HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rotor Q-Rings
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:54 pm 

i have one bike with the inner ring only. i like climbing with the Rotor ring. i cant put my finger on the exact benefits, but it feels better to me than round, marginally.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:58 pm 

I have posted about my experience before - but I thought I would post again.

When I first tried them years ago I was quite skeptical, and after using them for a few weeks couldn't really tell much. I was trying only a 40t inner ring. So I decided to try an experiment and I removed my 53t ring and put my round 39 on the outer spot. I then did some rides on the flats and hills switching between the 39 and 40 every few minutes. I found that the rotor ring had a very different feel compared with the round ring. I liked the change in muscle use that it seemed to provide. I was surprised it had as much of a change in feel while riding.

Now whether or not it really improved performance or reduces fatigue I have no idea. I have read, and heard from others, that as soon as your body adjusts to using the Rotor rings you see no improvements - the body just adjusts and power output is the same. That is part of the reason I like to have the round outer ring with the rotor inner ring on my race bike. I feel like it changes the muscle use during a ride or race - I can feel a slight difference and it seems to help me - I tend to get dropped climbing anyway and if I think it helps maybe it does???

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:58 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:16 pm 

I have no personal experience with the Q-rings, but I would think that if there exists any shape other than round that is more efficient in rotation, the motor industry would be among the first to adopt - and it would have been the norm in automobile motors and generators for many yearsby now...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:31 am 

I ahve been using q rings for 2 years now. I started using them I had read that they helped if you got lateral knee pain when riding by reducing shear force. All i can say is that whereas my knee would hurt after 40ks before I can ride 200k without (knee) pain now. They make keeping a higher cadence much easier, which may be a big part of this. I would never go back. It requires a lot more care in setting up the FD but it is definately worth it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:54 am 

I just installed the 3D+ crank and q rings. My LBS is telling me I need a K Edge chain deflector because the chain is going to come off a lot up front. Whats your take? Sounds like BS to me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:57 am 

It is more likely to come off if you shift down while hitting a bump for example but it is certainly not a frequent event if your derailleur is correctly set up

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:10 am 

Better safe then sorry. A chain catcher isn't that expensive and it takes only one time to really screw up your frame. I defiantly think you should listen to your LBS.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:24 am 

I haven't dropped the chain with Q-Rings, and for me they shift just as well as the stock Sram rings when dialed in correctly, but the chain catcher seems like a little insurance.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:30 am 

Disregard...I don't want to hijack OP's thread.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:30 am 

ray wrote:
I have no personal experience with the Q-rings, but I would think that if there exists any shape other than round that is more efficient in rotation, the motor industry would be among the first to adopt - and it would have been the norm in automobile motors and generators for many yearsby now...

Are motors and generators powered by human legs?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:11 pm 

thasle wrote:
ray wrote:

Are motors and generators powered by human legs?

Attached to the ends of two opposed rotating levers?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:23 am 

I agree wholely with ray. I am going to try 98 octane in my bidons now.

Seriously Ray - we are not engines, the q rings help us get over our muscular dead spot, we pull and push through the entire crank rotation whereas the piston in an engine has one explosion at top dead centre and carries the momentum through 2 full rotations (in a four stroke) until the next explosion. Does that sound like your pedal stroke?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:21 pm 

I had good experience with Q-Rings at first but ended up having one of my worst cycling seasons ever a few months down the road.

I had a lot of knee problems that showed up after a few months on Q-rings. I tried different positions as well and nothing really helped except taking them off.

The nice thing is that after trying these I've realized how much more important actual riding and training is over "upgrades" for my bike.

Maybe I'm a minority but they were a awful experience for me in the end.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:55 pm 

lqdedison, it is interesting to hear your experience as a number of people here have switched to Q-Rings specifically to help knee problems (myself included). Would you mind elaborating on what sort of problems you experienced with the switch to Q-Rings?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:11 am 

I'm driving now several weeks along, I personally find it very pleasant.
especially when i am riding uphill
I can recommend you.

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:11 am 

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next