Michelin Pro 4's vs Conti 4000S ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dunbar42

by dunbar42

kgt wrote:As for how it rides, the casing is more supple the thinner the threads are (assuming they’re not stuck too tightly together). It more easily absorbs small inconsistencies in the riding surface, and this reduces the rolling resistance and increases the grip by increasing the amount of contact between the tire and the riding surface."

Ya, let's compare durable training tires to fragile race day tires that last a fraction of the miles and puncture much more easily. I hope your team car follows you around if you're going to train on tubulars.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rnarito

by rnarito

Sounds like most everyone else's experience is the same as mine, Pro4's roll smoother than Conti 4000's, but don't last nearly as long and tend to puncture more often. I hate changing flats and swapping out worn out tires. I'll take the rougher ride and longer wearing Conti's any day!

kgt

by kgt

dunbar42
Puncture resistance has little to do with train vs race tires. Veloflex is a nice example of top quality, light and durable tire that may last for thousands of kms.

zander

by zander

I have been on Conti 4000S about 4000km. I have had no flat. I think tires have still some kilometers to go but I want something different to test. I have planned to buy Vittoria Open Corsa CX or Veloflex Corsa. I just can't decide :) It seems that not so many shops are selling Veloflex.

sawyer

by sawyer

davidalone wrote:
Tinea Pedis wrote:crr isn't the whole picture, as this blog demonstrates

http://bikeblather.blogspot.fr/2014/07/ ... -town.html

tl;dr the 4000s isn't close to the 320TPI tyres in rolling resistance. But makes up a lot with its aero profile.

I'll even hold back from an equally snide reply related to riding before you write ;)

if you hang out on slowtwitch alot... you'll also find that Tom A. and others have pretty much determined that the aero properties of the GP4000 go out the window pretty quickly once they start to wear. Plus, the gp4000 needs to be matched well to your wheels... which not all are.

Note that only the rear Conti squares off dramatically and the rear is much less significant for aerodynamics

I've used most of the tyres mentioned on this thread and can't feel al that big a difference in ride quality between a 23c GP 4000 S/SII and a 23c Vittoria (which runs a bit wider). A bit but not huge. Smaller than any 23mm > 25mm difference in a particular tyre line.

On tubs (Comps vs Corsa/SCs) it does feel a bit more different, though some of that will be down to the narrower size of Conti Comps(22mm)
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

User Name

by User Name

When did the 4000S 2 come out? Crikey, I'm WAY behind

upside

by upside

About a year ago.

User Name

by User Name

Thanks. Yikes, I'm way off. :thumbup: :mrgreen:
Do they feel better?