Creaking in the headset area

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

marko

by marko

I have creaking up front and not sure how to correct it. I asssume one can lube things to get rid of the noise, but what can be lubed and what cannot or what is it that is creaking up front. I swaped out the stem thinking it was the stem area, but it still is. I know for sure it is not the pedals or BB.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drjones96

by drjones96

Is it a Cane "Creak"?

Sorry, bad joke. :lol:

Camelfred

by Camelfred

Carbon-Spacers ?
Camelfred

nexusheli

by nexusheli

If the headset is adjusted properly, have the frame and steerer checked for cracks. Regardless of the headset, creaking up front indicates some problem that really needs to be found and fixed quickly.

PalleRaa

by PalleRaa

Mine FSA headset starte creaking after my last trip to in the forrest. I was only hearable when turned over 45degrees away from center. I disasembled it completely whiped any dirt off and put it back together. That solved the problem.

If you have a integrated headset it could be a bit more serious, since it may be the headtube on the frame which is bend or something...

/PalleRaa

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I have creaking up front and not sure how to correct it.

Turn the handlebar gently from one side to the other with the frontwheel off the ground.
If you hear the creaking sound it could be the shifter/brake cables and/or the headset.

Check if the cable routing hasn't changed and lube the cablestops at the frame entrance (barrel adjusters and brake cable tensioners).

Check for creaking again.

If that doesn't help chances are the bearings inside the headset have run out of lubrication or have worn out.
If they're worn this usually shows up as slack in the fork/head interface.
Tightening may help for a while but beware not to overdo it has the steerer may lock up in the middle of a turn.
Not a pleasant feeling when it happens and could be dangerous too.

Not all of these headset bearings are accessible to the end user, the top one might, so you may need help from a tech at the LBS.

All in all, when in doubt best have it checked at your LBS.
Safety first. :wink:

Ciao, 8)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

marko

by marko

It is a new cross bike with metal steerer tube.

marko

by marko

You lube things enough, it goes away. That's a good thing.

Boonen

by Boonen

have you tried taking the headset out of the frame? If dirt or water comes in between the cups and the frame there will be a creaking noise. If cleaning and lubricating everything doesn't help, this might be the solution.

sharkman

by sharkman

Most of the times what people think to be headset noise in the end appear to come from the quick releases (specially tune and dt are known for this) put some grease (inside and outside) and tighten the release enough.

Boonen

by Boonen

That is also a very good tip (and a quick fix if it works!) Make sure to clean the dropouts on your fork as well. Don't put too much grease or oil on there because it will attract sand. Some dry lube or wax will work best.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

After trying the above mentioned ideas, cleaning and reinstalling, skewers, cables, if it's still there it may be the frame needs to be faced.

Erez_Pinarello

by Erez_Pinarello

Hey,

We are familiar with this creeking sound.

some possible causes:
1.QR made from alloy and the dropouts of the fork also - take another wheel to see if the sound is out.
2. space or dirt between headset (for integrated) and frame. Take it out, clean, put greeze between the bearing and the frame.
3. stem-handlbar connection - maybe you have sand in the bolts of the stem. - put white greeze - special, between the stem and handlebar (clean it before :-)
4. knob on the fork top is not closed strong enough - try it.

Hope it will work.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com