Rotor Q-Rings

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stammer

by Stammer

My experience with Qring, it develops a knee pain for one of my knee which I never had before. I am professionally fitted and thus my position is perfect.

So here's what I noticed riding with Qring:

1. Hamstring and glutes muscle works harder than the usual place which is the quads (when using round ring)

2. Less fatigue especially if you train daily, you'll notice less soreness the next morning

3. I've been riding and training for years with round ring hence I couldn't help myself but to think that I am now using an untrained and weak muscles for my riding and training

4. Lower cadence than usual, and hence I suspect the lower HR claimed by Rotor and other users. Well, if you are a spinner you'll use your cardio more. I believe it is the same when I use the round ring and lower my cadence, my HR is lower.

5. No power increase, although a bit extra speed on the flat (due to the increase in ratio)

I like the faster recovery, but the knee pain and using a weaker muscle than what I've been training for made me switch back to the round ring. My knee is happy and I feel normal again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krackor

by Krackor

Stammer, which position did you use, and did you try other positions? I started mine off in position 3, now in position 2. I'm considering moving to 1. The difference in feeling is very noticeable when switching after a few weeks of acclimating to the previous position.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I agree. Started off with 3, then 3½ and i find 4 works best for me.

In OCP 3 and even 3½ i could feel it was to brute for me.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Stammer

by Stammer

Well I'm stuck with OCP3 as I'm using a BB30 compact. I think I will be more suitable with the OCP4 and wouldn't mind to give it a try once I can afford them again.

I don't think I can justify the costs of a new Qring and a new crank just to see if OCP4 will eliminates my knee pain or not, it's a very expensive testing!

Marin

by Marin

Stammer wrote: I am professionally fitted and thus my position is perfect.

I'm not sure if that's a universal truth :)

martinko

by martinko

Maybe this was answered before, but I would like to get some personal opinions.

Please, when I am riding 52/36 round chainrings, should I opt for Q-rings with the same ratio? Or rather go with 50/34, if it feels harder?

Thanks

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I rode 52/36 but bought 52/38. I was asking almost same question as you. According to Rotor we're supposed to use same rings.
If i were you, i had figured how i used the cassette. Do you often use 15-14-13-12-11? Go 52, if not, 50.
Or you use 52T ring and buy the Edco 14-25 cassette which is super linear in ratios.
http://www.carbonwheelsshop.com/edco-mo ... sette.html
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Stammer wrote:Well I'm stuck with OCP3 as I'm using a BB30 compact. I think I will be more suitable with the OCP4 and wouldn't mind to give it a try once I can afford them again.

I don't think I can justify the costs of a new Qring and a new crank just to see if OCP4 will eliminates my knee pain or not, it's a very expensive testing!

I totally get you. That is why it's best buying the 3D+ MAS, which give you 10 OCP settings!

I would probably not buy the crankset just to test. I would keep to round rings.

But to clear it out, to me it's a huge difference between OCP 3 and 4.

I think you had knee pain due to the torque was far to high for you at OCP 3.

Did you try to gear down using Rotor and OCP 3?
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

NiFTY

by NiFTY

For BB30 compact you can dremel off some of the ring until it fits easily. I am running non-OCP3 52/36 on my hollowgrams after some dremelling.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;