Rapha Clothing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

The biggest jerks/dicks/whatever are those judging individual riders by their appearance.
With this, are there jerks that are too-cool-for-school young riders that eschew an elitism against, ironically, an elitism? Yes.
Does it apply to people who are Cat 1 through 5? Sure.
Does it apply to people who are just starting out riding? Yes.
Does it apply to the jerks who go onto the intro/gallery thread and say that "I don't like how this looks, you need to change such & such" or "flip it" when the OP did not ask for opinions? Yes, and many of us are guilty there especially.

This is regardless of what kit they are wearing, what team kit they ride with, the bike they are riding, where they are riding, or any other factor of judgement from a distance that does not include riding behaviour.

Poor riding behaviour is another factor entirely and is best addressed by talking with the person and helping them rather than berating them.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

I wonder If I can buy some Rapha if I want to ride solo. Most people will assume I am an ass and will not try to suck my wheel. Win win.

mattydubs

by mattydubs

I would be dishonest if I were to pretend that, even if it's just inner monologue, I never mock other riders for their aesthetic (or lack thereof). It is a very human thing to do. Recumbent riders in knee high socks who will ramble on about the efficiency of their riding position (while they amble along at 15-17 mph), dentists on Serottas (or Orbeas which in Colorado seem to be the new dentist whip) with seat bags and mirrors on their helmets, etc.

It's fun to do and it is one of those "us/them" things, but it's mostly harmless. Do I think it's silly to wear team replica kit? Of course. Do I think saddle bags/man pods are ugly and unnecessary? Yes. But... I don't dislike those people.

In the same way that I don't care for the look of Assos, I don't harbor any ill will towards those that do. I won't refuse to go on a club ride because someone rolls up in a Pink Floyd jersey. People are free to like what they like. Unless you're a tri guy. Then you're just sad.

Besides, who doesn't get a little wind in their sails when they pass someone on a mountain climb who's bent over the latest Madone in any sort of fancy kit.

I like Rapha and if you don't, cool. Unless you're a tri guy, of course.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Bingo. :beerchug:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

RudyMontana

by RudyMontana

:up:

That was a good post.

Northoceanbeach

by Northoceanbeach

I'll leave it at what he said. If I see you out riding a road bike and you are wearing a fleece jacket or Rapha and you want to ride with me you can.

I agree it's that inner monologue we have in our heads we are making public here on the forum. I doubt it's THAT big of deal in real life to most of us.

I just f Ing like bike clothes for some reason. If I got to win $2000 of parts or $2000 of clothes I'd take the clothes.

And I bet I'd save more weight with the new clothes too :wink:

Vagabond

by Vagabond

All the talk of cycling is this or cycling is that is silly. Let cycling be whatever it is to you and leave it at that. The only people who are in the wrong are those who pass judgement on others for not feeling and behaving and spending money the same way they do about whatever. Personally, I like the look of Rapha even though I don't own any of their stuff. When you pass me on the road I'll be the guy on the Campagnolo adorned Colnago in the Assos kit with non technical wool gloves. You can look down your nose at the Euro wanna-be over priced bike riding pilot. (Not a dentist) Or, you can just return my smile and wave and go on enjoying the day and the ride like I will be.
Colnago e Campagnolo

RudyMontana

by RudyMontana

I want to share a recent experience as I believe it relates somewhat to this thread. First, I concede that Rapha manufacturing in China has thoroughly discussed, so excuse me for beating a dead horse.

I was shopping for a new pair of boots yesterday and stumbled into a local shop where I normally buy shoes. I picked out two pairs of John Varvatos to try on. Both similar in style. One John Varvatos USA priced at $198 the other John Varvatos priced at $499. Not knowing why such a drastic price difference I asked the sales associate. She informed me that the John Varvatos USA was actually manufactured in China while the other shoe was 'hand made' in Italy.

I tired on one shoe on each foot to allow for a comparison. It was immediately clear the difference in quality. This can be expected with such a discrepancy in price. You pay a premium for goods manufactured in Europe. I get that. What I don't get is paying a premium for goods manufactured in China. I am happy that John Varvatos understands that and understands that consumers know the difference. I am not sure Rapha does...

drmutley

by drmutley

Here's a funny recent eBay listing of some rapha hate I posted on another forum...

Look at this on eBay:

RAPHA JERK T SHIRT PINK L

http://bit.ly/XwEUWK

wingguy

by wingguy

prendrefeu wrote:This is regardless of what kit they are wearing, what team kit they ride with, the bike they are riding, where they are riding, or any other factor of judgement from a distance that does not include riding behaviour.

I agree with this in principle.

However, I did once see a guy walk into a cycling shop wearing a pink Rapha cycling cap with upturned brim... who had driven to the store. Until I'm proved wrong I'm going to carry on assuming this guy was a bit of a tit.

Northoceanbeach

by Northoceanbeach

Oh my gosh, I just read that on rapha's page and it doesn't seem like anything an Englisb clothing implant would write. Is it real? It was pure lithification of ChIna and "the west sucks ass and can't compete with the superior quality of China!"

It even goes on to talk about how great China is and how the west is going town the toilet. Aren't they trying to sell to white pseudo hipsters?

As a final note I like how they stress "key pieces" are made in china. How about almost everything but the gloves and some bibs. Does almost all count as key pieces?

This company is f'ed. I like the stuff but they sure go to great lengths to justify their greed. I think they were better off a couple years ago when they were pleading the "we can't compete otherwise" shite.

I can't read any more about Rapha it I'll become a hater too.

photocycler

by photocycler

wingguy wrote:
prendrefeu wrote:This is regardless of what kit they are wearing, what team kit they ride with, the bike they are riding, where they are riding, or any other factor of judgement from a distance that does not include riding behaviour.

I agree with this in principle.

However, I did once see a guy walk into a cycling shop wearing a pink Rapha cycling cap with upturned brim... who had driven to the store. Until I'm proved wrong I'm going to carry on assuming this guy was a bit of a tit.

I can agree there may be a stereotype

But the same can be said for nice expensive road bikes. Especially brands like specialized where it seems people walk in and buy the most expensive bike without having any idea what they bought.

The posers or whatever you want to call them will always buy the most expensive stuff since they think it will make them look or ride better.

I am nota Fanboy, but after purchasing my first rapha gear. I am hooked, it feels like nothing else I have worn and I love the simple looks.

It's not for everyone and not cheap. They do offer some things to offset the cost like their return policy and other things. If you buy in a bundle or wait for a sale it's reasonably priced for the level of quality you get

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

wingguy wrote:However, I did once see a guy walk into a cycling shop wearing a pink Rapha cycling cap with upturned brim... who had driven to the store. Until I'm proved wrong I'm going to carry on assuming this guy was a bit of a tit.

sometimes people drive cars to stores whilst wearing cycling related apparel. shocking.