Slammed stems...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

ChamoisTime wrote:Because its hilarious seeing them try to live an image rather than what's functional for their body.

Why is it hilarious?

:noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

Question on degrees:

Will a 0 degree stem be at a 90 degree angle to the headtube
(meaning, pointing upwards once installed)
or will it be level with the ground?

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

Perpendicular to the headtube.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

Ypsylon wrote:Perpendicular to the headtube.

Thanks!

neeb

by neeb

If you want a level stem incidentally, which would be the best way to go if you still want to get lower on that frame, then you need a 17 degree one (your headtube is 73 degrees, 73+17 = 90). Most stems these days are only 6 or 8 degrees (so they still slope up a bit even when in the "down" position), but a few manufacturers make 17 degree ones, e.g. 3T:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B001KWIZN6/ref=dp_image?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&img=MAIN&color_name=x

bura

by bura

2ndgen wrote:Question on degrees:

Geometries do differ but in general the 73 degree head tube angle is very common.If you have a head tube with a 73 degree angle then a -17 stem will level with the ground.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

neeb wrote:If you want a level stem incidentally, which would be the best way to go if you still want to get lower on that frame, then you need a 17 degree one (your headtube is 73 degrees, 73+17 = 90). Most stems these days are only 6 or 8 degrees (so they still slope up a bit even when in the "down" position), but a few manufacturers make 17 degree ones, e.g. 3T:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B001KWIZN6/ref=dp_image?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&img=MAIN&color_name=x

bura wrote:Geometries do differ but in general the 73 degree head tube angle is very common.If you have a head tube with a 73 degree angle then a -17 stem will level with the ground.

Thank you very much.
That makes things much easier for me.
Yep, have a 73 degree head tube.
:)
Last edited by 2ndgen on Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

neeb

by neeb

Juanmoretime wrote:Yes and no. Everyone is assuming the head tube is 73 degrees but not all are.

I was assuming it was 73 degrees because that's what it says on the geometry chart for a CAAD9 in size 56.. :wink:

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

Juanmoretime wrote:
Yes and no. Everyone is assuming the head tube is 73 degrees but not all are.

Yeah...he got it Juan. :)

neeb wrote:
Juanmoretime wrote:Yes and no. Everyone is assuming the head tube is 73 degrees but not all are.

I was assuming it was 73 degrees because that's what it says on the geometry chart for a CAAD9 in size 56.. :wink:

You were spot on neeb. :thumbup:

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Juanmoretime wrote:
2ndgen wrote:Question on degrees:

Yes and no. Everyone is assuming the head tube is 73 degrees but not all are.

Juanmoretime,

Yes and no. Yes it is true that not all head tubes are 73 degrees, and therefore a minus 17 degree stem may not result in the stem being level with the ground. However, a 0 degree stem will be at a 90 degree angle to the headtube regardless of the head tube angle, even though head tube angle will affect stem angle to the ground. 2ndgen's question was poorly stated.

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

HammerTime2 wrote:
Juanmoretime,

Yes and no. Yes it is true that not all head tubes are 73 degrees, and therefore a minus 17 degree stem may not result in the stem being level with the ground. However, a 0 degree stem will be at a 90 degree angle to the headtube regardless of the head tube angle, even though head tube angle will affect stem angle to the ground. 2ndgen's question was poorly stated.

How so when that is exactly what I asked?
(Of course, based on the bike that is the topic of this thread.) :lol:

cornas

by cornas

ChamoisTime wrote:Gotta love seeing people with slammed stems riding with their hands on the tops while rolling along in a paceline on the flats. "I'm just relaxing right now". Right, and your arms are almost locked out even when you're giving it your all.... :roll:

Yeah. And I love it when I pass people in the sprint who are trying to get som power with their bar in their chest. Or, people trying to pull in the break away with their arms folded like a swiss army knife. Racing isn't about comfort, it's about power.

Though I must admit that you cannot judge ones comfort on the bike by just watching how he sit. You actually have to ask...

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

cornas wrote:
ChamoisTime wrote:Gotta love seeing people with slammed stems riding with their hands on the tops while rolling along in a paceline on the flats. "I'm just relaxing right now". Right, and your arms are almost locked out even when you're giving it your all.... :roll:

Yeah. And I love it when I pass people in the sprint who are trying to get som power with their bar in their chest. Or, people trying to pull in the break away with their arms folded like a swiss army knife. Racing isn't about comfort, it's about power.

Though I must admit that you cannot judge ones comfort on the bike by just watching how he sit. You actually have to ask...

Why?

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

For anyone who's interested, here's what I ended up with.

I took it down to the headset top-cover and I just didn't like it.
So, it's 2.5mm from being slammed, but it's perfect for me.
It's a 6 degree rise which takes away some of that aggressive
stance that the Bonty gave me and 120mm as opposed to the
110mm of the Bonty, but with the less radical drop (flipped),
it's surprisingly comfortable.

I'll put some miles on it soon, but if it's not as stiff as the Bonty was, I'll go
back to the Bonty and paint those hideous white graphics to murder it out a bit.
FYI, I used the Bonty black bolts instead of the Edge's silver bolts.

Original height w/ spacers:

1st cut:

2nd cut w/Bonty stem:

Final set-up:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

Hi guys, I am trying to lower this stem that you see below. Last year I was on a Thomson which is -10 degrees, this year I am on a FSA which is -6 degrees. I have been to several good shops and they have no ideas. I saw this online but I don't know if it would be what I am looking for. http://www.veloflyte.com/carbon_fiber_i ... ust_shield
Is that what I need or do you have any other ideas?
Thanks guys.
Attachments
IMG_1083a.jpg