Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:35 am
Recently the board software has been updated and there are some known bugs/failures:
- Avatars are currently not being displayed ✔ FIXED
- Tapatalk connection is currently broken ✔ FIXED
- Avatars cannot be uploaded ✔ FIXED

Please note that we will soon do some changes in WW board template design in case to get a fully mobile/desktop responsiveness board!
If you find more errors please post it here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=139062

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:19 pm 

I realize that the published reach measurements are 75mm and 77mm, respectively, but that effective reach on bars can vary widely. Does anyone know if the effective reach difference is for these two models?

I've already searched Google, combed the forums and looked at Fairwheel's handlebar article (no data on the SLX3 is included) so I'm hoping that one of you might be able to furnish the answer. Thanks you in advance!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:21 pm 

I think it depends a little on the groupset used, but a slx3 + campy compared to an ergonova + DA was a really big difference, almost 1 cm! Everything has to do with the place were the levers mount on the bar. A lot higher with the slx3 as with the ergonova i presume, or it has to do with campy vs DA. I bought the ergonova secound hand, and sold it the day after : to much reach and levers to low on the bars compared to my other bike with slx3 + campy. I now run a Profile Canta ss with 70mm reach, and in real live, the feel is close to the slx3. I don't think you will find a lot of bars with less 'effective' reach as the slx3. Those are really nice!

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:21 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:04 pm 

Personally I dont like the Ergonova (carbon) because I have often my hands on the outer rounded edges of the top bar.
Especially there the Ergonova has no "flesh" on the top. So your handpalm has not the right grip. Exactly there it misses ergonomics. Pretty odd imo.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:25 am 

+1 @Delorre...also, the drops of these bars is quite different. The Ergonovas are more pronounced crescent-shape, while the SLX3 drops are round-ish. Also the taper /sweep from ramps to drops on the SLX3 is bit more pronounced.

My 2013 Cervelo R5

Last edited by em3 on Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:48 am 

Its really hard to say how the "effective" reach will vary until you actually have them mounted up to your preference. On the internet though, you're not going to get much further than the manufacturers published measurements unless you have them all to compare, like fairwheel did. Its going to come down to millimeters depending on how you prefer the bars to be rotated, shifters to be mounted, and let alone which shifters you use.

As far as I know, there are a few 75mm reach bars out there, the SLX3's are one of the shortest reach bars on the market with a nice simple round shape. They're all I ride, I love them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:48 pm 

Thank you for the replies. I get the impression that the EC90 will have a shorter reach (that's what I'm looking for) but there are some things that I like about the Ergonova, in theory at least. Both the flattened tops and the flared drops intrigue me. I bought a second hand one on Ebay today. If a good deal on a EC90 comes up down the road maybe I'll make the switch.

Normally with compact bars I see them mounted so that the top of the outside of the bars leading to the brake hoods is level and the brake hoods are level with them forming a continuous flat section. I wish that I could describe what I mean better. If I were doing a study on effective reach I would use that configuration as my criterion for measuring the reach of compact bars.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:50 am 

Go have a check on Ritchey PRO/WCS Logic II which have shorter reach than EC90SLX3. I using it and find it better than the egonova.

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:50 am 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:54 pm 

what do you exactly mean by "effective reach"? :)

Does bars, which has backward sweeping upper curve (like Ritchey Evo Curve bend) has "lesser" reach sompared to the claimed? :)