Soul CA 5.0 Wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Buffalo

by Buffalo

mounted up

IMGP0474 by dissemination47, on Flickr
IMGP0478 by dissemination47, on Flickr
IMGP0477 by dissemination47, on Flickr

with the CA 5.0s the bike is still 6984g.

I think they look pretty good...ugh the brake track looks cloudy like that because I brought them in from the cold

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

d20rider

by d20rider

rugger wrote:If I understood Sean correct, he architects his own designs, owns his own moulds, etc.. so I think his wheels are custom and not the same as planet-x. Put in an order at the weekend for the CA5.0's ..let the waiting begin :-)

Yeah, sure looks like that to me. . .nope, this is most certainly not a Gigantex rim.
http://www.bikesoul.com/2009/index.php? ... &Itemid=18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also,
Same rim, Soul is pulling the old Mercury trick and saying "if I label it one mm larger than it actually is, then I can tell people it's my own mould".

I have no doubts the wheels will be solid and they are a good deal. . .but he's blowing a bit of smoke up your ass if he's claiming he designed these.

rugger

by rugger

Buffalo,

I see you have the trinity bottle cages on your C-dale.....whats the verdict on those?

soulbike
in the industry

by soulbike

Don't you just love company reps and their first posts? :lol: Buff, nice bike!

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I would buy those wheels if there was a ceramic version or something similar.....those brake tracks are way too blinging! :beerchug:

edit: May just be the flash??

Buffalo

by Buffalo

Thanks Sean!

Yeah, bright flash seems to be about the only thing my camera is good at

rugger

by rugger

Buffalo,

i see the trinity bottle cages on your bike as well? Whats the verdict?
I am considering to add a pair to my order.

Grasschopper

by Grasschopper

btompkins0112 wrote:I would buy those wheels if there was a ceramic version or something similar.....those brake tracks are way too blinging! :beerchug:

edit: May just be the flash??

Be patient.

iainsheppard

by iainsheppard

I havent used the CA5.0 rims but I own a set of C4.0's and they are amazing 1.39kg for the wheelset, spin up fast, hold speed well and a little aero. I mainly do hills with a bit of flats thrown in and they are a brilliant wheel, the pads that come with them are also good and Sean is a top bloke to deal with.

One downside to the rims is that the Pro Race 3 tyres are damn hard to fit, but I have moved to Ulteremo ZX's now that fit like a charm.

Dave67

by Dave67

Any update on this wheel set? Spring is getting close I need new wheels.

rugger

by rugger

Just got a PM from Sean that my build was done. Just waiting for them to ship and the snow to melt. I will post a review sometime this spring when the weather allows.

Broid

by Broid

For me I ended up with these from Boyd...

http://www.boydcycling.com/38mm-carbon-clinchers/

I'll post pictures when they come in...

Happy cycling on the Souls!

Brian

NovemberDave

by NovemberDave

soulbike wrote:Don't you just love company reps and their first posts? :lol: Buff, nice bike!

Wasn't us, if that's the implication.

It's often thought that we and Boyd and Williams use Gigantex rims, but none of us do.

davidalone

by davidalone

Disclaimer: I come from Singapore, where Sean is based. I know several pretty good local cyclists who have worked for/have had close associations with him.

A friend who knows sean personally tells me that professionally he is an architect. Sean's father is a professional mechanical engineer who studies and approves his designs for him. certainly he doesn't own any manufacturing capability, so he probably sends his design to some factory in china that would build for him.

While it is true that some of his stuff is sourced ( joytech hubs, kinlin rims), based on the new stuff I've seen coming out of his workshop ( theres an awesome Ti TT rig he's doing, as well as some newer versions of his wheels), I would not be surprised if he has seriously started designing his own stuff. serious wind tunnel testing etc would probably be out of the budget for a small outfit for him, but I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility that he's designing his own stuff. He certainly has the skills and capability to do so.

bendix

by bendix

Hey buffalo
Have you had a change to spin the ca 5,0 yet i my self is thorn betwen s4,0 or the ca 5,0 and your review count a lot.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com