I communicated with Sean he said they were one of his best sellers and gave me some details on the next generation of the wheel.

Where are you seeing a 2012 site? I still get the one labeled 2009.

ODT

by ODT

My bad, I was referring to this one, the one you get when googling "soul wheels"

http://bikesoul.com/wheeldivision.html

I'll send an e-mail then. I want alu-carbon clinchers, it's just great to go to a race and not be bothered with changing brake pads, without knowing what the circuit is like. Most alu-carbons are heavy, and the Campa Bullets are hard to get a hold of for a decent prize

Dave67

by Dave67

For those have these wheels, how are the fairings? I know the HED fairing can be damaged by a roof rake strap. These are on the top of list.
Can any in the US let me know what would need to be pay for import tax.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Grasschopper

by Grasschopper

Dave67 wrote:For those have these wheels, how are the fairings? I know the HED fairing can be damaged by a roof rake strap. These are on the top of list.
Can any in the US let me know what would need to be pay for import tax.

I can't comment on the faring but I have purchased 2 sets of wheels from Sean and never had to pay any import duties.