Slammed stems...

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Post Reply
User avatar
Getter
Posts: 877
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:30 am
Location: So Cal

by Getter

ChamoisTime wrote:Gotta love seeing people with slammed stems riding with their hands on the tops while rolling along in a paceline on the flats. "I'm just relaxing right now". Right, and your arms are almost locked out even when you're giving it your all.... :roll:


I do see that from time to time. Guys that never use their drops since they can't go down that far.

The bar height should be set at the lowest comfortable position...which would be the drops.

by Weenie


User avatar
2ndgen
Posts: 617
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:18 pm

by 2ndgen

ChamoisTime wrote:Because its hilarious seeing them try to live an image rather than what's functional for their body.


Why is it hilarious?

:noidea:

User avatar
2ndgen
Posts: 617
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:18 pm

by 2ndgen

Question on degrees:

Will a 0 degree stem be at a 90 degree angle to the headtube
(meaning, pointing upwards once installed)
or will it be level with the ground?

Ypsylon
Posts: 1403
Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 6:25 pm

by Ypsylon

Perpendicular to the headtube.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

User avatar
2ndgen
Posts: 617
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:18 pm

by 2ndgen

Ypsylon wrote:Perpendicular to the headtube.


Thanks!

neeb
Posts: 370
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:19 pm

by neeb

If you want a level stem incidentally, which would be the best way to go if you still want to get lower on that frame, then you need a 17 degree one (your headtube is 73 degrees, 73+17 = 90). Most stems these days are only 6 or 8 degrees (so they still slope up a bit even when in the "down" position), but a few manufacturers make 17 degree ones, e.g. 3T:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B001KWIZN6/ref=dp_image?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&img=MAIN&color_name=x

User avatar
bura
Posts: 831
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:07 pm
Location: Civitatis Vaticanae

by bura

2ndgen wrote:Question on degrees:

Will a 0 degree stem be at a 90 degree angle to the headtube
(meaning, pointing upwards once installed)
or will it be level with the ground?



Geometries do differ but in general the 73 degree head tube angle is very common.If you have a head tube with a 73 degree angle then a -17 stem will level with the ground.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

User avatar
2ndgen
Posts: 617
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:18 pm

by 2ndgen

neeb wrote:If you want a level stem incidentally, which would be the best way to go if you still want to get lower on that frame, then you need a 17 degree one (your headtube is 73 degrees, 73+17 = 90). Most stems these days are only 6 or 8 degrees (so they still slope up a bit even when in the "down" position), but a few manufacturers make 17 degree ones, e.g. 3T:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B001KWIZN6/ref=dp_image?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&img=MAIN&color_name=x


bura wrote:Geometries do differ but in general the 73 degree head tube angle is very common.If you have a head tube with a 73 degree angle then a -17 stem will level with the ground.


Thank you very much.
That makes things much easier for me.
Yep, have a 73 degree head tube.
:)
Last edited by 2ndgen on Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Juanmoretime
Administrator
Posts: 7043
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:08 am
Location: Urbana, Illinois

by Juanmoretime

2ndgen wrote:Question on degrees:

Will a 0 degree stem be at a 90 degree angle to the headtube
(meaning, pointing upwards once installed)
or will it be level with the ground?


Yes and no. Everyone is assuming the head tube is 73 degrees but not all are.
RESIDENT GRUMPY OLD MAN.

neeb
Posts: 370
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:19 pm

by neeb

Juanmoretime wrote:Yes and no. Everyone is assuming the head tube is 73 degrees but not all are.

I was assuming it was 73 degrees because that's what it says on the geometry chart for a CAAD9 in size 56.. :wink:

User avatar
2ndgen
Posts: 617
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:18 pm

by 2ndgen

Juanmoretime wrote:
Yes and no. Everyone is assuming the head tube is 73 degrees but not all are.


Yeah...he got it Juan. :)

neeb wrote:
Juanmoretime wrote:Yes and no. Everyone is assuming the head tube is 73 degrees but not all are.

I was assuming it was 73 degrees because that's what it says on the geometry chart for a CAAD9 in size 56.. :wink:


You were spot on neeb. :thumbup:

User avatar
HammerTime2
Posts: 5422
Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 4:43 pm
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Juanmoretime wrote:
2ndgen wrote:Question on degrees:

Will a 0 degree stem be at a 90 degree angle to the headtube
(meaning, pointing upwards once installed)
or will it be level with the ground?


Yes and no. Everyone is assuming the head tube is 73 degrees but not all are.


Juanmoretime,

Yes and no. Yes it is true that not all head tubes are 73 degrees, and therefore a minus 17 degree stem may not result in the stem being level with the ground. However, a 0 degree stem will be at a 90 degree angle to the headtube regardless of the head tube angle, even though head tube angle will affect stem angle to the ground. 2ndgen's question was poorly stated.

User avatar
2ndgen
Posts: 617
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:18 pm

by 2ndgen

HammerTime2 wrote:
Juanmoretime,

Yes and no. Yes it is true that not all head tubes are 73 degrees, and therefore a minus 17 degree stem may not result in the stem being level with the ground. However, a 0 degree stem will be at a 90 degree angle to the headtube regardless of the head tube angle, even though head tube angle will affect stem angle to the ground. 2ndgen's question was poorly stated.


How so when that is exactly what I asked?
(Of course, based on the bike that is the topic of this thread.) :lol:

cornas
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:54 am

by cornas

ChamoisTime wrote:Gotta love seeing people with slammed stems riding with their hands on the tops while rolling along in a paceline on the flats. "I'm just relaxing right now". Right, and your arms are almost locked out even when you're giving it your all.... :roll:



Yeah. And I love it when I pass people in the sprint who are trying to get som power with their bar in their chest. Or, people trying to pull in the break away with their arms folded like a swiss army knife. Racing isn't about comfort, it's about power.

Though I must admit that you cannot judge ones comfort on the bike by just watching how he sit. You actually have to ask...

User avatar
2ndgen
Posts: 617
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:18 pm

by 2ndgen

cornas wrote:
ChamoisTime wrote:Gotta love seeing people with slammed stems riding with their hands on the tops while rolling along in a paceline on the flats. "I'm just relaxing right now". Right, and your arms are almost locked out even when you're giving it your all.... :roll:



Yeah. And I love it when I pass people in the sprint who are trying to get som power with their bar in their chest. Or, people trying to pull in the break away with their arms folded like a swiss army knife. Racing isn't about comfort, it's about power.

Though I must admit that you cannot judge ones comfort on the bike by just watching how he sit. You actually have to ask...


Why?

by Weenie


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post