Slammed stems...

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Post Reply
User avatar
2ndgen
Posts: 617
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:18 pm

by 2ndgen

Zitter wrote:http://www.canecreek.com/component-headsets?browse=Complete&name=40&product=40.IS42%20Short%20Cover%20Carbon#40.IS42" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Short Cover Carbon

didn't use the bearings, just top cap. they won't sell you just the cap


Totally forgot about your post Z. I ended up going with your set-up.
I just picked up an aluminum Cane Creek IS41 top assembly.
http://store.canecreek.com/products/pro ... 98.0?pp=8&

After doing a search of every possible option,
I knew I wasn't going to go with 5mm. 10mm would be my max. The IS41 is 9mm.
On top of that I'm going with a 2.5mm tapered spacer to tie it in better with the stem.
I was at the LBS today working it out with the mechanic. I tried a few variations before
they cut the fork. The 9mm top cover + 2.5mm tapered spacer was the ticket.

It'll be ready tomorrow. I'll have pics then.
Last edited by 2ndgen on Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

excremanwu
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:29 am

by excremanwu

dcl10 wrote:I use a custom top cap
Image


Nice

other choice
Image
low profile dust cover for Campy spec integrated headsets, 1.5mm stack height.

by Weenie


User avatar
2ndgen
Posts: 617
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:18 pm

by 2ndgen

Thanks to all who've contributed.
Here are the results of my choices.
:)

Before:
Image

After:
Image

Before:
Image

After:
Image
_____________________________________________________________

Image

Image

Image

Image

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart
Posts: 1986
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:00 pm
Location: Sydney, Aus.

by RichTheRoadie

Guymk wrote:A bike is going to be fastest if it fits the best. For some people slamming their stem will give them the best fit, for others it won't. for example i am 5' 9" and have a 34" inseam. On a bike with a top tube length that fits me, if i slammed my stem i could only ride for probably half an hour before my back gave out, and i am 18. I would rather be able to ride for 4-5 hours. I have maybe 3cm of spacers, and still have 9cm of drop, so i am still aero. There are diminishing returns with going lower. And Sacrificing comfort for looks is just silly.

This is the only post worth reading on this thread. You lot have *completely* the wrong focus here...

andyindo
Posts: 395
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 10:03 am

by andyindo

Rich-Ti wrote:
Guymk wrote:A bike is going to be fastest if it fits the best. For some people slamming their stem will give them the best fit, for others it won't. for example i am 5' 9" and have a 34" inseam. On a bike with a top tube length that fits me, if i slammed my stem i could only ride for probably half an hour before my back gave out, and i am 18. I would rather be able to ride for 4-5 hours. I have maybe 3cm of spacers, and still have 9cm of drop, so i am still aero. There are diminishing returns with going lower. And Sacrificing comfort for looks is just silly.

This is the only post worth reading on this thread. You lot have *completely* the wrong focus here...


Dont be ridiculous Rich! Slam that stem!

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart
Posts: 1986
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:00 pm
Location: Sydney, Aus.

by RichTheRoadie

andyindo wrote:Dont be ridiculous Rich! Slam that stem!

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for slammed stems - but ONLY if it actually works for you. Slamming a stem just to make your bike look good is just ridiculous. If I rode my usual 150-250km rides on a slammed stem I'd be a wreck now.

User avatar
2ndgen
Posts: 617
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:18 pm

by 2ndgen

Rich-Ti wrote:
andyindo wrote:Dont be ridiculous Rich! Slam that stem!

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for slammed stems - but ONLY if it actually works for you. Slamming a stem just to make your bike look good is just ridiculous. If I rode my usual 150-250km rides on a slammed stem I'd be a wreck now.


I agree. I'm a firm believer in "form following function". In my case, "it" works for me.

I'm a bit more flexible than the average person (especially people who aren't as active as I am and have been all my life).
I rode a mile home as from the LBS when I picked it up.As soon as I rolled out on it, it felt great. I found it felt better than it was before.
I can't wait to put some major miles on it. I'm actually more comfortable with the profile.

User avatar
2ndgen
Posts: 617
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:18 pm

by 2ndgen

Question:

For anyone who's gone with a similar drop...

I'm 5'9" and ride a 56cm frame. I'm very comfortable with the current set-up.
Now that I've dropped the stem 13.5mm, if I were to go with a 120mm stem instead
of the 110mm stem I'm using, would that make a significant difference in comfort?

User avatar
fa63
Posts: 2227
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:26 am
Location: Atlanta, GA, US

by fa63

Hard to say. With that said, why do you want to change it if you're very comfortable with the current setup?

neeb
Posts: 370
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:19 pm

by neeb

2ndgen wrote:Question:

For anyone who's gone with a similar drop...

I'm 5'9" and ride a 56cm frame. I'm very comfortable with the current set-up.
Now that I've dropped the stem 13.5mm, if I were to go with a 120mm stem instead
of the 110mm stem I'm using, would that make a significant difference in comfort?

As it happens I'm exactly the same height as you, but having just checked out the CAAD9 geometry charts, if I was buying one of those frames I'd get a 54. I'm not saying that the 56 is the wrong size for you (if you're looking at a 120cm stem on that frame you must have a longer upper body / arms than me), just that the reason you need to slam the stem is because of the frame geometry. I have my bars lower than that relative to the saddle, but because my lower body / upper body ratio is greater I'd probably have 1 - 2cm of spacers on a size 54 and still have the saddle 9cm above the bars.

As far as the longer stem goes, if you feel that you'd sometimes like to stretch out more then a longer stem would be more comfortable, but if you always feel that the hoods are just a bit of a stretch then you wouldn't. Simple as that!

<edit> P.S., if you DO feel that you could stretch more, then going longer instead of going lower is a good way to get more aero without losing power.

5 8 5
Posts: 1353
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:36 am
Location: UK

by 5 8 5

@2 ndgen
6 pages and then you didn't slam it :wink:

Get a cheap 120mm stem and try it out. What might feel good on the Turbo can be completely different on a 2 or 3 hr ride.

BTW any reason for removing the spacer above your stem?

ChamoisTime
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:37 am

by ChamoisTime

Gotta love seeing people with slammed stems riding with their hands on the tops while rolling along in a paceline on the flats. "I'm just relaxing right now". Right, and your arms are almost locked out even when you're giving it your all.... :roll:

User avatar
2ndgen
Posts: 617
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:18 pm

by 2ndgen

fa63 wrote:Hard to say. With that said, why do you want to change it if you're very comfortable with the current setup?


There's a particular stem that I'm interested in and it's only in 120mm.


5 8 5 wrote:@2 ndgen
6 pages and then you didn't slam it :wink:
Get a cheap 120mm stem and try it out. What might feel good on the Turbo can be completely different on a 2 or 3 hr ride.


Image

Yeah. I couldn't bring myself to doing it.
Ended up with what I did want after all.

Great idea on picking up a cheap stem and playing with it.

BTW any reason for removing the spacer above your stem?


Aesthetics. I just really like the look of the cap right on the stem's top.



neeb wrote:As far as the longer stem goes, if you feel that you'd sometimes like to stretch out more then a longer stem would be more comfortable, but if you always feel that the hoods are just a bit of a stretch then you wouldn't. Simple as that!

<edit> P.S., if you DO feel that you could stretch more, then going longer instead of going lower is a good way to get more aero without losing power.


Thanks. :thumbup:

User avatar
2ndgen
Posts: 617
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:18 pm

by 2ndgen

ChamoisTime wrote:Gotta love seeing people with slammed stems riding with their hands on the tops while rolling along in a paceline on the flats. "I'm just relaxing right now". Right, and your arms are almost locked out even when you're giving it your all.... :roll:


Why?

ChamoisTime
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:37 am

by ChamoisTime

Because its hilarious seeing them try to live an image rather than what's functional for their body.

by Weenie


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post