HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Rotor Q-Rings
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:27 pm 

Wookieopolis wrote:
lqdedison, it is interesting to hear your experience as a number of people here have switched to Q-Rings specifically to help knee problems (myself included). Would you mind elaborating on what sort of problems you experienced with the switch to Q-Rings?

Sure...

I had really sharp pains at the front of my right knee and occasionally behind the knee as well. I've been riding a for about 16 years and had knee pain only one other time when I first started riding.

It got to the point with the q-rings that after only an hour of riding I had to turn back and head home. I hadn't changed anything else on any of my bikes, only the Q-Rings. I took them off and then took about a four week break. I haven't had any problems since.

Before I took them off I tried floating cleats, different saddle heights, different cleat positions, different positions with the q-rings themselves, just about everything really. In the end I put everything back where it was and took the Q-Rings off as that was really the main change that I'd done this season.

I wish I knew what really started my problems but I'm pretty sure it was the Q-Rings.

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:27 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:56 am 

Ridea has it now :P

http://www.rideabikes.com/category/bike ... llipse.htm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:12 am 

Personally I use Osymetric but havent tried Rotor and from what I can tell the real benefit comes from the lack of "pulling" up on the back stroke from around 7-10 on the clock face. That pulling is where the knee pain bandit seems to make an appearance its the part of the stroke that oval chainrings try to minimize.

I personally feel Oysmetric does a good job with this and Rotor is more of a 1/2 solution that emphasizes the power zone but doesnt necessarily change the dead zone. So basically on a ring labeled 52T you push a 54 through the power and a 52 through the dead zone, where as Osymetric you push a 55T in the power zone and a 51T through the deadzone.

Since the deadzone is not minimized you simply use an easier gear which lowers the deadzone while the elipse raises the power through the powerzone....with Osymetric you can push a bigger gear because the deadzone has less effect on the power needed to complete the circle.

In my opinion the new QXL rings with their larger oval shape could be amazing but still might fall short of osymetric in terms of pure efficiency. The added ring quality + ramps/pins + adjustable angle might win out though

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5