Michelin Pro 4's vs Conti 4000S ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Courant

by Courant

DMF wrote:I was equally didsappointed with the width of my 25mm Ultremo ZX that came in 23mm, as my old 23mm Ultremo ZX was 24mm on the same rim. Although I've noticed that they've grown quite a bit when mounted. Were up to 24.5mm average (19mm OD rim) after a month and then stopped growing.

Read on other foruma that this is fairly usual with tires, both road and mtb, that they stretch a fair bit. But still compared to 25mm Pro3 they are tiny.

I've learnt something new - my Ultremo's have also increased in size!!! About 24.5mm now, still narrow, but let's see where they settle! Amazing, I always thought the casing was essentially non-stretch.

Regards,

Courant

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

Should be getting mine (Michelin Pro4 Comp Service Course) by tuesday. I had logged about 3000 on my Pro3's with a total of 2 flats on each tire in 9 months. The conditions here can be gritty with glass off A1A but for the most part its pretty clean. The Pro3's grip so well in the rain that I could not give them up despite the flats. The one thing I did notice from the Pro3's is how fast the tire compound became cut up and brittle. I am anxious to see how well the new tires hold up since my rear tire is about done.

Shoemakerpom2010 :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robertg

by robertg

Have you received your Pro4 Comp Service Course yet? All the places I check only have the regular Service Course in stock.

claus

by claus

! Michelin Pro4 Comp Service Course

So far I can find those tyres only in Germany and the shops charge a huge amount for shipping...
Where did you order yours?

KLabs

by KLabs

claus wrote:! Michelin Pro4 Comp Service Course

So far I can find those tyres only in Germany and the shops charge a huge amount for shipping...
Where did you order yours?

Hi claus, try here ... http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/road-t ... G/MICHTYRF

claus

by claus

Michelin uses the following names:
* MICHELIN PRO4 Endurance,
* MICHELIN PRO4 Service Course,
* MICHELIN PRO4 Comp Service Course,
* MICHELIN PRO4 Comp Limited Service Course.

Ribble lists three Pro4 tyres right now:
MICHTYRF221 - Michelin Pro 4 Endurance Folding Tyre
MICHTYRF211 - Michelin Pro 4 Race Folding Tyre
MICHTYRF209 - Michelin Pro 4 Race Service Course Folding Tyre

The first one is an obvious match, the last one seems to be the same as "PRO4 Service Course" because it is listed at 110tpi. The middle one might be the "Comp" but:
- there is no description on the Ribble website at all,
- it's "out of stock" anyway.

Maybe sometime this month they will become available (hopefully at my favorite site for tyres.)

robertg

by robertg

Word from QBP is at the end of February.

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

I am running the "PRO4 Service Course" since they are the only ones available here in the states via ebay. My Pro3's were shot and I needed tires to commute so I went to the Pro4. My intension was to get the comp version but nobody had it. The service course version seems to work very well although it did feel bigger maybe because of the new profile. They also felt a little more sticky then the pro3's did at 110 pressure. I like them so far but if I see somebody gets the comp version and they say they are that much lighter and better then I will put these on the wife's bike. :thumbup:

robertg

by robertg

What did the Service Course weigh in at?

MrMojo

by MrMojo

Just had two Pro 4 Service Course delivered today. Just weight one and it was 204g.
2021 Colnago Master
2020 Colnago C64
2017 Colnago C60
2017 Colnago V1-R
2014 Cipollini RB1K
2008 Colnago Extreme C
2005 Colnago C50
2001 Colnago C40
1996 Colnago Tecnos

terminus

by terminus

kervelo wrote:The Tour did not have the 4000S in the test. The new attack/force tyres have the same technical specs as the Conti RS tyre, which is no longer produced in 2012.

These are the tyres tested and their result (smaller number means better result):
Conti attack/force 1,5
Conti 4season 25mm 2,1
Hutchinson Fusion3 3,0
Hutchinson Fusion3 tubeless 2,8
Michelin Pro4 race comp 2,4
Michelin optimum 25mm 2,5
Schwalbe Ultremo DD 25mm 3,0
Schwalbe Ultremo Zx 2,0
Specialized roubaix pro 2,8
Specialized turbo pro 2,6
Vittoria Diamante pro 3,3
Vittoria Rubino pro 3,0

so did Continental change the rubber formula for the Attack/Force?

Rick

by Rick

I was so disappointed with my Pro 3s that I am not inclined to even try the Pro 4. I can't remember exatly, I think they both lasted about 3 weeks. :cry:

On the other hand, I have a basement full of Conti GP and 4000s that got worn down to pretty close to the threads, so I replaced them and thought I would use the older tires on training wheels. But I just can't wear them out fast enough, so the stock just keeps building up over the years. :beerchug:

are

by are

I just got some Pro 4's. I have been riding the Conti 4000s, but wanted to try something different. I put the Pro 4 on my rear wheel, but not yet the front. I bought the "Pro 4 Race Service Course" version from Ribble. After a few rides it seems fine and no bad cuts, etc. Compared side-to-side with the Conti, however, it looks noticeably narrower; maybe 1 or 2mm difference. If I like the tire I might buy 25mm next time.

krusty

by krusty

petromyzon wrote:Thanks! Yeah, I gather the new shape is supposed to help them find the shoulder rubber more quickly when you lean them over, and to make them quicker, but in practice maybe we will just be able to run them for a bit longer on the rear before they are totally square:)

The shape is not new. Dunlop called it a "trigonomic" profile back in the '70s with their K81 and K81R motorcycle tires. I used them on my motorcycle, and the shape is not hype. They were so far advanced in terms of cornering feel compared to anything else on the road back then. The contact patch increases in size as the tire is leaned over. I can't see the benefits being as readily noticeable on a bicycle, but I'm about to buy a set and try.

As for puncture resistance, I'm not the best person to comment on that aspect of any tire. I haven't had a flat since 1978.

cep111

by cep111

kervelo wrote:German Tour magazine tested some tyres in their September 2011 issue. The Michelin Pro4 Race Comp had approximately the same rolling resistance (40,9 Watts) as the Conti GP 4Season (40,4 Watts), which is a bomb proof winter tyre. The best tyre in the test was Conti GP Attack/Force (31,3 Watts).

Any links to the latest Tour tire test?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com